1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I'm gonna buy a BLACK suit.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dreamspace, Feb 6, 2013.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Number of weddings I have been to where a black suit was specifically requested and anyone would have been put off by a charcoal or navy suit: 0
    Number of funerals I have been where anyone was offended that I wore a charcoal suit: 0
    Number of non-costume parties I have been to where a black suit was specifically requested and anyone would have been put off by a charcoal or navy suit: 0
    Number of people other than you that I have seen suggest that a charcoal or navy suit worn instead of black is ever in poor taste: 0
    Repeat for description of not wearing a black suit being nonsensical: 0

The idea that wearing a black suit is in poor taste is a lot less nonsensical than the idea that wearing a charcoal or navy suit is in poor taste. I would like to know who this "many" is and if they are at all informed on matters of style of etiquette. If you like black suits, that's your business, but there is no authority for suggesting that not owning one is either nonsensical or in poor taste.

2. AdvisorJesse

AdvisorJesse New Member

A great black suit is the best idea. It falls under the lines of owning a great white dress shirt - every man should own at least 1.

Going with a black suit just means you can really play with textured ties.

3. dreamspace

dreamspace Well-Known Member

Ok so I picked up a black J.A Banks suit on sale, it's half-canvassed platinium line suit, only 600$

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  4. Dempsy444

Dempsy444 Well-Known Member

Don't ever represent yourself in court.

5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

+1

6. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Ah yes, when you haven't the ability to compose an actual argument ... attempt insult.

And when you haven't even the ability to compost insult.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  7. Zac Duncan

Zac Duncan Well-Known Member

Go with SOLID, it never out fashion!

8. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Exactly. But context is more or less immediately lost here when the subject of a black suit is raised. Auto-rant is immediately engaged, and follows a predictable course. I am pleased to see a few voices willing to speak against the tirade, though. That is most encouraging.

Oh, did I ever tell you about that one time at band camp - I found a brand new Kiton suit on sale for 35 cents, but passed on it because it was deal-breaker black? [​IMG]

9. Ivar

Ivar Well-Known Member

Black is for morticians and fashionistas, and never-ending evenings ...

10. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

definitely go solid. FWIW, i do think if you have the other basics covered, a black suit is a necessity. I dont have one either, and lately ive kinda wanted one. :embar:

11. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Come back when you learn how to compose an argument. The fact that you have the need to resort to a pretty bland and uncreative insult (seriously, if you're going to insult me, at least do it with a bit of pinache so I can have a chuckle) shows that you have nothing of substance to offer in response to my points.

12. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

It's hardly a necessity. But by all means, if you want one, get one.

When it comes to suits, I have more than average. Perhaps 100. Of course, I've been around for more than just a while and have had a few years to put the wardrobe together. And as I'm the same size today as back when ... and have long preferred style to fashion, I can still fit in the first suit Anderson & Sheppard made for me in the 70s. Not one of my suits is solid black. I really don't find that I'm missing anything. Even my dinner coats are midnight blue ... except for the two in creamy white.

13. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

14. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

If/when i get a dinner suit, im fairly certain id go midnight blue. Looks absolutely fantastic. But sometimes, as much as i hate to admit it, i want a slim black trendy suit. i know ill regret it, and i know ill look like a douche, but every once in awhile im pretty damn tempted.

I fugure ill give in one day and regret it horribly. :nodding:

15. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

DerekS, don't you dare tell anyone ... but I've thought from time to time that I'd like to have one. After the beautiful black suit I saw the other day, I'm thinking more about it. But at sixty-somthing ... I don't do the kind of clubbing that dictates a black suit.

16. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

It looks like you're wearing your big brother's suit

17. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

18. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

Figured as much [​IMG]

I really don't see the problem with black suits. I bought a double breasted one when I was in my early 20s and thought I looked dapper in it. Never bought another because I thought black was of limited use and this was long before I learned the rules of the suit game. I just preferred navy or charcoal. I still have the jacket from that second suit (my first was blue-ish/charcoal-ish number) and the jacket is currently hanging at my g/f's house. I don't think I will ever wear it again. Well not unless I take the blue pill and realize that I am actually living in the Matrix

19. cataan

cataan Well-Known Member

Both Carl Icahn and Warren Buffett wear black suits.

Moreover, to think that black suits in the work place or in the evening break some sort of long-established rule is nonsense. According to my parents (who are in their late 70s/early 80s) black suits were worn with regularity when they were younger, and this involves both the west coast and the east coast (U.S.).

20. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I like Warren. I have little to no respect for Carl. I know both. Carl dresses a little better than Warren. Neither is a style symbol.