• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Re: loafers: I bought my pair because they made me feel like an Italian playboy. Then I remembered I'm not an Italian playboy. Never wear 'em. Though the Trad in me thinks I ought to own some Weejuns.

Chelseas are the ultimate one shoe. From denim and khakis to black tie. If I didn't like chukkas and bucks so much, I might wear nothing else.
What sort of loafers were these? I mean, I've held pepper grinders that made me feel like Porfirio Rubirosa, but that doesn't make me edmorel.

I like Chelseas although I don't own any. Always worried about the elastic gores giving out. Am assuming you mean Chelsea boots a la Steed rather than the EG Chelsea oxford.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

-a blue odd jacket. If you live in a two-season climate, then two, one for warmth and one for the cold check
-mid gray flannel pants Nope, was going to buy some this year, but it never was cold enough to justify purchasing them.
-decent, non-chino khakis check
-at least one funky (but tasteful!) non-blue tweed jacket nope
-a mid to dark gray worsted single-breasted suit check
-a navy worsted single breasted suit check
-a white FC shirt check
-several blue BC shirts, at least one BD check
-black stitch caps check
-some tasteful brown oxfords (exact configuration up to you) check
-loafers in medium brown calf, suede or shell or else burg shell check
-a solid black tie, knit or grenadine nope
-a solid navy tie, knit or grenadine nope
-a plain white linen hanky Yeah, don't, wear it
For the "more advanced" players:
-at least one DB suit, navy worsted or medium gray flannel (the best dressers will have both)
-at least one linen suit Nope, I have a cotton jacket and a ton of cotton and linen trousers. Colors: Nantucket Red, Marblehead green, Lavender, and another shade of green. How New England of me.
-at least one pair of brown suede shoes Check
-at least one formal tie, e.g., a B&W shepherd's check Check
-at least one wool or cashmere tie nope
-at least one linen or linen blend tie nope
If necessary
-A complete, well-fitting, correct black tie rig, including shoes check
-An overcoat in navy, charcoal or camel check

I haven't purchased a tie in 3 or 4 years. I've been wanting to get some knits and classic rep stripes, but I find tie shopping tedious. All of my ties are really boring conservative business dress, except my wedding ties. I've also been looking for a country coat for awhile about 4 years now and just never found one I loved. All of my clothes are RTW and fill all of the basics. I'm not going to buy anymore unless I go bespoke. First move is to get a tone of shirts made. I'll probably get a DB flannel grey suit just like Foo's for my next suit. Not buying anymore suits or jackets until I go bespoke. I only own 2 things off the list. My navy pinstripe suit which I bought just out of college and a black and white glen plaid suit. I wore a uniform from 1st grade until I graduated college. I suppose I've taken that approach to my business wardrobe.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oh my, yes.
y54i4.jpg

fwocking mother of god. this is not a chukka. big ol fred had austrian roots. live to it... please.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RJ, glad to have you back after your self-exile to the shadow forum.
However, you are so wrong.
If you take Manton's list literally, yes it is useless and asinine.

Yes it is, unless one has some kind of office job in a large metropolotian city, like New York, Washington DC or London. What Manton has suggested is completely irrelevant here for my position and location, and is not easily available to me aniway.

BTW this threak is mentioned in AAAC as well.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yes it is, unless one has some kind of office job in a large metropolotian city, like New York, Washington DC or London. What Manton has suggested is completely irrelevant here for my position and location, and is not easily available to me aniway.
BTW this threak is mentioned in AAAC as well.

When I was a lawyer, I worked in a business casual office. Yet, I made use of most of these items regularly. It has less to do with where you work, and more to do with how you choose to dress the rest of the time. If not, you might be thinking about things wrong on a more fundamental level.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Re: loafers: I bought my pair because they made me feel like an Italian playboy. Then I remembered I'm not an Italian playboy. Never wear 'em. Though the Trad in me thinks I ought to own some Weejuns.
Chelseas are the ultimate one shoe. From denim and khakis to black tie. If I didn't like chukkas and bucks so much, I might wear nothing else.

I really tried to make Chelsea's work for me for a couple of years, but I struggled to wear them with anything other than jeans. It may have been that I had the wrong boots - I found that some felt too dainty, and made me feel like i looked like i were wearing socks. Others were too loose at the ankle and continually caught my trouser cuff. Perhaps i'll find the right pair one day.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Funny, in bad weather I have no problem wearing bal boots, but something about chelseas, I just can't see myself in them

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Funny, in bad weather I have no problem wearing bal boots, but something about chelseas, I just can't see myself in them

what is your bad weather, "go to" shoe material?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads