1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

If you had unlimited resources

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TheRookie, Dec 6, 2004.

1. TheRookie

TheRookie Well-Known Member

I usually end up going by that dealership when we're in Atlanta. They had the Vanquish new at one point and I think they sold it and ended up getting it back used for resell. Last time I was there they had an Enzo in the showroom. Only $1M short of driving that baby out of there.

2. Smooth Jazz

Smooth Jazz Well-Known Member

Suits: Still experimenting; have not found someone I like yet

Shirts: Kabbaz; love his shirts; would love to at least try one of the handmade Italian shirtmakers referenced here

Shoes: Cleverley, Lobb St. James, EG, Lattanzi

Ties: Bespoke: Marinella, T&A RTW: Robert Talbot

3. gorgekko

gorgekko Well-Known Member

Unlimited resources? An island in the south Pacific.

Clothes:

Suits: Attolini or Brioni
    Shirts: Alexander Kabbaz
    Shoes: Edward Green or Lattanzi

The closest any of these fit into my budget are Kabbaz shirts and I'm far from being able to buy just one, let alone the minimum of six :)

4. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

shirts=Borrelli MTM suits=Borrelli RTW Shoes=Kiton bespoke. [​IMG]

5. Dutch Master

Dutch Master Active Member

Great thread. From a manufacturer's perspective it is interesting to see the names mentioned. In our circles Attolini is considered the pinnacle of artisan clothing. I had the incredible honor of visiting the factory in Naples and meet the legend himself.......Cesare Attolini and his son Massimiliano. Due to the fact that they dressed Dutch soccer star Ruud Krol when he played for Napoli my experience was truly unforgettable. What did the artists in the shop wear?.........doctor's coats.
    For shirts I would say Marol out of Bologna, they do fabulous intracate work on collars and cuffs. Based on the response in this thread, I can't wait to meet Alexander on my next sourcing trip to New York.
    For shoes I found Andrea Ventura in Prato, just outside of Florence. He is on the Latanzi level and will create any design feature I create with ease.....he is a pleasure to work with. His shoes are not available in the States

6. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

I'm learning to love clothes as much as some of the more obsessive types around here; however, I hope I never get to the point where I'd want to be wearing suits and shirts and shoes (or anything else) on my own private island. Since I'd park my closet in Italy: Suits:  Attolini Shirts:  Friendly local Napolitano Shoes:  Lattanzi (brown, no matter the color of the suit) I take it back:  I might keep a couple of Bespoke suits and shoes around purely as works of art  [​IMG] Tom

7. brescd01

brescd01 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, if I had unlimited resources I would pay off my school loans, get the Bentley coupe (or the Maserati coupe or Aston Martin DB9), and for clothing:

1) shirts: this is tough. You all are obsessed with makers you have never worn, I am much more into the material. For example, this is why I love Barba, their use of luxurious fabrics. The fanciest in my beloved Philadelphia is probably Marol MTM, or Barton and Donaldson (local bespoke). Okay, maybe I would get a set of fifteen heavyweight cottons from Barton, and have Buggelli copy the measurements and send me 15 of his best jacquards (everyone has recommended him, he is in Florence). That cheap shirtmaker Harris, believe it or not, did make nice shirts. But she is a pain in the ass, and her materials sucked (as well as her buttons).

2) suits/jackets: unlimited resources, right? First of all, this is something I have realized by building my wardrobe over the past six months, I do not really like suits, I prefer sport jackets. So I would get 9 sport jackets made by my beloved Centofanti, in the most wonderful materials I could find (I allready have 1 suit, 1 jacket, and 1 on the way). And the pants would be assorted. For example, I am having Centofanti make me very heavy moleskin trousers, and I have two very heavyweight corduroy trousers being delivered from Bruar in Scotland. I would have Centofanti make me some beautiful flannel pants too. I would need 7, if the Bruar corduroys work out.

3) I know my taste in shoes is not exactly the same as others here. I guess with unlimited resources I would buy some Lobbs in NYC at their store. I would need only 2, since I already have a nice pair of Grensons, 1 Martigani and 1 on the way, 1 CJ, and 1 Albaladejo.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know what you mean, every time I drive by Palm Beach Motorcars they have a Vanquish up on the circular pedestal, right by the window, drool...

Jon.

9. Mike C.

Mike C. Well-Known Member

If I had unlimited funds, and didn't have to work, I'd go for some casual suits like Jil Sander, and Dior Homme; some overcoats from Cloak as well.

I'm not as interested in wearing suits, as I am pairing a sportcoat with a nice pair of pants. For that, I'd do the same as Foxx and go crazy at Bergdorf. That store is really miles ahead of anyone else (including Barney's). I'd also be liberal with color, in the style of Chuck's Italian trip pictures.

As for shoes, Berluti (Club, Olga II, and Tatuoge), Lobb (Double Monks), and a second pair of the RL Marlow Cordovan shoes I already own.

10. naturlaut

naturlaut Well-Known Member

Damn, you all beat me to it. I have nothing interesting to add, except maybe I will see all of you during my fittings [​IMG] Suit: Bespoke Attolini or Kiton Shirt: Bespoke Matuozzo or Kabbaz Shoes: Bespoke Berluti or Corthay Of course, I would also need a bespoke closet to house all these, and for that I will opt for Stefano Ricci. Lastly: Piano: custom Fazioli or Bosendorfer

11. jekv12

jekv12 Well-Known Member

I like the approach of EastDevil (buy local), and Dr. Bresch has fleshed this out a bit (at least with suits and some of his shirts), and I would work with local artisans as much as possible. With "unlimited resources" I would have to find artisans for several locations:

- villa on the Amalfi Coast: only a short ride from Napoli, I'd have to visit Kiton, Attolini, et al before making my selection.

- apartment in Rome: Brioni, D'Avenza, Battistioni, and I really like Dario Dodoni for shoes (if I wanted bespoke I guess Gatto)

- there would most likely be another place in Italy...

- Cars: well...alfa, ferrari, maserati, lamorghini...

- London flat: Steed in Savile Row for suits, and I'd have fun with all the English shoe makers. Doesn't seem like there's a high regard for English shirts here on the board, though - at least there's a lot of variation. Cars: Jag (xk120), Aston Martin, Bentley, and a Smart Car.

- Paris apartment: I guess I'd ask for help here for all categories, because I'd be too busy with food, wine, and art. Need help on the cars too...

- Philadelphia: well, since Dr. Bresch has done the research....

- West Coast: nothing fancy needed, just casual clothes, maybe a tweed jacket or two, because I'd be at "my" winery.

12. EastDevil

EastDevil Member

Well, I live in a country that does not have Kiton, Borrelli, Attolini or any of those often mentioned bespoke tailors. They most exclusive MTM we have here are Zegna and some RTW RLPL shirts and pants and no RLPL suits (the salesperson said the price point of RLPL suits are not right for the market... obviously, their management have no idea how rich people around here are really).

There are also not much world-famous tailors here. So I guess a local tailor is good enough.