1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Intel Atom Processor Notebook

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Star, Mar 16, 2009.

1. ArMiXiA

ArMiXiA Well-Known Member

Does anyone have an Atom Laptop that can last through class and notetaking while surfing, all day (6-8 hours of class) with no charging?

2. adversity04

adversity04 Well-Known Member

I think I've managed to squeak out a little over 6 hours on my NC10. Had to have the brightness all the way down and in XP, not ubuntu.

3. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

Does anyone have an Atom Laptop that can last through class and notetaking while surfing, all day (6-8 hours of class) with no charging?

I've hit it on my Asus.

Just make sure you get a model with a 6-cell battery, and you'll be ok.

4. arduous1

arduous1 Active Member

have the old 10 inch asus eee pc 1000h
    difference for the new one the 1000e includes:

better battery life 6 cell bout 5 hrs life i get bout 3.5 with older style battery, which is enough for me
    keyboard is similar to the new macbook pros chicklet style, most don't seem to like it as much, but it has better positioning of the right shift button which is a problem with the old one. older one has more traditional keys which apparently are better for touch typing.
    slightly faster processor as previously mentioned 1.66 vs 1.6 ghz i believe
    and the finish is shiny on the inside, just like the outside on the newer model, which i don't like (older is shiny on outside, but matte on inside).
    otherwise, pretty much the same.

at current price, under $400 for the latest 1000e, i think its a great deal

some feel its a bit heavy as well, but that stems from the battery, which is one of its greatest assets.

hope this helps,

ard

5. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

have the old 10 inch asus eee pc 1000h
    difference for the new one the 1000e includes:

better battery life 6 cell bout 5 hrs life i get bout 3.5 with older style battery, which is enough for me
    keyboard is similar to the new macbook pros chicklet style, most don't seem to like it as much, but it has better positioning of the right shift button which is a problem with the old one. older one has more traditional keys which apparently are better for touch typing.
    slightly faster processor as previously mentioned 1.66 vs 1.6 ghz i believe
    and the finish is shiny on the inside, just like the outside on the newer model, which i don't like (older is shiny on outside, but matte on inside).
    otherwise, pretty much the same.

at current price, under $400 for the latest 1000e, i think its a great deal

some feel its a bit heavy as well, but that stems from the battery, which is one of its greatest assets.

hope this helps,

ard

Good review. Do your webpages load quickly? Do you use a pc card?

6. xpress

xpress Well-Known Member

I don't have time for a review right now...
    But I've got an Acer One (the XP version with a gig of ram)

Its size is absolutely perfect for the cafe and light traveling.

I keep a full sized laptop, but for the price of the One.. I couldn't pass it up..

Great purchase IMO

7. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Well-Known Member

I don't have time for a review right now...
    But I've got an Acer One (the XP version with a gig of ram)

Its size is absolutely perfect for the cafe and light traveling.

I keep a full sized laptop, but for the price of the One.. I couldn't pass it up..

Great purchase IMO

I just ordered one today. Was on 38% discount so I wasn't able to resist. Actually wanted to get the Asus 1000H but screw it, this was so much cheaper & lighter and I only need it to cary it with me wherever I go and surf the internet / use instant messaging (already owning a notebook and a regular computer).

It's the Acer Aspire One A110X with the 16GB SSD, 1GB Ram and the 6-cell battery.

8. Star

Star Well-Known Member

Has anyone run an MS Excel Macro on one of these things? If I was to get one I would use it mainly for MS Wording and Data Modelling in Excel while on the move. Can it take it?

9. Szeph el raton

Ai dios, I'm teased to the max! There are rather cheap touch screen mods for some netbooks. Would be rather fine to be able to scroll in the browser, e-books and so on with just using your fingers on the screen.

But meh, first I'll wait for mine to arrive before I'll plan how to break it.

10. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Well-Known Member

Well, I am a bit peeved because I didn't get to take my Asus 1000HE to New Hampshire this weekend. I had to do work during my trip so I had to take my company Dell laptop. Not only that, I failed to summit Mt. Washington. Grr.

Anyway, hopefully I'll have more to report after my China trip in a few months.

11. Szeph el raton

After some problems with installing Windows XP Prof. (I created a new installer using nLite, there's no way I'll ever use a preinstalled OS) I managed to get my Acer Aspire One A110X running yesterday.

After installing a workaround found in a forum I can't even notice that the SSD is slow. Performance of the system is absolutely up to perform the tasks I bought it for.

I just noticed that it's small enough to put it into a drawer of the cabinet under my desk and close it while it's opened and running. Quite nice to reduce the nerd-factor. (Though have my fears about overheating in there)

First big test will be the 2 day trip to Interkama (trade fair in north Germany) in calendar week 17.