1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I Want Another Scotch

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Huntsman, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Any recommendations?

I primarily enjoy Speysides and Islays, with Dalwhinnie, Macallan (12 and 18), Lagavulin 16, and Talisker among my favorites.

Recently picked up a NYT, and perused the rare single malts available. 30yo Oban's and Crag's are appealing, but I'm afraid I can't quite run to $300 for a whiskey -- nor that $2k 1947 Macallan. So anyone have a suggestion? JW Blue might be a consideration, as I have some wiggle room, but a blend seems a little humdrum to me at the moment.

Regards,
    Huntsman

2. cigarguy_MI

cigarguy_MI Member

You've already discovered my favorite - Lagavulin.

Of the classic 6, my fav's in order are:
    Lagavulin
    Talisker
    Oban
    Cragganmore

If you haven't already, try Glenfarclas 17, 21 or 25, Bowmore 17, Ardbeg and Aberlour 15

3. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

Edited for better assurance:

The name is Laphroiag, 30 year old, quite nice, runs about 125 Sterling, but I am not sure in the states. If you can find it, try, it has a deep peat flavor, and quite the tatse that will leave a guest mesmerized.

4. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

To be honest, I might buy a bottle of Macallan 18 year and have a nice dinner on the rest. Or I might go a bit over budget and get some Talisker 20 year.

5. ROT

ROT Well-Known Member

There is a Burgundy finish Macallan (I believe... could be Glenmorangie...) that is very successful. And if you can get ahold of any Springbank, it's wonderful stuff.

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

Hmm, how about: A bit above your price range: Glenmorangie 30 yr ~$200-300 Glen Rothes 30 yr (Speyside) $170-220 Talisker 20 yr: $180-210 About in your price range: Glen Grant 30 yr (Speyside) $100 MacPhail's 30 yr $150-200 Strathisla 30 yr $150 Bowmore 20 yr $170

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Isn't JW Blue a single malt?

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

JW blue is a blend (of single malts of up to 50 yrs age)

9. JFK

JFK Well-Known Member

If you haven't tried it yet, Huntsman, let me suggest the Bicentenary Edition Highland Park Vintage 1977 Reserve (Michael Jackson calls Highland Park "the greatest all-rounder in the world of malt whiskey"). It's not an Islay (Highland Park is on Orkney; it's the northernmost distillery in Scotland), but it's definitely an island malt - although with more heather than peat... The Bicentenary Edition is a beautifully complex 24-year-old, and it's right at your price point; I recently got a bottle from D & M Wines and Liquors in San Francisco for around $145.00 delivered, and it's well worth it. D & M also has a 28-year-old Glenlivet Murray McDavid Bottling for around $144 that I've been meaning to try (I really like the Glenlivet; they make some of the most subtle of the Speyside whiskies, but they generally have great depth and complexity, too). Oh; the URL for D & M (they have an incredible selection of scotches; many of them I've never found anywhere else): http://www.dandm.com/scotch.php

10. arenn1

arenn1 Well-Known Member

Actually, in this price range leave Scotland and head over to Ireland for a bottle of Midleton Very Rare, one of the finest whiskies available at any price.

11. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

i am with you, have 3 bottles, 2001, 2001, 2002, am hoping for a 2003 for X-mas this year from a friend in Birmingham...we will see....finest Irish whiskey made....period