1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ice Hockey

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Stazy, Oct 22, 2006.

1. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

Canucks are gonna win the cup if they keep playing like this.

2. enjoiii

enjoiii Well-Known Member

Man the Canucks are killllling it. Im lovin this.

3. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

They're not even, though. They're playing okay but they're winning despite not being as good as they can be. Wait until they play a solid 60 minute game... that hasn't happened yet. The reason they've been winning is that they've been getting bounces, and the blues have been unable to score (also partly due to bad bounces / posts but mostly Luongo).

4. bullethead

bullethead Well-Known Member

Looks like San Jose's post season will be a short one

5. enjoiii

They're not even, though. They're playing okay but they're winning despite not being as good as they can be. Wait until they play a solid 60 minute game... that hasn't happened yet. The reason they've been winning is that they've been getting bounces, and the blues have been unable to score (also partly due to bad bounces / posts but mostly Luongo).

So you don't think the Canuck's have been the better team?

6. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

As a kid I could not get enough hockey, but as the sport has slowly died in the mainstream media, my interest has flatlined. I wish there was more exposure so I could regain interest, because hockey playoffs are probably the second best postseason right behind March Madness.

7. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

Sundin is out and they said that Paul Kariya might come back.

With the series now 3-0, I think it'd be wise to sit Sundin at least one more game. If the Canucks manage to win the next one and get the sweep, then he'll have a week to recover from his "lower body injury."

They did great weathering the 1st period storm by the Blues and playing solid hockey for the most part, and then turning it up a notch at the opportune time (PP's, odd-man rushes, etc.) without getting into defensive lulls/brain-farts (except maybe Wellwood's mis-play on the McDonald goal).

8. svelten

svelten Well-Known Member

As a kid I could not get enough hockey, but as the sport has slowly died in the mainstream media, my interest has flatlined. I wish there was more exposure so I could regain interest, because hockey playoffs are probably the second best postseason right behind March Madness.
    Totally depends on where you live. Out here it's the only sport any media covers since, well, it's the only major sports team since the Grizzlies moved to Memphis. 90% of Vancouver fans are bandwagoners with no dedication to the team or the sport. It looks like Joe Thornton is back to his annual post-season hiatus, with Chris Pronger resuming his usual cross checking.

9. cheessus

cheessus Well-Known Member

Thank you Caps for not ruining my day. So far.....

10. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Well-Known Member

+1.
    (Keep hope alive.)

11. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

fuck, just cannot get into hockey. am trying.

12. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Well-Known Member

Fwiw, playoff hockey is all I'll watch.
    The NHL regular season is worse than the NBA.

13. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

The playoffs is the best part of hockey. What is it that keeps you from enjoying it?

Fwiw, playoff hockey is all I'll watch.
    The NHL regular season is worse than the NBA.

Nothing is worse than the NBA.

14. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

Curious into the reason why as well. As a Canadian, I could never wrap my head around why Americans don't 'get' hockey. It's like wondering how anybody could not like bacon. Considering the speed, action, hits, team play, persaverence, and sheer toughness required of its players. The Stanley Cup is the oldest trophy in professional sports, and is said to be one of the toughest to win. Maybe the super-bowl, if it was best of seven with 4 rounds. It just amazes me to see a player get their teeth knocked out from a stick-in-the-mouth, and to come out the next shift, score a goal, and spit out a mouthful of blood. Or diving head-first in front of a chunk of rubber flying at 100mph during a penalty kill just to ensure the puck doesn't reach the net. Or playing nearly half a season with a broken finger as an effective member of the team. I can't think of another major team sport where a player would give so much determination for his team just to win the championship.

15. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for

Um, maybe bowling.

Yes. Definitely bowling.

16. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

The playoffs is the best part of hockey. What is it that keeps you from enjoying it?

NBA playoffs are awesome. I can't stand regular season basketball, but like most sports, the playoffs are a completely different beast.

17. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

complete lack of understanding the rules of the game.

18. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

19. enjoiii

Hockey definately does not take long to learn compared to a game like football.

Canucks are gonna sweep the Blues tonight!!!

20. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

complete lack of understanding the rules of the game.

I think a lot of people like and understand it much better if they see it in person. It's hard to get the intensity of the game through the boob toob. At least that's what I've been told.