1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

In a time pickle.... Tuxedo alternative?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Superfluous, Feb 3, 2013.

1. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Superfluous, you stated 'apparently you are going to a ball'. Have you any way to contact the person who extended the invitation to you? If so, why not just ask them directly for their input? I am sure they would be happy to clarify any concerns you have.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Dear Superfluous, I hope you're a much nicer guy in real life than you are coming across in this thread--too snooty to use a rental tux (I'm sure there must be some reasonably decent ones out there) or buy an inexpensive one (Some of the JAB tuxes are quite correct sartorially and presumably could be altered to a good fit), yet too cheap to buy a quality tux. So, you want us to give some validation to a third-rate, sub-tux ensemble?

Okay, go with your midnight blue suit and a black necktie (I would recommend a regular necktie over a bowtie in this situation)--you may fit right in, or you may look like a yokel, depending on the crowd you're with at the ball.

Another option you might consider is thrifting a quality tux. There are usually some pretty good ones to be had. In any event, I would suggest at least wearing a French cuff shirt.

Just my $.02.

1 person likes this.
  3. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

I'd wear the velvet jacket, but with tuxedo pants (or at least black) and a bow tie. And you really should have one nice, French cuff, turndown-collar, white shirt. That's pretty damn close to Black Tie attire.

I have a full BT set-up, but when I feel like changing it up, I wear my dark petrol blue velvet jacket instead of the dinner jacket. The depth and richness of dark velvet always looks good in dim, evening lighting.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  4. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

Yes, and I don't think she even cares too much about it. I think it's part of some organization she belongs to. I don't think I'll know anyone and I don't think she may even know anyone. It's kind of odd, but we're still going to go.
    No, but I have a feeling there wouldn't be much direction. If anything, they'll say black tie.
    I've had to rent before when I was in my friend's wedding (which is fine if it's at his request), but I wouldn't do it again by choice. Buying a cheap tuxedo that I wouldn't be comfortable wearing just for this event seems like a waste of money. On the other hand, spending $2000+ on a tuxedo also seems like a waste of money when I can't think of other potential times to wear one in the upcoming future. Regardless, this wasn't really the point of the thread but it seems like everyone wants to angrily comment on this. I'm really looking to see which of the two options is better. In the end, I think I'm going to get some of the accessories around a tuxedo and wear it with the midnight navy/black suit and move on. I feel like wearing velvet is an attempt to standout, but not doing it correctly might end up looking silly. It's probably better to do it "incorrectly" quietly in a regular midnight navy/black suit. I really don't think it's a big deal and makes more sense in the long run.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  5. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Velvet won't make you stand out. It's perfectly correct. But suit yourself.

6. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

Just a tip: try not to read emotion into our posts. We are offering our opinions, and yes, they may sound harsh if they are not what you want to hear.

Just a point for future personal and professional development: All such events are places to meet and network with people. Your next job could come from someone you casually meet. This is why many of us here were suggesting you take steps to be correct. -- So people remember you and not the outfit you have on. Wear what you like, but accept that you run the risk of not quite fitting in. And when you do get that tux, you'll find events that you can wear it to. even if it is on a night out with your girlfriend.

This event is obviously important to your girlfriend, go and mingle and have a good time.

7. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Reading between the lines a bit here, I think the issue stems from the assumed superiority of a SF member. We spend so much time studying what is "correct" or "quality" or "tasteful" that we form the opinion that we must be to-the-nines at all times. This is the type of thinking that leads to threads about wearing cashmere to the gym.

In reality there are very few here that are prepared to be SF-approved (whatever that even means these days) at all times. Most of us either lack the money, time, experience or taste to be perfect at all times, ready for the Sartorialist to tug on our pant leg asking for a close-up. This thread is a perfect illustration of that.

When in a pinch you need to realize that you can't have your cake and eat it too. You can do something properly, quickly or inexpensively. Pick two.

There's simply no way to cover all your bases. But, to be honest, there's also a great deal of over-thinking here. You're seeking the perfect fix that will meet applause from whnay's taste thread, your bank account and the guests in attendance. To be honest I think you need to worry about the last two far more than being the definition of perfectly dressed. Use this as a learning experience, sure. Have a tux in the back of your mind when you shop and keep an eye out. But don't torture yourself to meet some absurd standard when you know you have none of the tools necessary to meet it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  8. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure why you wouldn't be comfortable in a "cheap" tuxedo. The Joseph A. Bank and Suit Supply (assuming you close the vents) are both cheap and sartorially correct. There is no reason to feel uncomfortable in either. You would just want to get a few alterations done to make sure they fit, and you should be good.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

+1

10. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

No one thinks that they will work hence not giving you the support you are really asking for. Your existying options are not suitable, you have been given several suggestions all of which you dismiss without good reason.

11. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Yes there is. He'll feel put upon and thus uncomfortable. To me this would be like wearing a uniform simply because you have to. There are times and places for that, but this is presumably a social occasion.

Wear the midnight blue suit. If you stay with this woman and such events are part of her regular life, then invest in a proper dinner suit.

12. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

But what if every other man at at the ball is in proper black-tie regalia? The lad will look like a yokel. He'll be a laughingstock. It might even cost him his relationship with this lass. Then where'll he be?

On the other hand, given the state of black tie over most of the USA, he may do just fine in his midnight blue suit (or his velvet jacket, for that matter). It's his gamble.