1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

If you had to start over tomorrow

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by A Harris, Apr 23, 2008.

1. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

If you had to start over tomorrow, building a casual wardrobe completely from scratch, what would your foundation purchases be? Be as specific as possible - brands, models, fabrics etc., and preferably stuff that is currently available at retail. Link pics if you can.

2. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Well-Known Member

i'd like a suitcase worth of casual clothes with bullet holes in them.

3. erbs

erbs Well-Known Member

4. Halifamous

Halifamous Well-Known Member

I'd trade out a lot of the tighter more dior'ey stuff for Rick Owens or Raf.

I'd keep the Jil/Raf/RGeller stuff though.
    And I'd keep my supercasuals, the jeans sneakers and tees.

There's no links or anything needed as the basic point I want to make is that I'd get rid of the stuff that just didn't work on my body type (tight tight tight) but that I refused to stay away from because I loved it, and I'd replace it with similarly priced items that work far better for me.

5. A Harris

This went right over my head, dare I ask for an explanation?

6. A Harris

Nice presentation PinkPantser, that is the sort of response I was hoping to see. It gives a nice visual of your personal style.

7. Fade to Black

nah doesn't really mean anything just saying i would like some clothes that look like they've been through a lot, don't really like the idea of 'starting fresh' because i believe at any given point our clothes even if new should be old at the same time.

8. A Harris

9. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I'd be fucked.

I wouldn't change a thing Andrew.

10. Clench Million

Clench Million Well-Known Member

A pair of APC New Standards

11. somatoform

somatoform Well-Known Member

Nice stuff, Pink. You just gave me some ideas, the boots and chambray, in particular.

If I could start over, I would buy the same stuff sized down 2.

12. jkennett

jkennett Well-Known Member

east coast to west and back to east. currently res
    perfect response I also hate the idea of rebuilding my wardrobe. I like the fact that everything I have was purchased at a different point in my life, and reflects those different times and places. I like clothing to have a story. If you're looking to add casual items to your store, I would suggest Band of Outsiders and Rogues Gallery stuff. That's what I've been looking at purchasing next. edit: My fault... Should have known better about the store. I had actually made a list and deleted it earlier so I'll try to replicate it from memory. It's basically my current style with all the quality elevated a few notches. wwII deadstock paratrooper boots samurai and/or kmw denim fred perry polos in a ton of colorways (of course Get Smart chose that, and I admit I envy his current Fred Perry collection) BoO shirts Alden longwings Rogues Gallery by Quoddy green hightop deck shoes a nice casual watch (maybe Panerai?) some good bespoke suits

13. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

It's all about shoes and jeans for me, things you can wear over and over and never get "old". For some reason I feel everything else is disposable or has limited utility.

Jeans:
    Flat Head 3001 or Iron Heart 634S
    possibly Oni Blue

Shoes:
    Florsheim Kenmoor Shell longwing
    Tricker's Stow boot
    RM Williams Comfort Craftsman
    Alden 911

14. A Harris

If you're looking to add casual items to your store, I would suggest Band of Outsiders and Rogues Gallery stuff. That's what I've been looking at purchasing next.

To be clear, this isn't research. I thought it would be a good way to get a snapshot of the respondents personal style, circa April 08. Also it could be good for ideas.

15. stickonatree

stickonatree Well-Known Member

pink pantser, great choices, i can definitely see those fitting into your style, judging from the waywt pics.

16. Fade to Black

ok a slightly more serious answer to this question:

at this point (end of April 2008) I'm interested in the idea of stripped down. I don't mean naked...but I like the idea Patrizio Bertelli proposes, "the ultimate luxury is to own nothing." I engage in consumerism, but not to the extent I see a lot of other people do...nowadays when I shop it's more out of function than anything else...i can't stand the idea of updating one's look every season and getting into the new guard of designers, since most of it i find quite uninspiring. I take a stroll down shopping areas and am bored to death by pretty much all of what I see. Starting fresh the whole wardrobe would be plain black and white t-shirts, comfortable and loose cotton pants in black and beige, and white sneakers. No baggage, no fuss, just a uniform of quality to move about life without having to think about clothes.

Not saying I would actually do this, but the idea is quite liberating, non?

17. A Harris

Not saying I would actually do this, but the idea is quite liberating, non?

Yes, I'd say so. It is part of the reason I think about this subject on occasion.

18. thepataphysician

thepataphysician Well-Known Member

pink pantster - that hickey donegal suit is on sale for less than $500 right now. a perfect time to move from fantasy to reality.

19. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

I don't wear that much casual, so my casual wardrobe is shot. I have learned a lot here that would help if I restarted. Rather than fantasise I've tried to be realistic about what I could afford. I haven't got brands in mind for lot of these.

Shoes
    RM Williams chestnut ankle boots
    Some light brown wingtips, maybe AE
    Timberland walking boots (the ones I have)
    Sutor Mantelassi black suede bluchers
    Santoni FAM loafers, mid-brown

Belts
    Don't have many, but I would like two suede belts, black and brown and a webbing belt.

Pants
    Cotton pants (for ease of washing): Zanella, Incotex, RLPL, Borrelli, Brioni, Zegna. Solid colours: navy, beige, camel, dk. brown

Shirts:
    This is my weakest area - totally unplanned and all over the shop. Can't be too specific but I would need:
    Linen shirts - white and navy
    Oxford Button-downs - solids - pale blue, pink, butter yellow
    Fancier stripe shirts - I like the look of some of the Jhane Barnes that I've seen. Rather than get a lot, plan them around the pants and coats

Long-sleeve Ts
    I could be wearing these 6-9 months of the year here, and I only own 2. I'd get at least 3-4 of these, patterned but in a muted way.

Sweaters/tops
    V-neck or preferably zip collar. Plain colours or muted patterns, navy, chocolate and grey

Scarves
    A couple of lighter-weight scarves, silk/wool. Heavy wool doesn't get enough use here

Socks
    Overdafut. Bright colours and patterns
    Rivers (local brand) for robust plain-coloured socks

Coats
    Black leather jacket, conservative in style
    Navy knee-length topcoat
    Classic navy jacket from Italian designer like Barbera, Isaia, Canali or Caruso
    Plaid sport coat from similar designers (v. happy with the Barbera I have)

Crumpler messenger bag