1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ill-designed things that are pissing you off

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by MetroStyles, Jul 5, 2010.

1. KenN

KenN Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Cant the height variance be more, as in, a good 2 feet? What's the point of having 2 with so little difference?

The short one will provide for nearly everyone, so you might as well make the tall one less accommodating to small people. If these people would follow my advice people would be less likely to carry their own water, and the fountain water wouldn't taste metallic.

Perfect for peeking down blouses

2. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

5) Why can't you all be like JetBlue and give me uninterrupted satellite during takeoff and landing. [​IMG]
    Skip to 2:00 mark
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

3. volatility smile

volatility smile Well-Known Member

Pepper mills: as the mill runs out of peppercorns, there aren't as many peppercorns above the grinder forcing the remaining peppercorns through the grinder, so you have to crank the mill more to get the same amount of pepper [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Petrolhead

Petrolhead Active Member

some of the UI in google chrome, and windows 7.

they both have everything hidden away, but hell, it's so confusing/impossible on windows 7 just to change the balance of the speakers, and even harder to configure the IP on a simple LAN...

5. JBG

JBG Well-Known Member

yeah, of course, but not everything is in spiral bound books.

If you really need to have a book spiral bound you can go to your local FedEx Office or similar and they can install a spiral binding. I've had to do this for music as well as test study guides (another set of books that suck if you cant get them to stay open and/or lay flat).

6. a-rock

a-rock Well-Known Member

Late model Toyota Highlanders have 19" wheels with low profile (non-) performance tires. Not only are 19's not as common in general, but the particular tire size is only made by Toyo and Bridgestone... and not surprisingly, both suck. Low ratings and no warranty. They routinely go bare around 15k miles and cost $200/tire.

It's mind-boggling that Toyota would put such rare and crappy tires on such a popular, mid-level SUV. Not to mention the fact that they use the same tires no matter where it's sold in the US. At least here in CA my only gripe is how quickly the tires go bare, unlike people in other parts of the country that deal with more rain and snow; the tires are flat out dangerous in their situation.

7. cncrd

cncrd Well-Known Member

Bathroom stalls that have giant gaps between the door and the wall so people can see you squatting even if they aren't particularly trying to. Also, floor gaps so that they can see your feet. I mean, WTF. WTF is your fucking problem, public bathroom designing assholes? Can't I have my privacy while I poop?

Certain nicer buildings have moved away from this model towards a more private alternative, but the vast majority are still utterly terrible.

Name some more that make you want to skullfuck some sense into the designer.

I have to reply to this, because I just had this dicussion with a client who asked the same thing. They're ostensibly that far off the floor for the same reason a lot of public restrooms use wall-hung toilets: so it's easier to clean under them and you don't get wads of crap collecting in the corners where the partitions meet the floor.

8. a-rock

a-rock Well-Known Member

I have to reply to this, because I just had this dicussion with a client who asked the same thing. They're ostensibly that far off the floor for the same reason a lot of public restrooms use wall-hung toilets: so it's easier to clean under them and you don't get wads of crap collecting in the corners where the partitions meet the floor.

Few other reasons:
    - so people can tell when a stall is occupied in case doors drift to a closed position naturally.
    - so people can't be doing funny business in stalls.

9. word

word Well-Known Member

Fax machines. IMpossible to remove shrink wrapping on DVDs, videogames and CDs. Plastic wrapping covering many electronic products that require a really sharp scissors or knife to rip open.

Do you not carry a small pocket knife? [​IMG]

10. a-rock

a-rock Well-Known Member

I would label shrink-wrap that doesn't come off unless cut as properly designed.

11. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Well-Known Member

+1 on sneakers, why do they all look so terrible. You're not designing a spaceship, you're making shoes for people to wear on their feet.

12. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

Late model Toyota Highlanders have 19" wheels with low profile (non-) performance tires. Not only are 19's not as common in general, but the particular tire size is only made by Toyo and Bridgestone... and not surprisingly, both suck. Low ratings and no warranty. They routinely go bare around 15k miles and cost $200/tire.

It's mind-boggling that Toyota would put such rare and crappy tires on such a popular, mid-level SUV. Not to mention the fact that they use the same tires no matter where it's sold in the US. At least here in CA my only gripe is how quickly the tires go bare, unlike people in other parts of the country that deal with more rain and snow; the tires are flat out dangerous in their situation.

there was an article in the WSJ a little while ago about companies like Ford using the same tires on a Focus that Ferrari uses on their cars. I think it explained some of this but I don't recall much from the article.

13. a-rock

a-rock Well-Known Member

there was an article in the WSJ a little while ago about companies like Ford using the same tires on a Focus that Ferrari uses on their cars. I think it explained some of this but I don't recall much from the article.

This might be the article you're referring to... it's the only reference to Ferrari and Ford Focus I could find on WSJ. The tires on a Camaro are the same as used on more exotic sports cars. Not super surprising.

John Breed recently gave into a mild midlife crisis and bought a Chevrolet Camaro that reminded him of the muscle cars he drove as a teenager in the 1970s. With an eye toward value, he chose a model with a six-cylinder engine instead of the snarling V8.

Then he got a flat and discovered, much to his alarm, that the tires on his $31,000 Chevy cost more than $500 each. The tires"”Pirelli P Zeros"”are the same kind found on $250,000 Ferraris. Mr. Breed, the 52-year-old head of communications for a Sugar Land, Texas, oil-drilling company, says he could have bought a full set of tires for his old Ford Focus compact for less than the price of a single Camaro tire.​

http://online.wsj.com/article/NA_WSJ...211146635.html