1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

If I knew when I was 20 what I know now....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Flambeur, Sep 16, 2010.

1. bullrams

bullrams Well-Known Member

1. Should have had my head out of my ass, a.k.a, career-focussed
    2. Taken active control of my life
    3. Learnt Game

2. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  3. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to think I'm investing too much time in my uni work. It has its rewards but where the fuck has my life gone?

4. Anthony K

Anthony K Well-Known Member

These two and my third. Be yourself don't follow other people's leads.

5. bullrams

Makes sense a lot. But isn't this just a better way of saying, "keep compromising"?

6. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

nope. it just means that life changes in ways you don't expect it to. keep your eyes on what you once thought was the prize and you might miss some opportunities that will wind up being a lot more rewarding. and sometimes that does involve compromise. when you don't get what you're going for, i've found it's a lot better to try to make the best of the situation you find yourself in than to sit around and curse fate.

7. bullrams

And the best shall it be :cheers:

8. Vastrm Darren

Vastrm Darren Active Member

I think there's a balance that is needed. A person with a 3.75 may not necessarily hit the ground running faster than the guy who has a 3.0 with a ton of experience. My advisor used to say that enthusiasm is one of the most important assets in the business world. I say keep working hard, keep getting good grades. But every now and then it's okay to half ass a homework assignment if it means taking out a pretty girl to dinner, doing more for your internship, etc. The GPA, although important, is not everything.

9. Tiziani

Tiziani Member

1. Perfectionism is not a virtue. Just steamroller your way from square 1 and you'll probably end up at a place that was even better than you first thought out.

2. Forgiveness is easier to win than permission.

3. Minor note to self - She's crazy and insecure. End it now.

10. amathew

amathew Well-Known Member

1. Study less
    2. Get game
    3. Sleep with lots of bitches

I'm only 27, but that's my advice as someone who spent their late teen and early 20s studyint really hard and not having any fun.
    Studying hard is great, just have balance in your life.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  11. I am DIL

I am DIL Well-Known Member

I'm 20. You're all wrong.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  12. foodguy

BOMP
    thought this was a really cool piece by kareem abdul jabbar. Well, probably not BY him ... i've talked to him a couple of times and this does not sound like him at all. But I'm sure he approved the text and I approve the messages.

13. rellison

rellison Well-Known Member

1. Don't be a math major! You suck at it and employers don't value it because it's too academic and esoteric for them. Suffering grades will fuck you more than if you were an English major with a 4.0.

2. Get your major depression treated while in college. Stop feeling shame, embarrassment, and worthlessness.
    3. Realize that "you can do anything you want if you put your mind to it" is utter bullshit. There are some things you just can't do, and stop trying and move on to something else when you find out what that is (in your case, stop trying to be an actuary).

14. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

Don't go after just money. Do what you love and are good at and the money and personal satisfaction will come.

15. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

Stay single as long as you can.

16. amathew

amathew Well-Known Member

LOL, While I don't suck at it, I've been learning ^^^ over the past two months. Business people really don't value math or statistics at all. Of course, they all claim that "we make data driven decisions" but it's all bs. I remember a presentation I made on using a naive bayesian classifiers for 'grading' items we purchase and sell in a first-price sealed bid auction system and the ceo, cto, and coo all had that 'glazed over' look in their eyes and ended up claiming that nb's was so complicated that we couldn't implement it. Yeah, because conditional probabilities are so difficult to understand [​IMG] I also get sick of trying to explain basic stuff to our business development and product management people, and constantly having to dumb things down for the business team (got a lengthy lecture about this from our director of business operations on friday)

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  17. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

I think there needs to be an important caveat here "If there's any kind of market for what you love to do.' Or: "Find ways to apply what you love to a real marketable skill." Way too many kids have been hearing this their whole life and they think that explicitly pursuing whatever hobby or interest gets their juices flowing as a kid will lead to a decent life. A lot of times it won't. But if you examine why you like those things, you can find something satisfying to do and make enough money doing it.

18. mkarim

mkarim Well-Known Member

Well said.

19. foodguy

amen. in my particular field, these days following your "passion" seems inevitably to lead to unpaid blogging or a minimum wage gig peeling carrots.

20. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

Fat girls need love too.