1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Idiots in job interviews

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Eason, Jun 9, 2012.

1. dtmt

dtmt Well-Known Member

Where are you guys interviewing that they actually give you their contact info? After deciding to leave my current position, I ended up with several offers without once sending a thank you note. Even if I had wanted to, out of the several dozen people I met maybe 2 gave me their business cards. What am I supposed to do, stalk them?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  2. NoNothingGuy

NoNothingGuy Well-Known Member

Task at hand? Or hand at task...?

:smarmy:

3. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

For my current job I contacted the facilitator of the interview and asked him to forward the interview panel my thanks.

4. Bearin

Bearin Member

5. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

6. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Well-Known Member

i find that strange.

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

It's not. I usually get people's business cards when I interview. They usually hand it to me. Also, if you're getting an interview there's usually some email correspondence beforehand to schedule times. I respond to that email sending my thanks.

8. dtmt

dtmt Well-Known Member

I've also interviewed about 30 or so people at my current company. If any of them ever asked the recruiter to thank us, the recruiters never bothered telling us.

9. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

Back to the original topic....

I was sitting-in while my old boss was interviewing a candidate. The candidate stated on his resume that he was fluent in German. When asked about it, he reaffirmed. What the idiot didn't realize was that he was talking to a native Austrian (who the fuck can't pick up that accent?) and that we did most of our business with German and Austrian companies. My boss handed him a random memo from his desk and said "Ok, translate this." He failed massively.

Don't overstate your abilities.

10. crispeta

crispeta Well-Known Member

From my experience, this (overstating language ability) is very common in the US. As I speak several languages, I always found it quite interesting to change the language during an interview when someone listed "fluently" or "proficient" or "business" - and was unable to converse the least bit.

11. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

Oh yeah - and don't let out confidential information about your former employer...especially if you are interviewing with a competitor. I can't believe that people can be so stupid.

yes, I can

12. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

+1 to this. And I had business interviews mostly, banking, corporate finance and consulting. A few startups as well

13. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Not recruiter. The admin staff who scheduled the interview.

14. yerfdog

yerfdog Well-Known Member

LOL

15. yjeezle

yjeezle Well-Known Member

so... i think the question everyone wants to know is.... what car do you drive?