1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ice Hockey

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Stazy, Oct 22, 2006.

1. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

What's the difference between the Toronto Maple Leafs and a triangle?

A triangle has three points.

2. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

3. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

Hey, the Wild only have four. Five straight road losses, outscored 20-10, and both wins are come-from-behind/overtime wins. I think the new system will take a little time to get ironed out.

Meanwhile, Gaborik is healthy as a fucking ox....

4. KenN

KenN Well-Known Member

What's the difference between the Toronto Maple Leafs and a triangle?

That makes me want to cry. ~ 58 million dollars worth of hockey contracts and we can't even beat a 2D geometric shape.

5. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

Well at least MLSE was able to prevent Balsillie from moving a team to Hamilton. Consequently you have exactly 1 more point than Hamilton does. So feel free to celebrate: you're very narrowly beating a team that doesn't exist.

6. Vashin

Vashin Well-Known Member

you're all haters =(

7. Teacher

No, we're mourners.

8. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

9. KenN

KenN Well-Known Member

There were some brutal hits this week. Tucker, Booth etc... I don't like seeing stretchers on the ice.

10. Teacher

I don't either, but these guys just have to keep their heads up.

And the Wild finally won!!!! Weeeeeehaaaawwwww!

11. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

heads up? man , the post of the hit above was a total blindside. No way he could have avoided that.

12. Teacher

It wasn't from the side, it was from an angle. He most certainly could have seen it coming, but the last couple of paces he had his head down. Can't do that in hockey at any level.

13. Teacher

For the love of Pete. Will the Wild get their act together???

And don't get me started on Gabby.....[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

Damnit. I have both Kovalchuck and Booth in my pool [​IMG]

15. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

Toews hit was totally clean. The biggest piss-off was that they jumped Mitchell afterwards for what was not in the least a dirty play, and the idiot refs blew the whistle, while Sedin and Edler were 2 on 0. If you want to essentially cheat, and jump a guy for a clean hit, you should have to take what comes from that, namely a goal... the refs boned that play. Luckily we won the game anyway but at the time I was fucking incensed. Teacher Gaborik left the game last night with 8 minutes left after falling into Lundqvist so the dream might finally be over after what, 10 games? It's bound to happen sooner or later, either way. If you do want to see a Canuck hit that WASN'T clean, look no further.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

16. Teacher

Ah, I hadn't really read up on yesterday's news and didn't know about Gabby. I'm not saying I'm glad he's hurt, but if he went on to be healthy from now on, I'd be pissed.

And yes, that hit was nasty, reminescent of Ty Domi's horrible and infamous elbow on Niedermeyer.

17. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

No word on whether he's hurt or how bad yet, Torts basically said the game was out of reach (they had a 3 goal lead) and he didn't want to take any chances. But it's Gaborik so the rumours must fly. Domi was just a dirty player though, Bure was tired of getting roughed up in that series and just lost his head. Canucks have an interesting history of hits during the 90s playoffs, though none more memorable than Linden vs. Norton vs. The first 2 rows of the Coliseum:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. See when everyone was talking up the Lucic hit last year, that one really didn't get enough airtime. Simply the best glass-shattering play ever, and in the playoffs no less.

18. Teacher

Domi was just a dirty player though, Bure was tired of getting roughed up in that series and just lost his head.

I agree. I was just talking about the severity of each hit.

For reasons I don't understand, the NHL (and possibly the media) react astoundingly differently to each big hit. How is it that one player can be suspended 4 games and another suspended 16 for what amount to being the same infractions? If coaches, analysts, and players can't figure it out, I sure as hell can't.

19. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

How big a star are they? For example, Ovechkin is immune to suspension. The result is basically that someone is going to feed him ice and plexiglass at some point.

20. Casual

Casual Well-Known Member

Malkin is a good example of this.