1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

2. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

You're right. I don't know what I was thinking. I hope The City can find it in its heart to forgive me.

lefty

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

We'll take that under advisement, D. In your favor are your earlier comments suggesting that you might like to visit The City again. More like that, and you'll be right along the way to redemption.

:)

4. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Once I can call it "The City" without the bile rising into my mouth I should be good to go.

lefty

5. sugarbutch

If it helps, you're only required (yes, legally, but it's rarely enforced...) to call it The City within 20 miles of The Bay.

6. sugarbutch

7. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

There's something deliciously rich about SF members calling out somebody for "elititist BS".

8. sugarbutch

I think you're seeing something that isn't there...

9. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

There's a difference between crass elitism and the pursuit of good taste.

Additionally, there is such a thing as "good elitism" in the social context, usually hand in hand with noblesse oblige and differentiated from classism.

The trick is to ensure that neither elitism nor populism completely rules the day.

The meat troll at the Google protest is an example of an elitist posing as a populist posing as an elitist. Rather like a Georgia Minstrel, but less entertaining and more offensive. He thinks he's doing God's Work, and that that gives him a pass to engage in a Big Lie. Demagoguery, basically.

1 person likes this.
  10. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

ok, so i was being a little sarcastic about the skateboarding, but did enjoy seeing the skateboarders do their stuff, and loved san fran. either way, i was reminded of this. for some reason.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  11. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Well-Known Member

And then there is SF.

12. size 38R

size 38R Well-Known Member

i see what you did there..[​IMG]

13. sugarbutch

There is a legitimate grievance about the private buses' use of Muni stops and their routes which include streets ill-suited to large motor coaches. Unfortunately, very few people seem content to confine their efforts to resolving those relatively minor issues. Even if those never get resolved, they're a net positive:

[​IMG]

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

This is far superior to Canada as basically there is "The City" and the "ROC" (rest of Canada.)

16. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

This is excellent.

1 person likes this.
  17. Piobaire

Read that link...wut? "Corporate use" of public streets is a problem?

18. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

I don't know if that was sloppy phrasing or stupidity. I've only heard complaints about the use of the bus stops, not the streets themselves. I'm sure most people understand that 50 people on a bus beats the hell out of 50 cars on the road.

I walk through the intersection where the protest occurred every day. It's probably the busiest spot in the city for "Google Buses". There are stops on 3 of the 4 corners, from Google, Yahoo, YouTube, and probably several other companies. Roughly one bus stops there every ten minutes between 7 and 9 every morning. Irregardless, I think I've seen a conflict with a city bus prevented from getting into the bus zone once in the last year.

On the other hand, it pisses me off that the corporate buses never seem to pull all the way out of the crosswalk, forcing me to walk into the traffic lane to get around them. Bitches.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  19. Piobaire

I'm not even sure if using the bus stops is a legit "problem. No one would complain about a taxi stopping there to pick up a passenger. I can see if there are mutual arrival times but it's tax dollars funding both the bus pull outs and subsidizing the buses themselves. I think sharing is the best idea but understand it's not really about the use of the pull outs but rather anti-gentrification forces at work.

20. sugarbutch

That's hardly exclusive to the private buses. If their behavior is any guide, Muni drivers are apparently fined for pulling up to the curb in a bus stop. I suspect they might get fired if they stayed in one lane while driving down Mission. One day I will get around to making my video exposé of their horrible driving on Mission.

The private buses aren't subsidized by tax dollars, but they are consuming a public resource without paying for it. Everyone agrees that the companies should use the bus stops and that they should pay a fee to use them. What's left to work out is which stops and and how much. That's what makes the protest fucking stupid.

And, as Matt said, Fuck Muni.