1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I want to start wearing a suit every day

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Interface, Oct 20, 2008.

1. MS13

MS13 New Member

You are completely right. Even funerals though have gotten more casual. At my uncle's funeral several years ago, I was the only one wearing a full suit and tie. The rest of the men just wore dress shirts, no ties, and dress slacks. True to the blue collar culture, some even had work/mechanic shoes on with their slacks! YIKES!

2. julius12

julius12 Active Member

You don't have to dress up to dress well.

I'd love to suit up too once in a while, but suiting up everyday is not the norm (of the general population) nowadays. I too hate the over-"casualization" of clothing, but that's the world we live in now. Unless your job requires it, wearing a suit too often just makes you look like an odd and/or uptight dandy (even if you're not). It's just too affected and impractical to put on a tie when it's not required, or to wear a jacket/blazer when it's too warm (though I do wear a blazer at work when it's too cold, and I'm the only one who does). Sticking out as the overdressed guy is not masculine or sexy, and there is a risk of your outfit looking costume-y.

Besides, dressing well without using ties and blazers is more fun and challenging. If you lived in the time when people wore suits everyday, you can only stand out by getting a better fit, using better color coordination, or using accessories. But at a glance you would still be basically dressed the same way as everyone else. Nowadays we have so many options, and dressing well to stand out from the slobs wearing baggy clothes, ugly t-shirts, and flip-flops is a lot easier. I want to be known as the stylish guy, not the overdressed guy.

3. Vasco

Vasco Well-Known Member

Well said. I agree with you. Certainly more of an opportunity nowadays to stand out.

4. Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn Well-Known Member

I recommend you to buy yourself a good shirt with a collar comfortable to you and try to wear slim fit tie, hope it will not make your feel uncomfortable. Donning a suit without a necktie won't give you the look you are actually looking for!

5. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

^^

You must be trolling!

3 people like this.
  6. Andy57

Andy57 Well-Known Member

You don't have to imagine. I wear a suit to the mall. Why not?

7. CTLION

CTLION Well-Known Member

I wear a suit everyday for work, and to be quite frank I enjoy wearing them. That being said, wearing a suit at home does not make sense to me, but that's just me. I rarely am seen with out a collared shirt, but a suit in the house for no occasion is too much for me.

8. Feyd Rautha

Feyd Rautha New Member

People are putting too much thought into this. If you wear a suit to Taco Hell, people aren't wondering why you wore a suit to Taco hell. They just see you looking good (hopefully) in a suit and go on about their lives. There are a million reasons why someone could be wearing a suit to any random place. Wearing a suit to random restaurant? Maybe it's an anniversary. Maybe it's a post interview celebration and you didn't have time to change. What idiot would sit there and judge you, and why would you care about that idiot? By the way, I doubt many women are looking down upon a man looking good in a suit. Sure, you may get the usual sports-obsessed slob looking down on you, but many women appreciate dress. That's why there are so many damn clothing stores for women because they notice! Nowadays women are increasingly in leadership positions over others. Times are always changing.

9. spectre

spectre Well-Known Member

Perfect summary.

I often end up wearing a suit in some random place because I've just stopped by to pick up something or whatever. I'm certainly not going to go home and change into a casual outfit then go back to a supermarket if the supermarket is on the way home.

No-one looks, no-one cares, they take it for what it is, I'm sure.

10. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Well-Known Member

People do judge. If it doesn't fit into the specific atmosphere, people will judge. Don't be 'suit guy', especially if you're under 30.

Edit: doh, just realized the OP was probably a joke

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  11. AMProf

AMProf Well-Known Member

You guys do realize that the OP posted this question 7 years ago, and last posted on SF 4 years ago? I don't think he's listening to your advice.

12. bdavro23

bdavro23 Well-Known Member

Quote:This is what happens when someone new joins, starts a new thread or asks an entry level, basic menswear question and gets shouted at for not using the search feature by some of the more helpful souls around here...

13. Feyd Rautha

Feyd Rautha New Member

It's a discussion. If random people want to keep reading it then so be it.

14. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

This

This as well. Great post.

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

I agree with Feyd Rautha. He's been working on that response post for seven years now. Let him have his moment in the sun.

1 person likes this.
  16. AMProf

AMProf Well-Known Member

Excellent point. I yield the floor.

17. TheLaw007

TheLaw007 New Member

look mate, i don't know you or anything, and if you wanna wear suits everyday go ahead and do it. BUT if you are doing it because you wanna impress people or you wanna showoff or some shit like that, just don't do it because it will not work for you as a matter afact i wont work at all, you will look like a jerk covered with make up. but if you are doing it because you like it and you want to stand out then that's a good start. so don't listen to any other folks that said no because you in school or you don't have a decent job and shit.

i am 23 years old now,i am fraud investigator, yes my job required suits but i started to wear suits since i was 14 years old, why ? because i loved it and i still do. i didn't care what ppl think nor what they say. and right now i have 25 per of suits.

now here's my tips for you mate,
    i would suggest you wear a 2 button or one button, a 3 button suits are more for elders and old school peeps, there's nothing wrong with that but again you wear what makes comfy mate.
    ! if you are a tall man, you should go with medium deep v 2 button that way you can get to be comfy.

and when you sit, always and always unbutton your, that it does not stack up your chest.
    samething if you're going to dance always always unbutton your suit.

go for it mate ! do what makes you happy :) and welcome to the suits world.

18. WolfA45

WolfA45 New Member

19. MrSmith

MrSmith Well-Known Member

[quote/]

This thread needs a decent burial.

Suits do not breed respect necesarily as you insist - out of place , which is something judged by society generally not the wearer it will cause much mirth and do you no good at all, so get that view out of your mind whilst you are young.[/quote]

Utter bollocks. Who care's what the chatterati think. Resurrected just for you.