1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

You need both. That is, to be considered well dressed you need both. Gray for funerals, job interviews and formal day events. Blue for evenings and weddings.

Plus, you need two staple suits so that you are not always wearing the same one. And you can accessorize them quite differently.

1 person likes this.
  2. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Can you rant about black Gucci loafers now?
    How about camp bluchers (like the old LLBeans)? shell tassel loafers? There's a chain in the harbor. Are you going to sell it out?

3. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i see.

and a good clarification of the thread title/concept

:laugh:

:eek:

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to suggest having only one suit as the alternative, but rather a bunch of navy suits as opposed to a mix of navy and gray. I can see gray being more appropriate for the occasions you mention, job interview excepted, but I don't think sufficiently better than navy that a navy-suited man could not be considered well-dressed.

5. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

The only reason not to get both is if you don't need them, in which case ipso facto you don't care about being well dressed, or you can't afford it, in which case I sympathize but you are not well dressed.

6. unbelragazzo

Given this, I assume you mean a gray worsted suit, not a flannel?

7. Beaunehead

Beaunehead New Member

A well dressed bald guy should have a Homburg and a flat tweed cap.

8. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Yes, did I not specify that?

9. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

You forgot "Office pants."

I think your list is also somewhat slanted toward people who live in the NE. For example, in some parts of the south, a tweed jacket is a tough sell. I propose a tweed exemption for people living below the Mason Dixon line. In exchange, these people should be required to purchase a bow tie instead.

10. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Well I am from California and my list would be no different out there.

Tweed is useful in the SF damp and also in the desert at night, when it can get very cold. I could live without one in LA proper but out in eastern LA county, where I lived for a while, it got quite cold at night. Hell, I've even worn Shetland in Santa Cruz.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

The logic here is simple. Nobody can be well dressed in the south! :teach: :)

2 people like this.
  12. unbelragazzo

Nope, this was your item:

-a mid to dark gray single-breasted suit

13. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Nope. It was implicit, though, but you had to get to the advanced section to be sure. So when you update the OP, don't forget to add your cal shirt and wine-stained chinos to make sure all occasions are covered.

14. unbelragazzo

Please no.

15. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Hey - what about formal wear? Isn't that a must for your well-dressed man criteria?
    I would just add "A complete, well-fitting, conventional black tie rig, including shoes" No need to be too prescriptive.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  16. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

Don't we all wish.

17. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Well, two minds on this one. Yes, I suppose that any fair definition of well dressed shoud include that. However, there are a lot of guys who could use every single thing on my list but who never, ever have call to wear black tie. So I don't know ...

18. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

Moral of the story - I should really have concentrated on the basics first. When you first get into this, even playing around with bespoke, it's so tempting to do some of the crazy things you always wanted to do while ignoring the "boring" things you probably should have sewn up first.

Damn you Manton, for this new shopping list.

19. unbelragazzo

I would put myself in this group. I'm 30, have never had a black tie event, and may well never. If I really stretched it I could go to opening nights at the opera and fancy New Year's Eve parties and maybe be able to wear black tie once or twice a year, but even then I'd likely be in a small minority at these events. Hence my search for more dressed down versions of classic evening wear.

20. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I have heard that, but don't believe it. Everyone gets invited to a black-tie wedding at some point.
    It makes perfect sense for someone to save the money and not buy black-tie and make do without or rent the one time you need it. But the list should have it. Whether to or how to follow the list is an individual choice, but the list should be complete. Or add "if necessary"