1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Aug 1, 2012.

1. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

In the third paragraph, you should have said "tie" earlier than the second-to-last word. That is all.

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

I thought he was talking about sweaters... :confused:

3. Patrologia

Patrologia Well-Known Member

I recognized immediately that he was talking about ties. As my prize, SG should now send me his unused blue and brown knits. :D

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

They are purple label RL.

It's monday morning! :embar:

5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'm starting to come to the opposite conclusion re: navy blazers / odd jackets and thinking that two is not enough (though for essentials purposes it surely is). I can see where you're coming from with preferring patterns but wonder if you find you need more odd jackets to carry the same load since the patterned coats may work with less combinations / be more memorable.

6. SkinnyGoomba

I'm sure the navy jacket calls much less attention to the point where you could wear it often without looking like you need a change. However with many sportcoats the navy odd jacket becomes much less of a necessity.

I wear the seasonal varieties of navy odd jackets more than I wear the worsted. However even they are becoming rare. What do you wear them with outside of grey or tan pants and oxford shirts? Looks like a uniform.

7. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Jeans, colored chinos, chino shorts, none button down patterned shirts, solid blue shirts, t shirts, turtlenecks, etc.

8. SkinnyGoomba

Yeah....no.

Colored chinos and shorts with navy odd jackets make me feel like I was lost on my way to school, all of the other options look better with an odd patterned jacket in my opinion with exception to a few circumstances.

This is why, if anything I'll reach for a steel blue linen in the summer or a navy flannel in the winter if I need to accommodate any of those options. It looks much less like I'm reliving my youth. Navy flannel is in the camp of navy odd jackets, but helps to at least look like something a security guard would not wear to the job.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  9. archibaldleach

That's the thing. Most of my trousers are various shades of grey (some tan, cream, and white depending on season), so even if its a bit uniformish, the navy odd jackets work pretty well with nearly everything. I have a light navy linen jacket with smoked MOP buttons, a DB mid-weight worsted with silver buttons and will probably get a flannel one with some other type of metal button this winter.

I do agree that the navy blazer becomes less essential (even though I like mine) as one acquires more odd jackets.

10. SkinnyGoomba

The light linen one is always great, especially with MOP buttons.

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

I will also preach the virtues of linen/linen blend jackets. One of the few ways to wear a jacket at all in Florida...

12. Anthony Jordan

Anthony Jordan Well-Known Member

[Replying to Oli2012, who was querying the inclusion of a loafer in the list] I thought much the same but then again an Oxford brogue in tan or brown suede is about as casual as I get.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  13. SkinnyGoomba

i always end up still wearing jackets when traveling to places like FL. I just feel ridiculous wearing a tie without a coat.

14. archibaldleach

+1.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Agreed. Like a cellphone salesman. I always wear a jacket, I don't care how hot it is.

16. Balfour

Balfour Well-Known Member

^ It's unseasonably hot in London (low 80s, so a mild NYC summer day, I know).

Days like this make me wish I followed the habits of some of my colleagues (2 suits kept in the office; commute in shirtsleeves and cotton trousers). It really makes me question the value of caring!

17. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Man, I'd love it to be in the low 80s.

Don't all you English folks have butlers to drive you around anyways?

18. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Well-Known Member

A Q on this. I just acquired some beautiful non-chino khaki fabric from Cacciopoli Napoli. I know the prevailing rule is that khakis get no pleats and no cuffs. However, I imagine this rule pertains to the chinos, right? I am thinking of getting single forward pleats with cuffs - is that an abomination on dressier khakis as well?

19. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

You're really fine. The no pleats or cuffs on khakis bit is an example of preference stated definitely. While not the current trend, you won't raise any eyebrows.

20. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

I like pleats on linen and linen blends. On pure cotton not so much. I pretty much always get cuffs.