1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I'm getting fat.

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Connemara, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Liberty Ship

Liberty Ship Well-Known Member

Gin & Diet Tonic, porky.

Concur. If it is just your stomach balooning out, you could have the beginnings of what they are now calling Syndrome X. Go to a diet like South Beach. Basically cut out all carbs for a couple of weeks, then reintroduce them judiciously, and then only whole grains. No sugar or sweets at all, ever. Gin and diet tonic is a good buzz with zero carbs.

2. lakewolf

lakewolf Well-Known Member

Running is what burns fat best. But is hard on the knees so for me Cycling is the sport of choice.... you can also skate, that would give you a nice ass [​IMG] !

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

Concur. If it is just your stomach balooning out, you could have the beginnings of what they are now calling Syndrome X. Go to a diet like South Beach. Basically cut out all carbs for a couple of weeks, then reintroduce them judiciously, and then only whole grains. No sugar or sweets at all, ever. Gin and diet tonic is a good buzz with zero carbs.
    Alcohol is pretty calorie dense even if it isn't a sugar per se. It's metabolized by alcohol dehydrogenase to pyruvate and then enters the TCA cycle along with sugars. I wouldn't include it in a diet of any sort.

4. SUPER K

SUPER K Well-Known Member

Good point, drizzt3117 . I 've really cut back since my tri coach said to think of alcohol as liquid candy.

5. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

^ To expound the point, there are 7 calorie in each gram of alcohol compared to 4 in a gram of carbohydrates.
    Granted, alcoholic drinks are all diluted, but the calories add up quickly. For example, a shot (25ml) of gin contains 50 cal.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

^^ Alcohol also makes you retain water and slows down your metabolism. It is like three strikes in one.

7. TheHoff

TheHoff Well-Known Member

^^ Alcohol also makes you retain water and slows down your metabolism. It is like three strikes in one.
    And beer gut is not a myth; it will deposit right around the midsection and you will end up skinny-fat. I wouldn't start running or serious cycling without adding in resistance training as well as you aren't fat all over.

8. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Well-Known Member

Does it? I thought it was a diuretic and makes you piss like a racehorse?

9. TheHoff

Does it? I thought it was a diuretic and makes you piss like a racehorse?

Diuretic Effect: Alcohol is a diuretic that blocks vasopressin (Anti-Diuretic Hormone) from regulating the osmotic gradient of the blood, therefore it is not the overall amount of fluids, but the total alcohol content that affects urination frequency (i.e. one pint of ale will make you piss as much as a good-sized shot of hard alcohol).

(erowid)

10. whacked

(erowid)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

Exercise is great, but if you're gaining weight, you'll need to cut calories. Limit your alcohol, soda, and fast-food consumption. Substitute healthy foods like fruits and nuts for sugary snacks. Incorporate more fiber (whole-wheat bread, fruits, veggies) into your diet. If you're eating in a campus dining hall, do not take advantage of the all-you-can eat policy.

I have no data that supports this, but I suspect the low-carb diets work primarily because they remind people that sugars are carbohydrates.

12. TheHoff

I have no data that supports this, but I suspect the low-carb diets work primarily because they remind people that sugars are carbohydrates.

Right... Many people are addicted to sugars / simple carbs so going low-carb for a while will break the addiction and make weight-loss easier... IMO.

13. Dragon

Dragon Well-Known Member

Please. For God's sake, Connie is 19. Run. "Jogging" or walking is for old men or women. [​IMG]

Get a gym membership and use the treadmills. If you stay dependent of the weather and wait till it cools down to exercise, comes winter, you'll get obese. Seriously.

[​IMG] Actually that was part of my point. Since he is ONLY 19, he should not have to go the gym and waste several hours per day acting like a hamster or body builder. His body is still young, so just by cutting out junk and walking a little more, instead of sitting on the couch and using the car all time should do the trick.

If his hobby is body building, or if he likes the hamster machine, that`s a different story.

14. drizzt3117

^ To expound the point, there are 7 calorie in each gram of alcohol compared to 4 in a gram of carbohydrates.
    Granted, alcoholic drinks are all diluted, but the calories add up quickly. For example, a shot (25ml) of gin contains 50 cal.

I think it's actually a bit more than that for many gins... more like 65 calories.

25 ml x .47 (47% by volume for Bombay Sapphire, for example) = 11.75 ml

11.75 ml x 0.785 (specific gravity of ethyl alcohol) = 9.22g x 7 kcal/g = 65 calories. 80 proof gin would be more like 55 calories, though.

15. drizzt3117

[​IMG] Actually that was part of my point. Since he is ONLY 19, he should not have to go the gym and waste several hours per day acting like a hamster or body builder. His body is still young, so just by cutting out junk and walking a little more, instead of sitting on the couch and using the car all time should do the trick.

If his hobby is body building, or if he likes the hamster machine, that`s a different story.

Actually being young is the best time to lift weights, as your testosterone levels are higher than later in life.

16. j

j Well-Known Member

Actually being young is the best time to lift weights, as your testosterone levels are higher than later in life.
    This is Conne's thread dude, don't forget. [​IMG]

I tried 5-ish (5-7 reps) x 5 sets today, with very short breaks, and it worked pretty well. I'm going to try keeping that up for a while as I was able to do a lot more total work in the same amount of time. In the shower I could barely get my arms up to wash my hair. [​IMG]

17. whacked

I tried 5-ish (5-7 reps) x 5 sets today, with very short breaks, and it worked pretty well. I'm going to try keeping that up for a while as I was able to do a lot more total work in the same amount of time. In the shower I could barely get my arms up to wash my hair. [​IMG]

How much weight did you use?

18. drizzt3117

This is Conne's thread dude, don't forget. [​IMG]

This is true, I also forgot about the manboobs from high estrogen he was talking about before... hmm maybe he needs some aromasin and nandralone heh

19. j

j Well-Known Member

How much weight did you use?
    I did curls, upright rows and military presses with 20lb (+the bars) dumbbells (yeah I'm weak, plus my back can't handle heavy loads overhead), and about 30 total pushups in sets, which is probably more than I've done in the last year. I did a 1/2 mile on the treadmill alternating from walking at 4-ish mph to running carefully at about 6 mph for a couple of minutes back to walking slower, etc.

20. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

Alcohol really does give you that gut. It's funny to see all the really thin and in shape sorority girls around campus with that little pooch from drinking.