1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Huntsman, Mar 9, 2008.

1. ADH

ADH Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a beef with Irish whisky? My first experience was Bushmills and it wasn't a good one. I am a Scotch man anyway, and I try to grab what is available in my area. In the past few months I have been sipping on Dalmore and Pultaney. The usuals are MM and Jack. Any comments?

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I keep telling you guys, these posts are useless without pictures! Help a guy out who is having withdrawals from his usual buying patterns.

3. Crowlin

Crowlin Member

In the vein of Tokyo's post in the Fine Living forum, post the newest acquisitions to your cellar, fridge, or bar.
    Limoncello
    , which always invokes Italian memories.

4. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

I keep telling you guys, these posts are useless without pictures! Help a guy out who is having withdrawals from his usual buying patterns.
    Alright, you talked me into it. The bottle behind the mostly empty Woodford is a Derby-edition Woodford bottle with a neat painting of the race that I thought was cool enough to pick up (and who doesn't need more Woodford?). I like to keep it simple so just rum, bourbon, and scotch for me: [​IMG]

5. Dmax

Dmax Well-Known Member

So how is that compared to "Fernet Branca" & "Underberger" ?
    Would not be able to tell you yet [​IMG]. Fernet Branca is on my future purchases list while Underberger I would need to research. I am just getting into Italian Amaros.

6. Piobaire

Ahhh, thanks Brian [​IMG] Nice stuff.

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Alright, you talked me into it. The bottle behind the mostly empty Woodford is a Derby-edition Woodford bottle with a neat painting of the race that I thought was cool enough to pick up (and who doesn't need more Woodford?). I like to keep it simple so just rum, bourbon, and scotch for me:
    Simple, perhaps, but this is all some solid stuff. Makes me want to do better in the rum department myself....

8. Brian278

Simple, perhaps, but this is all some solid stuff. Makes me want to do better in the rum department myself....

Might I recommend Pritchard's (the colored version, about $30-35 a bottle), an American rum that presents as a decidedly bourbon-esque take on rum. It's very different than the South American stuff that I usually drink.

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Might I recommend Pritchard's (the colored version, about $30-35 a bottle), an American rum that presents as a decidedly bourbon-esque take on rum. It's very different than the South American stuff that I usually drink.

How's that Centenario? For some reason that bottle is sticking out to me every time I view the picture (which has been a lot, i'm a liquor pron freak). It looks like it'd taste good, even thought that probably sounds dumb considering you can't see the actual rum.

10. Brian278

How's that Centenario? For some reason that bottle is sticking out to me every time I view the picture (which has been a lot, i'm a liquor pron freak). It looks like it'd taste good, even thought that probably sounds dumb considering you can't see the actual rum.

It's a very sweet, easy to drink rum, lots of caramel to it, it blends in with most anything. At $20 it's a pretty good value for mixing when you don't want to break the bank when you're just making a rum and coke with friends.

11. Piobaire

Our cats got me a Father's Day present. Yea me. $250 gift certificate at my favorite local wine shop. Which was having a 30% off sale [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I did pretty nicely for $250. The best bottle is probably the David Arthur. The bottle I will probably enjoy the most is the Titans from Peay. Saw a 2001 Chateau Y'qem Imperial. This wine received a perfect 100 from WS and keep in mind an Imperial is six litres or the equivalent of eight bottles. The predicted drinking window is from 2012 to 2100. Cost? 8.4k.

12. Merckx

Merckx Well-Known Member

Our cats got me a Father's Day present. Yea me. $250 gift certificate at my favorite local wine shop. Which was having a 30% off sale [​IMG] [​IMG] I think I did pretty nicely for $250. The best bottle is probably the David Arthur. The bottle I will probably enjoy the most is the Titans from Peay. Saw a 2001 Chateau Y'qem Imperial. This wine received a perfect 100 from WS and keep in mind an Imperial is six litres or the equivalent of eight bottles. The predicted drinking window is from 2012 to 2100. Cost? 8.4k.
    Your cats were probably concerned about the uncertainty of the upcoming election. If HOPE and CHANGE carry the day, the Imperial would have been a bit out of their reach, new tax increases and all.

13. Piobaire

Your cats were probably concerned about the uncertainty of the upcoming election. If HOPE and CHANGE carry the day, the Imperial would have been a bit out of their reach, new tax increases and all.

Those cats are smarter than I thought! [​IMG]

Man, I would love to own that Imperial. I don't think I could bring myself to ever open it though.

14. Huntsman

Frankly, $8,400 doesn't sound so bad to me for a freakin Imperial of 01 d'Yquem. Huntsman want. This is my new, long-awaited purchase, Rothman and Winter Creme de Violette, with its progeny, the Aviation. [​IMG]

15. Girardian

Girardian Well-Known Member

The Aviation is an underappreciated and undermade drink. A tip of my hat to you, sir Huntsman.

While recipes may differ, here's one for those of you willing to track down the elusive creme de violette.

The Aviation

* 2 oz Gin
    * ½ oz Lemon Juice
    * 2 tsp Maraschino liquor (such as Luxardo or Stock)
    * 1 tsp Creme de Violette

Shake, strain, enjoy.

16. Huntsman

Thanks -- am a certified freak for classic cocktails. My recipe is very similar (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...43#post1132243) but I'm using a little more Violette. Have a favorite gin for the drink? I tried Junipero, then Plymouth, and wound up liking Beefeaters of all things. ~ Huntsman

17. Enigma89

Enigma89 Well-Known Member

This thread may not be geared toward these type of questions. But have any of you tried Svedka Vodka before? It is supposed to fill the void between Absolut and Grey Goose in quality and price. I have to say, and tell me if you think I am crazy, but I happen to enjoy Svedka a lot more than Grey Goose.

18. Huntsman

This thread may not be geared toward these type of questions. But have any of you tried Svedka Vodka before? It is supposed to fill the void between Absolut and Grey Goose in quality and price. I have to say, and tell me if you think I am crazy, but I happen to enjoy Svedka a lot more than Grey Goose.
    No, but I hate both Absolut and Grey Goose, so if it's in the middle between them, I'm probably still going to hate it.

19. Huntsman

Restocked both my Lillet Rouge and Blanc tonight, picked up a Fernet-Branca, a bottle of Cahaca, and what is probably the first bottle of Tequila I've ever purchased -- Tres Generations Blanco.

~ Huntsman

20. Piobaire

Nothing really special, just some summer drinkers. An interesting note though, the MacMurray is as in "Fred". He started a vineyard and it is still in production.

[​IMG]

Also, my new burlwood wine key came in!

[​IMG]

Hunts: The three generations is a nice drinker IMO. Goes great is cocktails.