1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for good financial terms glossary / definitions?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by AR_Six, Jun 1, 2011.

1. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

I've been asking everyone this, as I'm just trying to add to my current list. I have a securities term that I need a definition for from every possible publication or source that might carry some weight for a call in about 2.5 hours. Aside from legal dictionaries, published glossaries of accounting terms, the OED, various positions of taxing authorities in Canada, I am at a loss as to where else to look. Many legal and financial professionals on SF may be able to suggest somewhere else to look? Is there some authoritative source for Ibankers to look up terms?

2. kasper007

kasper007 Well-Known Member

3. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

Yeah but that's kind of like referencing wikipedia. I'm looking for sources that have some credibility / weight behind them.

4. meph

meph Active Member

What's the term? Sounds like you might want to be looking at the actual SEC legislative wording, as a lot of the time you'll be able to find [x is defined as a transaction entailing y and z], or something to that effect.

5. asdf

asdf Well-Known Member

CFA publications
    journals
    exchanges
    securities commissions

6. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Well-Known Member

back of any CFA curriculum textbook is a glossary.
    reading free papers: wsj, reuters, bloomberg will give you context

later move on to research notes.

7. forStyle

forStyle Well-Known Member

Google Scholar maybe?