1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Huntsman, Mar 9, 2008.

1. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Are two varieties of orange bitters really necessary? Though since you have them, what do you think of the (fairly) new Angostura orange bitters in comparison?

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I've not tried the new Angostura orange ones yet but I will tell you I greatly prefer the Fee Brothers West Indies one over Regan's.

The VTR (Velvet Tango Room) bitters you see there are the best bitters I've ever had. I have a track on some newer artisnal ones that I will report on as I get them.

Wow, just looked at post history here. Been nearly two years since I posted in this thread and I'm still the #1 poster in this thread.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  3. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Get with it buddy. No one like a quitter.

1 person likes this.
  4. denning

denning Well-Known Member

I quite like the Citadelle gin. I think I posted about it in the gin thread.
    I had remnants of Junipero, Martin Miller, Plymouth, Tanqueray and a new bottle of Citadelle.

Citadelle had the best nose by far, Junipero the best taste.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Gin thread! I've tuned out too much here.

I told Mrs. PIob something very painful today. This French gin might be better than Hendricks. It hurts. Also, it's 30% less money.

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

^ wow, I had always kind of dismissed it out of hand.

7. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

Buddy of mine is in London for the Olympics. Is there anything that I should have him bring back to the States, preferably something good that can't be found in the country (or in Ohio with our oppressive alcohol laws)? This is open to anything, with a special focus perhaps on Gin. The gins I have right now are Tanqueray No. 10, Martin Miller's, Aviation, Plymouth, Hendrick's, and I just ran out of my well gin (Beefeater).

Thanks guys!

8. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Get some Cuban rums. Can you pass those through customs? Pretty much everything they sell in the UK we can get here in the states. Don't know specifically about Ohio though.

9. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

Didn't think of cuban rum. Definitely going to ask him about them.

10. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

If you're particularly interested in gin, the Plymouth Navy Strength is beloved and not available (yet) in the States. Were it me, I'd be going for whisky that is not available Stateside, like, for instance, Mortlach's distillery bottling. My favorite vodka, Smirnoff Black Copper Pot Still, would also rank highly.

~ H

12. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

I just went through a samper 12 pack of Victory. Also bought a bottle of Old Overholt I've barely touched.

13. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

14. Hampton

Seems you will get drunk tonight ;)

15. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Sure!
    Actually, I'm stocking up a little because I think spirits in BE/NL are a little more expensive.

16. Hampton

Yeah true that. Sometimes I just buy diffrent kind of spirits to save up, guests or make a drink sometime. Always good to have.

17. b1os

b1os Well-Known Member

Yeah.. problem is that spirits take so much space. Right now, I have like 30-40 bottles (or so) and if I stock up, I'd have about 55. And then there's the cost.. :laugh:

18. Hampton

Yepp I know, that's why I have some old shit in the garage and finer stuff in doors. Actually I have bottles all over the place at home :D

19. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

I think you're misunderstanding the type of drinkers most in here are- I don't think many here buy bottles for the purpose of consuming them quick. They're buying liquor to maintain a well stocked selection rather than buying it to drink immediately. You're almost certainly not going to find anybody who drinks with the sole aim of getting hammered.

20. Hampton

What did I write? I wrote that it's always good to buy and save up? Have a big stock of many diffrent liquor. Didn't write anything about drinking it fast?