1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

In Praise of Trickers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lawman, May 13, 2009.

1. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Well-Known Member

Don't forget their factory shop at eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/retricker1829/m.html (which is why I can never justify paying more than a couple of hundred pounds!). They usually have a good selection on there and they're a pleasure to deal with.

2. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Well-Known Member

Here's the e-mail:

Dear Sir

Thank you for your enquiry.
    You can send your shoes here to our head office and factory in Northampton where your shoes will be repaired on the lasts on which they were made.
    A full sole and heel = £150.00 + £10.00 postage, and a new welt, sole and heel = £185 + £10.00 postage.

It would be better for us to see your shoes, so we can advise what we can do. Unfortunately we cannot re-dye or refinish the faded areas but would only re-apply polish or shoe crème as you’ve already done.

If you’d like us to take a look at your shoes, please send them to:-

Mr Barry Jones
    R E Tricker Ltd
    56 - 60 St Michaels Road
    Northampton
    NN1 3JX

Please enclose a note with your shoes which contains your full address, so we can post them back to you, and a contact telephone number, together with details of exactly what repair and sole you require.

On receipt of the shoes we will also send you a letter acknowledging receipt, giving you a repair reference number and asking for payment before despatch of the shoes back to you (carriage is £10 per pair as we return your shoes by courier).
    Payment can be by way of a cheque or debit/credit card over the telephone.
    Repairs are currently taking approximately 3 weeks.

Kind regards,

Ailsa Fleming
    Marketing & Sales Support

R. E. Tricker Limited
    56 - 60 St. Michael's Road
    Northampton
    Northamptonshire
    NN1 3JX
    ENGLAND

Tel: +44 (0) 1604 630595
    Fax: +44 (0) 1604 624978

3. kev777

kev777 Well-Known Member

I've recently contacted Richard @ Shoehealer and he quoted me £65 for a full Rendenbach resole , admittedly for a pair of Church's but i cant imagine it would be any more for a pair of Trickers. The price youve been quoted there is in Edward Green territory no ? As Malford has already said you can get new Trickers off ebay for not much more than that :( David there is a real gent to and a pleasure to deal with i've had at least 4 pair off him.

4. rabiesinfrance

Thanks for the advice. Richard's really helpful - I'll look into it. He knows his stuff.

I like Tricker's, but I wonder if it's because the marron (and acorn) calf leather is relatively plain i.e. not burnished that they're unable to apply shoe dye? Just seems odd really. The faded patch on my shoe is where there's been a huge amount of flex. Part of me thinks that if they had been burnished then a greater depth of colour would have been promoted. In other words, once you're through the surface you're into different layers of colour.

It concerns me that they have put their prices up so much. Maybe Tricker's are struggling to compete with Crockett & Jones, or perhaps they are now doing so well that they feel they can cash in while they can?

Doesn't sit easily with me: they shouldn't really be squeezing customers like this!

[ATTACHMENT=499]Tricker's Bourton1.jpg (167k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

5. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  6. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

There has indeed been a significant price hike. I remember when trickers were about £245-260, and it wasn't long ago at all.

7. Ich_Dien

8. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Well-Known Member

^ Unless they specified that the uppers not be touched, which isn't unheard of when sending shoes in for a resole. So much for a resole costing 1/3 the price of a new pair...

9. rabiesinfrance

They should at least have tackled the salt marks and tried to restore colour to the uppers. You'd honestly be better going down the road than to the factory. Presumably, this would cost £150!

10. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

My Keswick cost me GBP 200 ex VAT in January 2009. Now its GBP 280, ex VAT.

I blame the Fed.

Thanks for your reply, Marcel. Is C Shade Gorse the orangey colour that I've seen some of the Trickers brogues in? If so this is not to my taste but if not I'd probably get the Keswick shoe with the wide 4444 last you mention with leather sole. If it is the orangey colour then I'll probably get another pair of Sandalwood Polished Binder Church's Graftons in 11 G fit and ask Church's to stretch them a bit before they send them out. I already have the Nevada Calf 11G fit Graftons that aren't quite wide enough and do hurt and aggravate the corns on my little toes.

According to my conversation with David @ ReTrickers,

4497S is the same length and width BUT it is tighter across the instep compare to the 4444 last, so has less volume it feels about 1/4 to 1/2 size smaller.

11. JamesX

JamesX Well-Known Member

I thought there is a significant difference between Resole and Recraft?

Resole is just replacement of the sole. The upper is not touched in any way aside form basic polishing. Recrafting is when they more or less reconstruct the entire tree, from cork bed, to upper restoration.

12. kev777

kev777 Well-Known Member

^^^ Wouldnt harm to give the shoes a good polish though would it? You would have thought that "a bit of pride" would at the very least do that for a customer. Personally i couldnt send back a pair of shoes after having been resoled without giving them a bit of a tickle with cream/polish, maybe thats a touch of OCD.

13. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

...according to Richard from SH, Tricker's has been constantly increasing their production during the last few years. Either there's been a sudden increase of popularity, or Tricker's has tapped into some wondrous source of orders.

14. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Well-Known Member

Trickers are also making a lot of shoes for retailers such as Kurt Geiger

15. kev777

kev777 Well-Known Member

Nothing secret nor wondrous about their increase in sales its all down to increased sales in the far east particularly Japan seemingly they go nuts for Trickers. So I guess we have to suck up the price increases of a company thats doing well and doesnt need to compete as hard for our hard earned. On the flip side its nice to hear of an English company doing well.

16. VRaivio

^Great info. It's heartwarming to hear one maker really going for it. I just wish they'd add more options to their dress range.

...by they by: has anyone ever managed to walk a pair of Tricker's to pieces? I don't mean solely soles, but also uppers beat to oblivion.

17. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

They do a lot of special edition shoes as well for a variety of brands/stores.

18. Ich_Dien

I would guess they are probably the market leader in doing this.

19. kev777

kev777 Well-Known Member

Shoehealer commission some fantastic versions of various Tricker models and The Bureau do some great specials. I've been trying to source some boots they did a while back Trickers Herman Mogano Shell they were just the bollox. I think Pengranger had a pair IIRC.

20. VRaivio

Beware of Tricker's shell cordovan, I had a pair. They source their material from the Italian firm Comipel and their cordovan was horrible stuff when compared to Horween's. Metallic odour, less oily shine and water caused welts quickly and they staid no matter what I tried. Not worth it.