1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I need help matching a pair of shoes to my suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by svalentine, Apr 21, 2013.

1. svalentine

svalentine Member

Yesterday I purchased a suit from Emporio Armani. Its fits like a glove so that is not the concern at all. The suit is black and has as shine to it, its definitely not a matte finish. I was wondering what kind of shoes I should pair with it? If patent leather would be too shiny? Or if I should try to find some high polished regular leather shoes. Here is a link to a similar suit, the difference is mine is in black.

http://www.armani.com/us/emporioarmani/one-button-suit_cod49129864oe.html

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

I know that short jackets are in right now, but that takes it to a whole new level. The sleeves are at least an inch longer than the jacket.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  3. Spandexter

Spandexter Well-Known Member

Clags you're so polite. :)

Re the suit - I hope it fits you significantly different from that photo. Black, shiney and short combined is not good, although it depends on your purpose for this suit.

1 person likes this.
  4. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

+1.

Provided it fits better than this--or if not, that it can't be returned--what shoes probably depends on the occasion you are wanting to wear it.

5. svalentine

svalentine Member

I'm 28 and enjoy the night life here in Tokyo. Im a white guy living here. So the suit is mainly for going out to clubs, bars and the occasional date here and there. I'll take some pictures once I complete the outfit. I'm just thrown off with the shine in the suit because usually I go with a matte look. But this one is exceptional since I have dark brown hair and a decent tan. So I'm up in the air when pairing shoes.

6. svalentine

svalentine Member

here is a quick pick I took of the suit the night I bought it.. missing belt and I know the ties a bit long ;p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Snaporaz

Snaporaz Active Member

The suit is a rather too fashion-led for this forum, but if you like it and can carry it off, the shoes should be quite sleek- single soled oxfords, derbies or Chelsea boots in calf or patent leather. (Patent will heighten the look, calf will tone it down very slightly.) Have a look at the slim fit black suits on mrporter.com for ideas.

8. svalentine

svalentine Member

I've matched it with some patent leather but I'm not sure if that's too over the top/formal. But, it does indeed heighten the look.

9. Snaporaz

Snaporaz Active Member

If in doubt, wear it with calf. If you like the look, you can raise the stakes later.