1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Wait a second, I think I know that building now!

2. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

LOL

It may help to imagine a drum beating out "DUM DUM" when the image appears on your screen.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I drive a manual, curb my wheels, park in first and put on the brake. It doesn't even occur to me not to curb my wheels.

4. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

you're just knuckling under to the man, man.

5. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

I think you can still get a ticket for not tweeting or posting on Facebook about your parking spot. FYI.

6. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

where will you be enjoying your foie this week?

7. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

i'm not much of a foie guy. i've certainly had some great dishes, but it's not something I go out of my way to eat.

8. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

I'm stumped as to what to do when on a flat street. Do I turn in or turn out? What if I'm on an imperceptible grade? Do I need a pencil to test each road I park on? Matt, how do you park when running into the Tartine Bakery?

Speaking of which, what's with the hatred of sugar on the part of dessert bakers or ice cream makers here. I had to pour sugar on a pint of three twins ice cream just to make it taste like something you'd want for dessert.

lefty

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  9. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

duh - you didn't get the memo? Sweet desserts are no good no more. If someone asks you if you like dessert, the correct answer nowadays is "Yes. But I don't like sweet desserts"

10. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I don't go to the Mission much, and certainly not to Tartine. Problem solved.

12. imatlas

I've mounted a 6' spirit level on the hood of my car for rapid determination of inclination.

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

That won't do. This is what you need:

[​IMG]

lefty, I've not encountered this unsweet dessert phenomenon. May it ever the thus.

Yes, but I don't like sweet jesus.

14. imatlas

^ what if the angle isn't magnetic? Does it still work?

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

16. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

So last night. I'm in the mission and finish a meeting early. It's 5:30. I see a neighbourhood place across the street and call my wife. She says she'll be right over. I cross the street and enter the empty restaurant. They open at 5:30. It's now 5:34. I ask for a table for two and the waiter asks if I have a reservation. I look around the empty place and say no.

Now, I think to myself, okay maybe he wants to check me in if I did made a reservation, so I ask if they take reservations. He says no. I'm now immune to SF restaurant stupidity (or I'm hooked on the abuse), so I soldier on. I point to a table and say, I'll take than one. He raises his eyebrows and says, let me check if it's available. He then retreats behind the bar where he conferes with his other waiters. They eye me up and down and whisper. Finally, he comes back to say, yes, you may sit there.

I sit. And as I do so I realise that the concrete floor is so pitched (former warehouse) that the table and chairs are on a severe angle. I pull out my road grade pencil and sure enough it rolls right off. I feel like I'm eating on the Titanic. I stand up and notice my wife pulling up outside. He rushes over. It is 5:45 and the restaurant is still empty. I say, Im going to sit at that table, pointing to a 4 top outside. He says, that for four people. I say, I'm a big eater.

I've never been to a place where they make you feel as if they're doing you a favour by letting you eat in their restaurants.

lefty

17. fuzzyearlobes

fuzzyearlobes Well-Known Member

sounds like the San Francisco I know. I love the place, but hate so much about it, it hurts. I mostly just hate the people, so I cant blame the city for that. I have lived in Oakland for the past 2 years, SF 8 years prior to Oakland. Just the other day I met a friend and his daughter who is like 4 or 5 now. Hadnt seen his daughter in 2 years. They are one of those couples who never tell their daughter no, gave her their old iPhone at 2 years old kinda shit. I lasted about 4 minutes around this brat before I had to bail. San Francisco seems to attract that kind of person, and its taken a long time for me to come to terms with the fact that those are the kinds of people I fucking hate.

18. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Well, what did you get? And did you eat all 4 entrees, or did you take some home? Or did your wife eat her fair share, in which case, go Mrs. Lefty.

19. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Name names please.

20. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

We shared 6 apps as the entrees didn't do it for us.

The leftette is saint for putting up with me, but she does have her evil side. Her favourite sport these days is New Yorkin' a cab out from under the nose of unsuspecting SFans.

I have to go Joe Friday on this.

lefty