• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

Jean-Baptiste

Reaction score
Anybody wishing to sell their Groupon coupon, please contact me!
smile.gif

LorenzL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jean-Baptiste
Anybody wishing to sell their Groupon coupon, please contact me!
smile.gif

I'm giving away one on my blog (read the latest article) or you can buy one at Groupon today, there is a deal for Chicago (everyone from the US/Canada should be able to buy it).

Swelter

Reaction score
Of all the new suits, which would be the best choice as a first suit? I know that most people recommend navy, but I've always been more partial to grey/charcoal. Is there a particular reason to go with one over the other?

It might help to know that I wouldn't wear the suit to work on a regular basis. It would probably be once or twice a month when I have client meetings, and maybe occasionally just to dress up for the hell of it. Being in a business casual environment and working in IT, I don't have many opportunities to do so.
redface.gif

LorenzL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Swelter
Of all the new suits, which would be the best choice as a first suit? I know that most people recommend navy, but I've always been more partial to grey/charcoal. Is there a particular reason to go with one over the other?

It might help to know that I wouldn't wear the suit to work on a regular basis. It would probably be once or twice a month when I have client meetings, and maybe occasionally just to dress up for the hell of it. Being in a business casual environment and working in IT, I don't have many opportunities to do so.
redface.gif

I think I'd go with the Essential Charcoal one then. Better fabric than on the basic charcoal and suitable for almost all occasions.

shopgrrrl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Towers
Indochino is back on Groupon in Ottawa for anyone interested.

http://gr.pn/eth99q

Today's Groupon piqued my interest enough for me find StyleForum (while searching for IndoChino reviews), join, read a lot of this thread, and now post.

As my husband has recently expressed interest in having some custom shirts made, I thought this might be an inexpensive way to try out the MTM process. However from what I'm reading here, it seems like the items aren't actually MTM, it sounds more like they take your measurements and match them to the nearest pre-fab size they have? I believe another poster called this ("adjusting the measurements based on their house cut").

My husband is 5'8", somewhere between a 38S and 38R. He's not particularly hard to fit, but there isn't typically a lot in his size range, and shirt sleeves are often a bit on the long side. For the $50 Groupon, we could get a shirt and a tie. I don't think I'd be willing to risk any more $$$ on the first order based on what I've seen here.

Is an IC shirt worth the $50?

Swelter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LorenzL
I think I'd go with the Essential Charcoal one then. Better fabric than on the basic charcoal and suitable for almost all occasions.

Thanks LorenzL. Question about coupon codes... I know the 20% coupon expired last week. How often do new ones usually come out? I have a groupon, but I'd rather hang onto it if there's a good chance of a 20%+ or % + free shirts coupon coming out this month.

LorenzL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Swelter
Thanks LorenzL. Question about coupon codes... I know the 20% coupon expired last week. How often do new ones usually come out? I have a groupon, but I'd rather hang onto it if there's a good chance of a 20%+ or % + free shirts coupon coming out this month.

I wanted to say Eternal Charcoal, btw. Those 20% coupons (incl. free shirts) used to be very common in 2010. But that was before the "groupon frenzy" started, so I don't know how many new coupons will pop up or if Groupon deals will be all we get. Hard to predict, really!

ZenStyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shopgrrrl
Today's Groupon piqued my interest enough for me find StyleForum (while searching for IndoChino reviews), join, read a lot of this thread, and now post.

As my husband has recently expressed interest in having some custom shirts made, I thought this might be an inexpensive way to try out the MTM process. However from what I'm reading here, it seems like the items aren't actually MTM, it sounds more like they take your measurements and match them to the nearest pre-fab size they have? I believe another poster called this ("adjusting the measurements based on their house cut").

My husband is 5'8", somewhere between a 38S and 38R. He's not particularly hard to fit, but there isn't typically a lot in his size range, and shirt sleeves are often a bit on the long side. For the $50 Groupon, we could get a shirt and a tie. I don't think I'd be willing to risk any more $$$ on the first order based on what I've seen here.

Is an IC shirt worth the $50?

They are MTM. Yes they have house cuts, but they then customize them to the given measurements and whether you pick 'regular" or "slim-fit" on the shirts.

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LorenzL
. Those 20% coupons (incl. free shirts) used to be very common in 2010. But that was before the "groupon frenzy" started, so I don't know how many new coupons will pop up or if Groupon deals will be all we get. Hard to predict, really!

Buying suits is discretionary, so I'm personally holding out for the 20% plus 2 free shirts.

LorenzL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbharris88
Buying suits is discretionary, so I'm personally holding out for the 20% plus 2 free shirts.

Yeah, agreed. The reason why I bought now with the Groupon coupon is that I basically don't need any free shirts anymore, I have plenty. But I sure hope that Groupon strategy is not long-term...

Frank Davis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbharris88
Yes, but not full price. There are lots of other made-to-measure options out there if you go above the $50-60 range in my opinion.

I totally agree with you. If you are really interested in getting something really good then maybe with just some more $10 on the initial $50 yo could get something very decent that will look great and last a greater deal than the later.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shopgrrrl

As mentioned above, they are made to measure. Any 'made to measure' operation requires a base pattern which is modified to the customer's measurements; the only other way would be to draft a completely new pattern from scratch for each customer, which would be 'bespoke' and would cost considerably more than MTM (and would not be possible using only measurements over the internet). This is all that they mean when they say 'house cut'. The shirts themselves are still made entirely from scratch to the measurements they are given.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads