1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. grit

grit Well-Known Member

Lazy Bear food at its best is really outstanding, but beware of the communal seating. I went there with the lady and we sat next to basically the worst people in the world (one of the major themes of the evening was trying to figure out whether or not Mike had gone to Harvard, another was San Francisco restaurants they had been to that were better than Lazy Bear). If you go, bring your own friends.

2. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

I only ate at one sushi place: Kiss Seafood on Laguna. Very small - maybe three tables, husband and wife team, omakase was good.

lefty

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

In San Francisco this should not be a surprise to anybody.

My experience (very limited) with them is that the food is just ok It falls squarely into the category of ironic hipster food for the Mac and cheese generation.

4. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

You actually jumped through these hoops?

Reservation and Payment Information
    This info was last updated June 7, 2013 .
    This page describes the process and policies for reservations at Lazy Bear dinners, which we hold about three weekends per month, usually for three nights per weekend. We try to include Mondays so that industry people can get in. We are not open except on those sporadic weekends, and you can never make same-day reservations. Instead, we take reservations online only when we open them up, which we usually do about one to two weeks in advance of the dinners via the process described below.
    Sometimes we do unusual events in which the process differs from what is described below. If that's the case, any announcements about those events will describe the process. But for most events, here's how it works:
    Reservations Via Lottery
    We get a lot of requests for the small number of spots we usually offer per weekend--enough to fill all the seats many, many times over. We used to give people reservations first-come, first-served, but it mostly meant that whoever woke up earliest got the spots. So, we started randomizing the process of assigning reservations.
    When reservations open up, we send an email to our mailing list, post it on our Twitter feed, and post it on the blog. We typically open up reservation requests for a two or three-day period about one and a half or two weeks before the events.
    The requests are submitted via the Reservation Request Form. The form will only be available when reservations are open. If you want a reservation, request one when reservations are open by filling out and submitting that form. After submitting that request you do not have a reservation! You have only requested a reservation, which may later be offered if your group comes up in the lottery. Note that we do usually give a slightly higher probability to diners who have never been to Lazy Bear, and to those who were waitlisted for the previous events. Please submit only one request per party.
    Reservation Offers and Confirmation Deposit
    Once the reservation period has closed, we will run the random lottery and assign the first group of reservations. We will email the parties who initially have gotten in, offering each a reservation, and asking for each to confirm the reservation by paying a deposit equal in value to one diner's price at the dinner. That deposit is usually paid by purchasing one deposit ticket through EventBrite, which we'll let them know about when they are being offered the reservation. Once we have received a party's confirmation deposit, we will send them an email with the location of the event and any other details they need to know.
    If you receive an email offering you a reservation, and it turns out that you can no longer attend, please at least respond and let us know you can't attend so that we can offer the reservation to a party on the waiting list.
    Cancellation Policy
    Once you purchase a deposit ticket, you are committing to pay for the full number of seats in your party, even if you ultimately can't make it to the dinner. If you let us know in advance that you can't make it, we will fill the seats and you will only be out a deposit (or, if you have a good excuse, we may at our discretion offer to carry your deposit over to a future dinner.
    Waitlists for Events
    Any party who doesn't get in initially will automatically go on that event's waitlist. As seats open up (and lots of them always do) we will continue to contact those on the waitlist on a rolling basis in order to offer them reservations, right up until the day of a dinner. However, you still won't hear from us unless and until you are being offered a reservation. We don't send out an email saying, "Sorry, you didn't get in," because there is never a point at which there's no chance you'll be offered a reservation if someone cancels. Please don't email us just to ask if you got in. If you haven't received an email saying you got in, and you've checked your spam folder as well, then you didn't get in. But if you don't get in, take heart! You'll get a slight boost in priority for the next events!
    Reservation offers will come from reservations@lazybearsf.com, so you should add that address to your address book to ensure the email gets through. If we call you about open spots, the phone call will usually come from David's phone, (415)613-3373, so you should add that number to your phone as well. Most weekends there are at least a dozen parties who miss out on the chance to attend because they don't answer their phone when we call.

lefty

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  5. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

:facepalm:

1 person likes this.
  6. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Christ. And I thought Brooklyn restaurants were bad. Fuck that.

7. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

In fairness, it's not actually restaurant so it's not like they can be on open table. They have about 30 seats per night, and typically did 2 or 3 nights a month. Lately they've been doing a lot more nights. I've been there a couple of times this year and the food is enjoyable. I have a less "food is serious business" approach than theguywhosenameismatt and find lazy bear worth a trip. In terms of getting reservations, you just reply to the email and sometimes you get picked, sometimes you don't. It's not like we have to wait in line or call a million times.

Also I think Bordelay is a nice guy - he hangs out afterward and is pretty likable. The people who frequent lazy bear haven't been as insufferable as I would have expected, but maybe we've just been lucky with the crowd around us. Also, BYOB is awesome.

8. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

I haven't tried Sushi Ran yet but I've been meaning to go but it is not in SF. I heard Sushi Sho in El Cerrito is very good too, but that is also not in SF.

I heard Sebo is worthless

Actor LA friends in LA have no fuckig clue about sushi since they all came from iowa etc.

Sushi Gen is a mainstay in LA, located in little tokyo, it feels like a tokyo sushi restaurant, no frills, just really good food and consistent very good sushi that doesn't cost over $200 for two people with alcohol.

That is what I am looking for.

9. djblisk

My question in regards to Lazy Bear is exactly that.

You have to jump through all these hoops for a fucking meal. around $120 per person without alcohol and tip.

10. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Sanfoians tend to judge restaurants by the degree of difficulty it takes to actually sit down. The more sadistic the process the greater the review.

I shudder to read the yelp comments...

Quote: lefty

11. UnFacconable

I think it's more like $95 without alcohol and tip. And by "jump through all these hoops" - isn't it just get on the mailing list and reply when you are interested in going? If you get in, you go, otherwise, you don't.

But seriously, don't go. Why all the handwringing over some restaurant that you don't want to go to? It's not some rite of passage or mandatory requirement.

12. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Dude, tweet this idea to David Chang, he could take over The City in a matter of weeks.

13. itsstillmatt

I only had his food when he was a guest cook somewhere. I don't do hoops.

14. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

he is the king, and maybe the inventor, of chicken-shit reservation games.

15. djblisk

handwriging? I had a simple question.

If it was good enough, I would totally try to go.

16. itsstillmatt

Oh. I was referring to lazy bear. I hate all of the reservation games. Everywhere.

Unfaconnable- it isn't that I take dining seriously. I actually don't. It is that I don't really think this generation of American food tastes good. I get the whole embrace the foods of our youth thing, I just think that doing it with a McDonald's palate and ten servings of extra fat is for the shits. And adding a plaid shirt doesn't make it better. At all.

17. UnFacconable

This is probably where we differ - because I do think it tastes good. Do I think places like Lazy Bear and State Bird Provisions serve better food than La Folie? Not at all but it's still tasty.

Completely agree with you on the way they're trying to sell the audience although I would say they are doing it with buzzwords and foraging and by serving 10 kinds of meat. My wife's best running joke, bless her soul, is that every time she grabs food out of our pantry she announces that she's going to forage for it. She just foraged a bowl of cereal.

I don't think the reservations point is really fair. Short of opening a genuine restaurant (which is in the works) I'm not sure what else they can really do to offer food to the public. He tried first come first serve and it was worse. The current lottery system is fine. If you need to schedule dinners far out in advance and all that, Lazy Bear just isn't an option. We tend to do everything last minute and the last time we went Lazy Bear called us 1 hour before the meal and offered us some seats so we went. It's not like french laundry where you either know someone there, pound the phones or never go. If you reply to the email, you will get a reservation at Lazy Bear. Maybe not first time, but within a few tries.

18. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

19. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

My favorite sushi place is Hamano on Castro and 24th.

20. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I haven't been there since I lived on Church ages ago.