1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

If your wardrobe is too large, you end up looking worse.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by radicaldog, Oct 9, 2009.

1. james_timothy

james_timothy Well-Known Member

2. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Well-Known Member

I'm off to get some coffee & pastries..

Anyone?

3. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

yo I have only read one post in this thread and that's mafoofans post on the 2nd page.

this is a terrible analogy because in tournament regulated play there were limits on deck sizes.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

From one of Murdoch's gossip & propaganda rags, referenced in another thread:

The politically frustrated Anthony Eden expressed himself through dandyism when a younger parliamentarian, but Ã[​IMG]lan came back to haunt him. Cruelly Bertrand Russell concluded: "Not a gentleman; dresses too well."

I know that you know that Russell meant that ironically, which the writer of that Murdoch-owned piece would not know.

"...the concept of the gentleman was invented by the aristocrats to keep the middle classes in order." - Bertrand Russell

In other words, the pursuit of appearing as a gentleman is not very aristrocratic at all.

There are some pith helmet pics out and about that capture this notion in a more modern way.

BTW, the favorite source of quotations for those who wear pith helmets today?

Wodehouse. [​IMG]

- B

5. radicaldog

radicaldog Well-Known Member

I know that you know that Russell meant that ironically, which the writer of that Murdoch-owned piece would not know. "...the concept of the gentleman was invented by the aristocrats to keep the middle classes in order." - Bertrand Russell In other words, the pursuit of appearing as a gentleman is not very aristrocratic at all. There are some pith helmet pics out and about that capture this notion in a more modern way. BTW, the favorite source of quotations for those who wear pith helmets today? Wodehouse. [​IMG]
    Of course someone with Russell's politics could only have said that ironically; but that doesn't mean that he wasn't purposefully getting at something by pointing out that Eden failed to meet some standard, which is in some kind of supervenience (i.e. necessary covariation) relation with the ungentlemanly appearance. It's a figure of speech, as synecdoche of of sorts. Suppose I said: "I don't like Gordon Brown because he's no champion of the working man!". Well, I'm to the left of the parliamentary Labour party, but not in a way that makes me think that its main purpose is to conduct some kind of class warfare. Still, I may say that ironically to point out something fishy with Brown's pandering to City interests. Not the best example, I know, but still better than deciphering the Melian dialogue, so there you go. P.S. Notice that the point here is that we don't have to approve of the pursuit of a gentlemanly appearance, or of the appearance of a class war (per se). The point is that the lack of such appearances is symptomatic of something else that's wrong.

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

You guys could manage to turn a discussion regarding toothbrushes into another social class/gentleman thread. Not very stylish considerations....

7. radicaldog

You guys could manage to turn a discussion regarding toothbrushes into another social class/gentleman thread. Not very stylish considerations....
    With that I agree. But I'd like to think that life and the contemplation of life run on parallel lines, so they don't contaminate each other too much. I'm probably wrong, though. Also, in my last post I was trying to suggest that we can discuss the gentleman/class thing in order to talk about something else, as Russell arguably did. That's probably a better response to your worry.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

With that I agree. But I'd like to think that life and the contemplation of life run on parallel lines, so they don't contaminate each other too much. I'm probably wrong, though.

You live in the civilization of the commentary mate, fat chance.

9. radicaldog

10. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Staying on topic (sort of): I clicked on that link (alas). That's an ironic signature, right?

Hi, my name is Pamela and I stopped taking my meds.

11. radicaldog

Hi, my name is Pamela and I stopped taking my meds.

[​IMG]

(Sorry, as you can see I have a rather pessimistic outlook on life.)

12. voxsartoria

Of course someone with Russell's politics could only have said that ironically; but that doesn't mean that he wasn't purposefully getting at something by pointing out that Eden failed to meet some standard, which is in some kind of supervenience (i.e. necessary covariation) relation with the ungentlemanly appearance. It's a figure of speech, as synecdoche of of sorts. Suppose I said: "I don't like Gordon Brown because he's no champion of the working man!". Well, I'm to the left of the parliamentary Labour party, but not in a way that makes me think that its main purpose is to conduct some kind of class warfare. Still, I may say that ironically to point out something fishy with Brown's pandering to City interests. Not the best example, I know, but still better than deciphering the Melian dialogue, so there you go.

P.S. Notice that the point here is that we don't have to approve of the pursuit of a gentlemanly appearance, or of the appearance of a class war (per se). The point is that the lack of such appearances is symptomatic of something else that's wrong.

Don't disappoint me. Russell was making fun of the interviewer in the manner oft used by the most intelligent.

I myself am not intelligent so I cannot use his techniques.

- B

13. radicaldog

Don't disappoint me. Russell was making fun of the interviewer in the manner oft used by the most intelligent.

Maybe. But nothing tells us that he wasn't doing that and what I suggested he was doing. Russell certainly was intelligent enough to multitask, after all.

I myself am not intelligent so I cannot use his techniques.

Come on, that's a bit of a low blow (and that's why I couldn't resist the above -- sorry).

14. voxsartoria

Maybe. But nothing tells us that he wasn't doing that and what I suggested he was doing. Russell certainly was intelligent enough to multitask, after all.

Come on, that's a bit of a low blow (and that's why I couldn't resist the above -- sorry).

The low blow is very aristocratic and wonderful.

A quick, poppy way to see the American version look at this...you might enjoy it:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Well, here's the thing, let's be practical: if someone follows your philosophy, they are likely to look pretty good and be comfortable doing so.

How's that?

Oh, if you've never seen that flick, I think that you would enjoy it.

- B

15. radicaldog

The low blow is very aristocratic and wonderful. Well, here's the thing, let's be practical: if someone follows your philosophy, they are likely to look pretty good and be comfortable doing so. How's that?
    Deal, on both accounts.
    Oh, if you've never seen that flick, I think that you would enjoy it.
    I've seen it, and I have it on DVD. 'Doomed. Bourgeois. In love', says the cover of my Region 2 edition. I'll tell you more: before I clicked the Youtube link I had a feeling that it would be Metropolitan. P.S. Let's say that I'm content with being some sort of European Tom Townsend.

16. voxsartoria

Deal, on both accounts.

I've seen it, and I have it on DVD. 'Doomed. Bourgeois. In love', says the cover of my Region 2 edition. I'll tell you more: before I clicked the Youtube link I had a feeling that it would be Metropolitan.

"That would be self-hatred. Which is unhealthy."

- B

17. bigbris1

bigbris1 Well-Known Member

If this works for you ... fine. Personally, I'm not willing to live by such limits.

I have your back on this...we're outnumbered (ironic, isn't it?) but we'll go down fighting.

- B

No reason for a fight. I love the thrill of the hunt & buying new things all to much which is why I have set a personal limit. Even though I do not exceed (for an extended period of time) those limits, I'm constantly buying stuff. Trust, I wish I had the space to keep it all.

Sometimes I get OCD and wear the same suit over and over again, only changing the shirt, tie, square and shoes.

I'm off to get some coffee & pastries..

Anyone?

I'll have the almond biscotti and black coffee, please. [​IMG]

18. voxsartoria

P.S. Let's say that I'm content with being some sort of European Tom Townsend.

Good. When this came out, I was instantly doomed by friends to Nick Smith.

And please: Tommy.

- B

19. voxsartoria

No reason for a fight. I love the thrill of the hunt & buying new things all to much which is why I have set a personal limit. Even though I do not exceed (for an extended period of time) those limits, I'm constantly buying stuff. Trust, I wish I had the space to keep it all.

I like your system, which is geared (get it?) to improvement.

I've been doing something similar, but not as disciplined. I probably have about half the clothes that I had five years ago. Each new bespoke thing involved donating two or three old RTW/MTM things.

- B

20. bigbris1

bigbris1 Well-Known Member

Once I lose some of my, uhm, momentum, I would like to embark on bespoke and do the same. Either that or buy all of the Paul Stuart Charles cuts as those are the closest thing to bespoken I have bought to date.

I like your system, which is geared (get it?) to improvement.

I've been doing something similar, but not as disciplined. I probably have about half the clothes that I had five years ago. Each new bespoke thing involved donating two or three old RTW/MTM things.

- B