1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

In Praise of Trickers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lawman, May 13, 2009.

1. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

Also Tres Bien Shop, Present London, Hip Leeds, Nitty Gritty, etc.etc. in Uk and Northern Europe many shops make collaborations.

That Tricker's Herman was part of the "Cordovan Collection - Special Edition" made in 2008/2009 with Japanese cordovan tanned in Italy by Comipel in 12 colours.
    The idea of the collecton was of comipel and Italian distributor.
    Nice Shoes.

I do not know if they are still produced, ask Tricker's.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

I remember these, didn't he get them from the factory store as well?

3. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Well-Known Member

I've wondered about that. I find it slightly worrying that Tricker's aren't using Horween as Alfred Sargent and Crockett & Jones do. Is this simply cost cutting, or do they lack access to the good stuff?

4. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

The peculiarity of that collection was essentially the colours, some of which very unusual, purple, orange etc.

Probably they should use also Horween Shell on request for MTO

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  5. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

rabiesinfrance: some time ago I emailed Richard at SH about it, and Tricker's won't use Horween -- even on MTO pairs. This might have changed since. I'm sure this is mostly about cutting costs, though Comipel has a wide range of colours. Even green.

www.comipel.it

6. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Well-Known Member

They do 'bespoke' shoes - really MTO, not true bespoke. That would be £700 or so. I wouldn't pay that for a shoe made in that type of shell. The price would probably be more, in fact. I think you're on safer ground with other makers.

7. Marcellionheart

Marcellionheart Well-Known Member

Trickers also make bespoke shoes where they measure your feet aside from MTO where you design the shoe.

http://manufactureandindustry.blogspot.com/2010/01/trickers-bespoke-shoes.html

8. kev777

kev777 Well-Known Member

Just shattered all my desires !! :confused: :)

9. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

^Sorry about that, though I'd still like to think that this info saved you from a hefty amount of trouble, money and grief.

10. damiance

damiance Well-Known Member

Is that Comipel cordovan a real shell cordovan made of horse butt? .. like Horween's ? I have doubts about it.

11. thelonius

thelonius Well-Known Member

Yes, of course they do make bespoke shoes. You can get measured at Jermyn Street, I'm not sure where else. In this case the shoes will be hand welted not GY. And they also offer a hand-welted possibility with existing lasts. They quoted me approximately £1,000 for a pair of hand welted about 3 years ago. I guess it would be interesting to combine the purchase of a MTO pair which have been hand welted too.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  12. Todaystie

Todaystie Active Member

For those interested, Trickers just started their summer sale, a lot of goodies in there [​IMG]
    http://www.trickers.com/sale.html

Myself, I already own 2 pairs, a Chicago brown suede loafer and the Stow country boot, here a picture of the Stow

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Todaystie

Todaystie Active Member

[​IMG]

I managed to get me a pair of Bourton brogues from the sale, if the summer continues this way in Denmark, it's gonna be the perfect choice [​IMG]

14. Todaystie

Todaystie Active Member

I am really sorry if my post offended you in any way. Would you like me to delete it?

15. thelonius

thelonius Well-Known Member

No. Please don't delete it. But maybe you could say something about your appreciation of the Bourtons when you've started wearing them. I had a pair that I bought in 1979. I took them back to the Trickers factory to have the soles repaired in 2014. I wore them regularly all over the UK and the rest of Europe and didn^t take care of them much at all, but they proved to be almost indestructible. Bourtons have 3-layer thick leather soles. That's what I mean. Those shoes are not meant for keeping in a cupboard. But they can be hard to get used to, and then there's the weight issue. They're great shoes for sure.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  16. Todaystie

Todaystie Active Member

Off course they are not meant to be kept on a cupboard [​IMG]

The reason for that was to take a picture of them brand new as they had just arrived from the factory.

I've wanted a pair since I saw a really cool picture of them in a British fashion magazine 15 years ago. At that time I wasn't really into shoes or style for that matter, but that picture really kick started my interest in good English shoes.

Today I own a lot of good shoes, from a pair of Lobbs to 6 pairs of Churchs a few Crockett and Jones and some Cheaney and Alfred Sargents, I also own a pair of Stows as you can see from a previous post, and although the other brands are great, the Trickers just adds something extra, perhaps just a feeling that I don't know how to explain.

I love heavy tweeds, flannels and corduroy, and for that type of dressing Trickers is, at least for me, the perfect choice.

/Jimmy