1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Improper cleaning of my dress shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wowyahoo, Sep 20, 2016.

1. wowyahoo

wowyahoo New Member

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a pair of Allen Edmonds. I went out drinking after work. The following morning, I noticed some black tar-type gunk on my shoes. I used a damp towl to clean it off, and now my shoes look horrible. Also, at the airport someone accidently backed up and stepped on my shoe and skuffed the front up a bit, which happen the second time I wore them. Thank you for your advice.
    [​IMG]

2. wowyahoo

wowyahoo New Member

Well, I attempted to fix the problem by using Allen Edmonds walnut shoe polish. This did not work, since the polish is lighter than the strands. My shoe now looks multicolored. I tried to apply additional polish, which didn't help. The lighter, unappealing color is now spreading across the shoe, with some darker spots. I think my only option at this point is to send them back and have them refinished.

3. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Burn them?