1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Inception, who made the suits for the movie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Marc-OS, Jul 16, 2010.

1. chroMe

chroMe Well-Known Member

i thought the suits reminded me of walking down Dalston and seeing the 'made in Turkey' signs in the windows. Cheap.

Although, really liked Saito's white dinner shirt in one of the opening scenes.

2. Mata_Leao

Mata_Leao Well-Known Member

In the Esquire article above, Kurland says he designed the suits and they were made by Dennis Kim Tailors, a small Korean-American owned operation in Los Angeles. No mention of a Turkish Co. or subsidiary.

Anyone in LA used Dennis Kim? Maybe I will have to check him out.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

i thought the suits reminded me of walking down Dalston and seeing the 'made in Turkey' signs in the windows. Cheap.

Yeah, good film but the fashions on display weren't the best.

4. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Well-Known Member

a bit surprised about the mixed reactions in this post.
    i thought the wardrobe was far superior to anything i'd seen on film in years.
    some of the suits, particularly JGLs, were stunning imo.

5. JG000

JG000 Well-Known Member

some of the suits, particularly JGLs, were stunning imo.
    He tends to dress well in most of his films (500 Days of Summer, for instance) and off-camera. I've seen him in Details/ GQ/ Esquire spreads too. I wouldn't be surprised if he collaborates with the costume designers in advance and has a say in what he wears on film.

6. JG000

JG000 Well-Known Member

Would you have still made this same observation if you hadn't read (a few posts prior to yours), that the suits were made by a Turkish company?

7. chroMe

chroMe Well-Known Member

Would you have still made this same observation if you hadn't read (a few posts prior to yours), that the suits were made by a Turkish company?

I still walk down Dalston, so yes.

8. GlenCoe

GlenCoe Well-Known Member

I think the shirts were just way too clownish, Levitt in his 3 piece suit however, that's a different story. Sharp, but too tight. I have to check some screenshots to have a better look

9. Schwazer

Schwazer Well-Known Member

The shirt collar size, is that particular style or just large in size?

10. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

The tailoring was noticeable at least, and it is good to see a mainstream film that actually goes further than just costuming the cast and actually uses the style of characters in the development of the plot etc. However, rather like the film, it wasn't that good and falls apart if you look to hard at it.*

The advocacy for spread collars often has more to do with fashion not style. Sorry, but if you really think that there is something intrinsically better looking about spread collars, or that the points of collars should not be seen, you are not talking on grounds of style in the broad sense, you are either expressing a personal aesthetic opinion (which is fine), or you are simply unaware that you are a fashion victim (not fine).

*Oh, it's OT, but IMO Inception was massively overhyped, not in any way as complicated or deep as some people seem to think, and generally a big excuse for the overuse of special FX. Most of the (admittedly) stellar cast was sleepwalking their way through it. It doesn't hold a candle to Memento, which was by far the best thing that Christopher Nolan has directed, which had all of the psychological trickiness with none of the padding.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
    1 person likes this.