• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Our cats got me a Father's Day present. Yea me. $250 gift certificate at my favorite local wine shop. Which was having a 30% off sale
smile.gif

DSC00585.jpg

I think I did pretty nicely for $250. The best bottle is probably the David Arthur. The bottle I will probably enjoy the most is the Titans from Peay. Saw a 2001 Chateau Y'qem Imperial. This wine received a perfect 100 from WS and keep in mind an Imperial is six litres or the equivalent of eight bottles. The predicted drinking window is from 2012 to 2100. Cost? 8.4k.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Our cats got me a Father's Day present. Yea me. $250 gift certificate at my favorite local wine shop. Which was having a 30% off sale
smile.gif
DSC00585.jpg
I think I did pretty nicely for $250. The best bottle is probably the David Arthur. The bottle I will probably enjoy the most is the Titans from Peay. Saw a 2001 Chateau Y'qem Imperial. This wine received a perfect 100 from WS and keep in mind an Imperial is six litres or the equivalent of eight bottles. The predicted drinking window is from 2012 to 2100. Cost? 8.4k.

Your cats were probably concerned about the uncertainty of the upcoming election. If HOPE and CHANGE carry the day, the Imperial would have been a bit out of their reach, new tax increases and all.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merckx
Your cats were probably concerned about the uncertainty of the upcoming election. If HOPE and CHANGE carry the day, the Imperial would have been a bit out of their reach, new tax increases and all.

Those cats are smarter than I thought!
laugh.gif

Man, I would love to own that Imperial. I don't think I could bring myself to ever open it though.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly, $8,400 doesn't sound so bad to me for a freakin Imperial of 01 d'Yquem. Huntsman want. This is my new, long-awaited purchase, Rothman and Winter Creme de Violette, with its progeny, the Aviation.
dsc0855mx0.jpg

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Aviation is an underappreciated and undermade drink. A tip of my hat to you, sir Huntsman.

While recipes may differ, here's one for those of you willing to track down the elusive creme de violette.

The Aviation

* 2 oz Gin
* ½ oz Lemon Juice
* 2 tsp Maraschino liquor (such as Luxardo or Stock)
* 1 tsp Creme de Violette

Shake, strain, enjoy.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks -- am a certified freak for classic cocktails. My recipe is very similar (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...43#post1132243) but I'm using a little more Violette. Have a favorite gin for the drink? I tried Junipero, then Plymouth, and wound up liking Beefeaters of all things. ~ Huntsman

Enigma89

Reaction score
This thread may not be geared toward these type of questions. But have any of you tried Svedka Vodka before? It is supposed to fill the void between Absolut and Grey Goose in quality and price. I have to say, and tell me if you think I am crazy, but I happen to enjoy Svedka a lot more than Grey Goose.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Enigma89
This thread may not be geared toward these type of questions. But have any of you tried Svedka Vodka before? It is supposed to fill the void between Absolut and Grey Goose in quality and price. I have to say, and tell me if you think I am crazy, but I happen to enjoy Svedka a lot more than Grey Goose.
No, but I hate both Absolut and Grey Goose, so if it's in the middle between them, I'm probably still going to hate it.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Restocked both my Lillet Rouge and Blanc tonight, picked up a Fernet-Branca, a bottle of Cahaca, and what is probably the first bottle of Tequila I've ever purchased -- Tres Generations Blanco.

~ Huntsman

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Nothing really special, just some summer drinkers. An interesting note though, the MacMurray is as in "Fred". He started a vineyard and it is still in production.

DSC00599.jpg

Also, my new burlwood wine key came in!

DSC00604.jpg

Hunts: The three generations is a nice drinker IMO. Goes great is cocktails.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The key is beautiful, Piobaire. Glad the 3G passes muster. It made me a good margarita, but I've really no reference on this stuff.
~H

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
The key is beautiful, Piobaire. Glad the 3G passes muster. It made me a good margarita, but I've really no reference on this stuff.
~H

it is acceptabele but honestly fro the price to quality ratio fro me it lacks they are better marsk than tres fro the the same price opr slightly more and there are equal tequilas for consiberally less.
for example milagro reposado costs less and i find it to be superior

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
it is acceptabele but honestly fro the price to quality ratio fro me it lacks they are better marsk than tres fro the the same price opr slightly more and there are equal tequilas for consiberally less.
for example milagro reposado costs less and i find it to be superior

Scarphe:

I would compare the Milagro "silver" to the Three G, not the reposado. But I agree, Milagro is a lesser known brand (for now) and is a better value for the price. I have been drinking Milagro for several years and pick up the blanco or "silver" at Sam's Club for $20. They also have some premium tequilas that also give excellent value.

I used to drink El Jimador reposado, but they have most of their agave fields wiped out several years ago, and stopped being 100% blue agave. That used to be the best $20 tequila on the market IMO.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Scarphe:

I would compare the Milagro "silver" to the Three G, not the reposado. But I agree, Milagro is a lesser known brand (for now) and is a better value for the price. I have been drinking Milagro for several years and pick up the blanco or "silver" at Sam's Club for $20. They also have some premium tequilas that also give excellent value.

I used to drink El Jimador reposado, but they have most of their agave fields wiped out several years ago, and stopped being 100% blue agave. That used to be the best $20 tequila on the market IMO.

agreed sorry for comparing un reposado with a blanco. I should have compared it with that. But my experience with blancos is limited i prefer Añejo or if i am in in bar i will accept reposado. if you want to trya a truly great tequila try the don julio 1942.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads