1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I'm sick of converse

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by GoonerPride, Aug 29, 2006.

1. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

But when a girl wears Chuck's (but of course wearing it stylishly, and not wearing it like a slob), in my mind I'd imagine her to be pretty chill, and listens to some decent music.

Just something about a girl who wears Chucks. That and big headphones, girls who rock big headphones are sweet.

agree agree agree! girls wearing Chucks with no socks. i do find that incredibly sexy.

-Jeff

2. tundrafour

tundrafour Well-Known Member

My problem with Chucks nowadays is the price. How the hell can some a little bit of canvas, rubber, and two shoelaces work out to $40 (or even more for the typically hideous special/limited edition ones)?

Yeah, I know, they're popular and it's just supply and demand, but I bought the same shoes for $10 or so in grade school and they were popular then, too. The only difference was that they were made in the US then and are made in China now, which one would think would help keep the cost down.

Anyway, I've been wearing Chucks since I was a little kid and I don't really want to stop now just because a bunch of other people have them, too. But, at the same time, I do feel like an idiot for considering paying so much for them.

3. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

I was watching Josie and the Pussycats and thought that the girls looked really hot in the recording studio with their -- I think -- RS-1s.
    It's been awhile since I watched that movie (I own it on DVD. I used to have a thing for Rachel Leigh Cook [​IMG] ), but I thought they were one of the Joe Grado's silver ones? EDIT: [​IMG] HP-1000's.

4. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

mostly on hongers, but i assume your not talking about them
    Yeah, I totally forgot about the Hongers. But I don't know any, and don't speak with any of them normally, so I just ignored them in that statement [​IMG]

5. someoneNew

someoneNew Well-Known Member

My problem with Chucks nowadays is the price. How the hell can some a little bit of canvas, rubber, and two shoelaces work out to $40 (or even more for the typically hideous special/limited edition ones)?

Our Costco has them for $24 (maybe $27). Though the only color choice is dark blue.

6. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

I think Chucks are pretty much the black Oxfords of the sneaker world - eternally correct, but never too imaginative.

What I like about them is that they look good worn in, like jeans do, and you don't have to be too precious with them. Ideal for wearing to concerts etc. I buy mine in either black or white.

There are other canvas shoes - Dunlop Volleys etc - but none really look as good. Evisu do a variant with the bird logo, but I think in messing with the shape of the shoe, it loses a little something...

7. Goblin

Goblin Well-Known Member

Been wearing black Chuck high-tops for over 20 years. (Not the same pair.) Have outlasted the trendies several times.

8. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

They are pretty much the only sneakers I wear. I'm not planning to stop anytime soon.

9. patience82

patience82 Member

agree agree agree! girls wearing Chucks with no socks. i do find that incredibly sexy.

-Jeff

I've seen a Chucks/fishnets combination. Strangely appealing.

10. Oldboy

Oldboy Well-Known Member

Black lowtop chucks are my go-to shoes for drunken parties. I don't plan on abandoning them any time soon. [​IMG]

11. luk-cha

luk-cha Well-Known Member

i have been wearing vans this year much better!

12. dk7m

dk7m Well-Known Member

hmm I picked up a pair of leather black Chucks in Japan because the soles of my canvas pair were falling out and I absolutely love them because they're nice and shiny [​IMG]

13. wheelerray

wheelerray Well-Known Member

Wore them when I was a kid, but when I tried to go back to them as an adult I found them extremely uncomfortable-- too narrow and no padding. Like walking directly on the cement.

Just think, 30 years from now hipsters will be wearing Nike Air, Reebok, and New Balance from 2005 talking about what a classic, timeless design it is.

14. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Well-Known Member

Just think, 30 years from now hipsters will be wearing Nike Air, Reebok, and New Balance from 2005 talking about what a classic, timeless design it is.
    It could happen. All the cool kids will be wearing patterned polos, high waist jeans and New Balance 608s. [​IMG]

15. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I remember when i could get two pairs for 25$ and they were still made in America.

16. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

To you guys complaining about chucks being expensive, just to let you know they are 85-90$ here in Sweden, but still worn by everyone [​IMG]
    (i dont pay that retail though, no way)

17. Augusto86

Augusto86 Well-Known Member

I've never worn them, never will. For me its just the stupid little rubber toe - it always gets scuffed up and gross.

Plus it just doesn't go with my aesthetic.

18. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Well-Known Member

I never understood what attracted people to them and still don't. My step father went on a trip South when I was teen and found a place selling them for 5 dollars he is still wearing new pairs of them to this day.

19. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

hey what are the adidas high-tops which resemble pf flyers,chucks, and pro-keds called?

several members of the strokes wore them back 5-6 years ago.

robbie

20. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member