1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Info: Best Ties List

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by heard546, Dec 1, 2008.

1. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I have some 6 cum 7 folds from Kiton and Isaia and love them both.

You think they make big knots? Try the 10 fold Charles Thyritt I've got, wanna talk about a gorilla fist.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Anyone mentioned Barba yet? Best knots on me. Elegant, unique wovens too.

3. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Anyone mentioned Barba yet? Best knots on me. Elegant, unique wovens too.

I have 2, they are really nicely made, not as nice as Borrelli, but they do make nice knots.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I have 2, they are really nicely made, not as nice as Borrelli, but they do make nice knots.

I prefer my Barba to my Borrelli by a stupendous margins. Borrelli ties are alright

5. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I prefer my Barba to my Borrelli by a stupendous margins. Borrelli ties be awright

FTFY

6. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Well-Known Member

How's about Liberty (of London) and their vintage print silk ties?

7. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

FTFY

Thanks you

8. ziggyosk

ziggyosk Well-Known Member

I have one Kiton tie and I love the look and feel of it but I have trouble tying it. I always do a FIH and when I do it with a Kiton the tail end always ends up below the front part of the tie. I end up having to wrap it twice (which I don't like doing) and it takes me a few tries. I'm 6', so i'm not very short or tall.

Anyone else have this problem with Kiton? Are they all hard to tie like that?

9. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Well-Known Member

Where do Jerry Garcia ties rank on the list?

10. R.O. Thornhill

R.O. Thornhill Well-Known Member

Charvet ties are far and away my first choice - beautiful silks, nice weight, striking colours, make for beautiful knots (though some are too fat) - they probably make up 60% of my tie selection

Also like Drakes, some of T&A's selection and knits from Gallo

Rubinacci I am frankly less keen on. A number of times I have picked up a few after a boozy lunch at Scott's, only to find that (striking though the silks are) I just don't like the flimsiness of the construction and the way they knot

11. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Where do Jerry Garcia ties rank on the list?

Yo make fun but I sell the shit out of them over on d'bay.

Charvet ties are far and away my first choice - beautiful silks, nice weight, striking colours, make for beautiful knots (though some are too fat) - they probably make up 60% of my tie selection

Also like Drakes, some of T&A's selection and knits from Gallo

Rubinacci I am frankly less keen on. A number of times I have picked up a few after a boozy lunch at Scott's, only to find that (striking though the silks are) I just don't like the flimsiness of the construction and the way they knot

I love the charvet ties also, but I question their durability.

12. heard546

heard546 Well-Known Member

Try the elusive 12 Fold from Dolcepunta. I have a skinny neck, and purchased one only to return it because the it was too thick for me to wear.

tony
    I have some 6 cum 7 folds from Kiton and Isaia and love them both.

You think they make big knots? Try the 10 fold Charles Thyritt I've got, wanna talk about a gorilla fist.

13. TBSDSpaniard

TBSDSpaniard Well-Known Member

Bespoke (not the method, the company) ties.....fantastatic and cheap for what you get.

14. coverto

coverto Well-Known Member

I'll object to Drakes being relegated to second tier. Their silk knits and grenadines set the standard, and I recently discovered that they somehow manage to make madras an agent of divinity. Say nothing of the houndstooth, the repp stripes, the glen plaids....

15. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

Try the elusive 12 Fold from Dolcepunta. I have a skinny neck, and purchased one only to return it because the it was too thick for me to wear.

tony

I have a Dolcepunta tie and like it.

16. ziggyosk

ziggyosk Well-Known Member

Does anyone else ever have the problem with Kiton ties that I mentioned in my above post?

17. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I am in love with Cappelli at the moment.

18. kcc

kcc Well-Known Member

Charvet rules

19. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Charvet rules
    These are among my favorites, though their typical U.S. selection is too flimsy for my taste. They have some lovely prints, which for some reason are hard to find. Also some ruggedly woven silks done in unlined seven folds. I have always like Arnys as well, though you have to be picky to stay away from the too-weird prints.

20. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I associate Charvet with long-float wovens that fray too easilty. I also have come not to like the color schemes.

I have to admire the way they have created and maintained a unique signature design aesthetic, however.