1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I think I'm going to try a Beckett and Robb Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kai, Apr 8, 2013.

1. 68Bullitt

68Bullitt Well-Known Member

That is beautiful fabric Katabatic! I finally have made my way into their store and didn't see that, however, a forest green herringbone piqued my interest. I plan on going next week to speak with them and will decide if I'll make the plunge.

2. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

I'd certainly go for wonky, with the add on that I am not a fan, but agree that "dreadful" is a TAD too severe for such an "issue."

3. ericgereghty

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "lots of style?"

4. ericgereghty

For better or worse, I think neither is the most applicable answer.

SF folks (neither good nor bad) will nitpick to death, while (from my experience), random people are quite amenable to passing something that may be rather schlubby/ho hum off as something truly magnificent.

Examples: as of now (with impending wardrobe changes) I most often wear blazers/sport coats with slacks, and am constantly (multiple times daily) am complimented on my "suits." Also, wearing a SC/vest with mismatched flannel slacks at a NYE event yielded results akin to those received by the best dressed at the Oscars.

Granted, I live in LA, wear an SC almost always yields presumption that I am "dressed up." Point is, perhaps it's best to base an investment of multiple thousands of dollars on the opinion of neither those who demand unattainable perfection or the (relatively speaking) know nothings out there.

5. ericgereghty

Kai,

What are your "vitals" in regards to measurements/dimensions if you don't mind my asking? While you presumably wouldn't plausibly pass for an NBA center (at 5'8" myself, I can relate all too well), these suits seem to make you excessively short and excessively wide, which wouldn't seem the optimal endgame. The double breasted was the most glaring example by far.

I would similarly suggest a SLIGHTLY shorter length, which would do well to mitigate the perceived stoutness, in addition to the collar. I think it would be quite fair to expect more from B&R. They're not full bespoke, but they are far from cheap, and I have seen a handful of competitors/similarly priced outfits that (in my opinion) that put forth a better fitting product.

As always, it's your money and if you want what you have the way you have it, then you should give less than a shite about my opinion, but from what I can see, a good deal of these pieces to little to flatter your physique.

6. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I'm 5'9" 215 pounds with a 44 inch chest, 36 inch waist, 30 inch inseam. Definitely on the wide side.

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed reading through this thread. Thanks for taking the time to post about your "journey" @Kai. I am doing the same thing right now, and it certainly is an interesting experience!

As for the fit, with the exception of the Harris Tweed number, I like how they fit on you. I certainly think the Raphael suit looks the best... but the cost is fairly exorbitant IIRC (like $6k circa 2008?).

There are a couple issues, particularly regarding collar gap. But I think for the price, and for your shape, they work.

Again, thanks for taking the time to write all this up, provides for good reading!

8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Nothing too complicated about that point. I just meant that with a 'designer' suit, there's someone who's thought about various parts and come up with a specific idea, a look, a collection of features that creates an impression. I find MTM suits are often no-name companies with well known fabrics that product suits that hit all the right measurements, but don't have any personality to them. They fit in a sense, but they're just so lifeless. In contrast, with a little hunting around, most guys can find a suit off the rack where the model it was built to fit is fairly close to their own, and add in a little tailoring and my point is that often you end up with something that isn't a perfect fit but still has a lot more style and personality to it and for me that's a fair trade off instead of getting a 'perfect' measurements fit by the book but a suit without any clear look and styling. Better MTM operations have some sort of house style, at least a basic idea of a theme for their suits, but then again if you're going as far as that, then why not do the MTM program within a well known designer house anyway. It's just a general point. I think guys like B&R probably have enough of a 'look' built into all their suits that it's more than just a set of numbers. However, just in this case for example, I think the difference with Kai, between a MTM company that hits the numbers but lacks the style, and the Raphael which looks like it was made by a guy with some idea of his own about how a suit should fit, are pretty clear.

9. ericgereghty

Unless I'm misinterpreting, isn't a MTM operation like Beckett Robb and others naturally going to provide far MORE style than any OTR getup? My thought process being that anyone can have any part/specific idea/etc, which would in my mind provide exponentially more stylistic opportunities.

Isn't the beauty of MTM exactly that? That there is not a clear cut style you're expected to abide, which enables you to craft what you want? I personally LOVE patch pockets, yet can rarely find them on OTR duds...this would, in my mind, tout the benefits of MTM.

I agree that the Raphael suits look better, though, in my mind, that is a result of rather poorly fitting offerings from Beckett Robb.

10. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

Suit character really comes from shape and cut, mtm already decided that foe you, adding a ticket or not is going to change the house mtm cut.

2 suits can both fit "well" as per school thought but the character is from the shape

11. 330CK

330CK Well-Known Member

You definitely are a hard fit, but that Raphael is absolutely fantastic.

Love the A. Lange, too.

12. mcattaneo23

mcattaneo23 New Member

Hi all, first time poster here! I have an appointment on the 19th of March at B&R, any updates or recent feedback before I head in? It will be my first MTO suit so any tips and tricks would be appreciated! Thanks for all the amazing info on this site, its a huge help for a newbie.

13. scooter77

scooter77 Member

Thinking of visiting B&R too, wondering how your appointment and suit turned out? Sorry to revive an old thread!