1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I have issues with writing.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by LabelKing, Mar 4, 2007.

1. MrRogers

MrRogers Well-Known Member

I have terrible handwriting so I block print everything I write that needs to be read by others. One place I work for has a "4 minute rule" which dictates that if a written page takes longer than 4 min to decipher, it doesnt exist, and therefore, I do not get paid. The other needs to be able to read my notes and distinguish exactly what was accomplished in a 50 minute session, again, if it is messy I don't get paid. Some choose to ignore the guidelines but I think it is inconsiderate to the other people reading a patients chart. I have collected fine pens over the years so I enjoy writing rather than considering it an annoying chore.

To the above poster, my school still requires written essays.

MrR

2. MrRogers

MrRogers Well-Known Member

I think anything is more pleasing than your elitist handwriting. Goes well with your attitude, though.

Oops, I almost forgot. Connie, STFU

MrR

3. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Well-Known Member

Label King, I won't argue that more attention was paid to handwriting, during one time or another. As to how much difference it made, I can't say. People tell me that my handwriting looks 'old world,' or 18th century. All I know is, that nobody else in my class, wrote the way I did. Nobody I knew in college, wrote like I do. I get comments about my script, daily. Did I do anything at all, to perfect my script, or to try to refine it? Nothing. It's been the same, since about fourth grade.

4. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

Oops, I almost forgot. Connie, STFU

MrR

Aww. I knew your hard-on for me wasn't going soft.[​IMG]

5. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Why should educators spend time perfecting their students' handwriting?
    It'll come in handy post-apocolypse.

6. Dakota rube

Label King, I won't argue that more attention was paid to handwriting, during one time or another. As to how much difference it made, I can't say. People tell me that my handwriting looks 'old world,' or 18th century. All I know is, that nobody else in my class, wrote the way I did. Nobody I knew in college, wrote like I do. I get comments about my script, daily. Did I do anything at all, to perfect my script, or to try to refine it? Nothing. It's been the same, since about fourth grade.
    (count the commas)

7. Ivan Kipling

You, ain't, seen, nothin,' yet.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

My mother was a school teacher of the older variety (not that you're old, mom) and I painted in Chinese water color and practiced Chinese calligraphy for ten years. My penmanship is very good. Very useful for writing the occasional Christmas or birthday card.

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Even if I can't read your script, LK, I find it elegant. I am constantly striving to improve mine, and have considered a class for the rigour. I find mine passable only when I am writing with my dip pens and thus focused soley on the endeavor.

Regards, as always,
    Huntsman

10. Dakota rube

... (not that you're old, mom) ...
    You're not implying that your mother visits StyleForum, are you?[​IMG]

11. Ivan Kipling

The writing instrument, can make a difference. I've never been able to use a fountain pen. My favorites, are the micro-fine uni-ball vision, and Bic Z4 .5, mm. Heavyweight pens, restrict flow, and don't allow for speed.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

13. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

If I write slowly, I can write legibly. However, in middle school throughout high school I had broken my writing arm a couple times and my handwriting has never been the same since. My handwriting pretty much looks like crap. I often mix print and cursive and upper and lowercase within the same word if I'm not careful.

I can type almost 100 words per minute and the majority of tests I took in college were numerical so it hasn't really affected me too much directly.

I will say that I think it is sad how horrible the spelling and penmanship is these days. I think that taking pride in penmanship, clothing, etc really lifts a society up. I see the increasing sloppiness as affecting our culture and society in a negative way.

In 5th grade, I was one word away from going to the state spelling bee championship, now I can't function without a spell check.

14. Ivan Kipling

'collector, I am the opposite. I cannot write legibly, if I go slow. The faster I write, the better the result.

15. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

'collector, I am the opposite. I cannot write legibly, if I go slow. The faster I write, the better the result.

When I find myself going too fast, I might do something like not loop the bottom of my lowercase 'f', etc. I also will omit letters by just drawing a line or squiggle through the space they should be at.

16. Ivan Kipling

Most people probably feel the way you do. I've never been able, to write slow. BTW: the World Handwriting Contest, is 'open' for entries, until June 30. Just in case, you're interested.

17. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

In 5th grade, I was one word away from going to the state spelling bee championship, now I can't function without a spell check.

Do you read? Someone that reads a lot should have no problems with spelling or grammar.

18. Gaius Pompeius Trimalchio

Gaius Pompeius Trimalchio Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that both tiecollector and LK conflate aesthetic refinement and moral scruples. In a sense, both of you are reiterating the humanist belief in the power of aesthetic to improve the moral. I'm very sympathetic to this notion, but at the same time, I've never been able to justify it with much success--probably because I'm in an English Department.

That being said, I've had the opportunity this semester to access the Folger Library's books and manuscripts for my thesis research. Nothing will convince you of the value of beautiful penmanship like 16th century manuscripts. I called up a few books from Ben Jonson's library for fun, and this huge bear-of-a-man had written these graceful notes in the margins of Martial, Chaucer, etc.

In terms of beautiful handwriting, we are at the end of a long descent.

19. Violinist

Violinist Well-Known Member

Education has nothing to do with it. My dad reached a very high level of education and his handwriting might as well be Celtic runes. I've inherited this...

His writing is extremely neat and has a certain flair, but it is hard to read nonetheless. My mother's is exquisite. My brother and I, however, have horrifying handwriting.

As for aesthetics, I know several incredible musicians with long successful careers who have horrid hand writing.

20. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

You're not implying that your mother visits StyleForum, are you?[​IMG]

I don't so, but I'm covering my bases [​IMG]