• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have been to lanvin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(naturlaut @ 20 July 2004, 7:29) Too lazy to do google, but who owns Lanvin now? Â I stopped by their store some time ago, and it doesn't look LVMH.
I believe it is an independent company. Their women's wear by Alber Elbaz, formerly of YSL fame, has been very well received.
Lanvin is at 90% for men Women clothes are fashioned very overpriced garment nobody wears in the street (800 euros for a simple coton pant&#33
wink.gif

naturlaut

Reaction score
(naturlaut @ 20 July 2004, 7:29) Too lazy to do google, but who owns Lanvin now? Â I stopped by their store some time ago, and it doesn't look LVMH.
Use your brain and not google... You know fabrics, brand and I can tell you theses suits are all 100% machine stitched (the lowest prices of Lanvin)
Er... ernest, I was not inquiring about their suit construction.... I wanted to know who owns it because it does not have a very big name in US and I wonder why, as it is a long-established brand. Another similar case would be Loewe, who also has a store in Hong Kong. Loewe belongs to LVMH, hence I go there just to look at the StefanoBi goodyear shoes.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(ernest @ 20 July 2004, 10:32)
Originally Posted by naturlaut,20 July 2004, 7:29
Too lazy to do google, but who owns Lanvin now? Â I stopped by their store some time ago, and it doesn't look LVMH.
Use your brain and not google... You know fabrics, brand and I can tell you theses suits are all 100% machine stitched (the lowest prices of Lanvin)
Er... ernest, I was not inquiring about their suit construction.... I wanted to know who owns it because it does not have a very big name in US and I wonder why, as it is a long-established brand. Â Another similar case would be Loewe, who also has a store in Hong Kong. Â Loewe belongs to LVMH, hence I go there just to look at the StefanoBi goodyear shoes.
Loewe has some beautiful leather items. It had Narciso Rodriguez at one point I believe. Also Nina Ricci tends to be less known in the US.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know who owns it because it does not have a very big name in US and I wonder why, as it is a long-established brand.  Another similar case would be Loewe, who also has a store in Hong Kong.  Loewe belongs to LVMH, hence I go there just to look at the StefanoBi goodyear shoes.
It has been purchased by an hong kong firm owned by Japanese banks.

Lanvin is one of the best french brand for suits, ties and shirts.

Better than YSL or Dior for exemple.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ 20 July 2004, 10:32)
Originally Posted by naturlaut,20 July 2004, 7:29
Too lazy to do google, but who owns Lanvin now? Â I stopped by their store some time ago, and it doesn't look LVMH.
Er... ernest, I was not inquiring about their suit construction.... I wanted to know who owns it because it does not have a very big name in US and I wonder why, as it is a long-established brand. Â Another similar case would be Loewe, who also has a store in Hong Kong. Â Loewe belongs to LVMH, hence I go there just to look at the StefanoBi goodyear shoes.
You do not need to know who owns a brand to price a product. I think fabrics and construction are more usefull.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(naturlaut @ 20 July 2004, 7:38) I wanted to know who owns it because it does not have a very big name in US and I wonder why, as it is a long-established brand. Â Another similar case would be Loewe, who also has a store in Hong Kong. Â Loewe belongs to LVMH, hence I go there just to look at the StefanoBi goodyear shoes.
It has been purchased by an hong kong firm owned by Japanese banks. Lanvin is one of the best french brand for suits, Â ties and shirts. Better than YSL or Dior for exemple.
How about Arnys, and Charvet?

naturlaut

Reaction score
Lanvin is one of the best french brand for suits,  ties and shirts.

Better than YSL or Dior for exemple.
How about Arnys, and Charvet?[/quote]
I think he is refering to designer brands. I wouldn't know how to compare them, so I will take his words for it.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look, it is obvious that Kalra and Ernest like taking jabs at one another. I for one think it is an overstatement to say they are ruining this board.

To another's comment earlier, I think it is entirely appropriate to say "stop" to someone whose interest in clothes may or may not be leading to total financial ruin. I for one think that even Ernest deserves our respect to the extent that we can open our mouths when he might be making unwise purchases.

Ernest, by no means am I trying to be paternalistic, but it seems like perhaps you post about your purchases because you want us to tell you to return them -- you are one of the only ones that constantly tells about what seems like each and every purchase you make.

Do I think that "looking into the future" is good? YES. I myself am buying suits/shoes during sale season knowing I will be needing them in the next 6 months or so. But you are looking into the future almost indefinitely. And in that time you may changes sizes, you may change styles, you may have financial committments that you right now cannot foresee. Would it not be madness to buy clothes for 50 years in the future? I'm sure it would, and I really don't know what the distinction with your purchases are, because you can't know exactly how far into the future you are looking.

I'd say that maybe the 120s full canvas suits were $500, and the 150s $650? Is that about right? If this is a "great buy" to you, then you currently have about $10,000 of unused suits sitting in your closet. You have upwards of 35 H & K shirts. That seems very excessive to me for someone in your situation, but in the end it is your money and time.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ 20 July 2004, 7:45)
Originally Posted by naturlaut,20 July 2004, 7:38
I wanted to know who owns it because it does not have a very big name in US and I wonder why, as it is a long-established brand. Â Another similar case would be Loewe, who also has a store in Hong Kong. Â Loewe belongs to LVMH, hence I go there just to look at the StefanoBi goodyear shoes.
It has been purchased by an hong kong firm owned by Japanese banks. Lanvin is one of the best french brand for suits, Â ties and shirts. Better than YSL or Dior for exemple.
How about Arnys, and Charvet?
Arny and Charvet are not very famous, very few people know them in France. Lanvin is as famous as DIOR in France. I said ONE of...

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do I think that "looking into the future" is good?  YES.  I myself am buying suits/shoes during sale season knowing I will be needing them in the next 6 months or so.  But you are looking into the future almost indefinitely.  And in that time you may changes sizes, you may change styles, you may have financial committments that you right now cannot foresee.  Would it not be madness to buy clothes for 50 years in the future
I'd say that maybe the 120s full canvas suits were $500, and the 150s $650?  Is that about right?  If this is a "great buy" to you, then you currently have about $10,000 of unused suits sitting in your closet.  You have upwards of 35 H & K shirts.  That seems very excessive to me for someone in your situation, but in the end it is your money and time.
To another's comment earlier, I think it is entirely appropriate to say "stop" to someone whose interest in clothes may or may not be leading to total financial ruin. I for one think that even Ernest deserves our respect to the extent that we can open our mouths when he might be making unwise purchases.
Ernest, by no means am I trying to be paternalistic, but it seems like perhaps you post about your purchases because you want us to tell you to return them
You are wrong, I post to
1) have your opinion on my purchase, not on my financial situation
2) show you how smart I am because I make great bargains all the time

Do I think that "looking into the future" is good? YES. I myself am buying suits/shoes during sale season knowing I will be needing them in the next 6 months or so. But you are looking into the future almost indefinitely. And in that time you may changes sizes, you may change styles, you may have financial committments that you right now cannot foresee. Would it not be madness to buy clothes for 50 years in the future
What's why I need so much suits. I have different fitting depending of my weight and I can have no money in x years but still need suits.
I think 14 suits is not a very distance future...

I'd say that maybe the 120s full canvas suits were $500, and the 150s $650? Is that about right? If this is a "great buy" to you, then you currently have about $10,000 of unused suits sitting in your closet.

I seems you have a wrong idea of the price of a full conavas suit from a famous brand. For exemple, my simple wool fused is @ 800 euros (retail price)...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ernest,21 July 2004, 01:49
Originally Posted by kalra2411,20 July 2004, 5:47
Originally Posted by ernest,21 July 2004, 01:46
Originally Posted by kalra2411,20 July 2004, 5:45
Originally Posted by ernest,21 July 2004, 01:45
Originally Posted by kalra2411,20 July 2004, 5:36
Nice suits, too bad you have ugly watches.
My Cartier is ugly?

No, you have one nice watch.

How many do you have?

I preffer not to say, but 26 if you are asking.

Please write a thread where you could show us your 6 favorite.

Okay I will do when I get home, but for now: 1. The Cartier I posted, which you laughed at. 2. Franck Muller Conquistador Yellow Gold with Yellow Gold Strap and Diamonds. 3. Vacheron Malte Dual Time Regulator 4. Patek Phillipe 5037-1J 5. Audermars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore 6. Bvlgari Rettangolo (the horror, to all you movement fans)
Not to overtly branch out from the topic, but Franck Muller is in dire trouble...I wonder how long before the brand disappears, plus those rumors of movements made in Eastern Europe / Russia seems to have some substantial claims. But, the actual watchcases are interesting...especially the round watches FM used to make in the mid 90's were interesting to say the least. The AP RO Offshore (I will assume the chronograph) is a massive watch. I have the "˜regular' AP RO Chronograph (40mm, F. Piguet movement) and that's almost too big. Could be worse, it could be the AP RO Offshore T3. Jon.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have upwards of 35 H & K shirts.  That seems very excessive to me for someone in your situation, but in the end it is your money and time.
I must admit my 14 pairs of braces or cufflinks are useless and that I have the double of what I need.

Nevertheless, I really think 14 suits is usefull and normal because my first 8 suits were used @ 70% after only 2.5 years of wearing.

14 suits can only last about 4/5 years, not 15 years.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(kalra2411 @ 20 July 2004, 8:57)
Originally Posted by ernest,21 July 2004, 01:49
Originally Posted by kalra2411,20 July 2004, 5:47
Originally Posted by ernest,21 July 2004, 01:46
Originally Posted by kalra2411,20 July 2004, 5:45
Originally Posted by ernest,21 July 2004, 01:45
Originally Posted by kalra2411,20 July 2004, 5:36
Nice suits, too bad you have ugly watches.
My Cartier is ugly?

No, you have one nice watch.

How many do you have?

I preffer not to say, but 26 if you are asking.

Please write a thread where you could show us your 6 favorite.

Okay I will do when I get home, but for now: 1. The Cartier I posted, which you laughed at. 2. Franck Muller Conquistador Yellow Gold with Yellow Gold Strap and Diamonds. 3. Vacheron Malte Dual Time Regulator 4. Patek Phillipe 5037-1J 5. Audermars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore 6. Bvlgari Rettangolo (the horror, to all you movement fans)
Not to overtly branch out from the topic, but Franck Muller is in dire trouble...I wonder how long before the brand disappears, plus those rumors of movements made in Eastern Europe / Russia seems to have some substantial claims. But, the actual watchcases are interesting...especially the round watches FM used to make in the mid 90's were interesting to say the least. The AP RO Offshore (I will assume the chronograph) is a massive watch. I have the "˜regular' AP RO Chronograph (40mm, F. Piguet movement) and that's almost too big. Could be worse, it could be the AP RO Offshore T3. Jon.
There are rumors that the movements are by Poljot, and that Franck Muller's former business partner is part of the Armenian mob. Franck Muller is now suing him apparently from France. Note that some of current ads for Muller lack the "Swiss Made."

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One question, ernest: Aren't you currently unemployed? If so, then why all the shirts and suits?

SwaG

Reaction score
HIJACK.

congratulations on your 500th post Alias.

as for ernest, you might want to look into getting a suit with that fine fabric your lanvins were resting on. . .just magnificent. Maybe Kalra can get you some authentic hides for a good price. Will match nicely with an indian gold watch.

As for having too many suits...as long as you have the closet space and enough money left to take girls out...more power to you.

best,
IG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads