1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I have been to lanvin...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ernest, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

What is the use to have 26 watches?

More you have got and less is the pleasure you have when you buy a new one...so after 10 watches it is like buying a new tie.

2. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

How much do you think these suits can cost?

3. kalra2411

kalra2411 Well-Known Member

I suppose, but once sombody has noticed it, you end up hearing sly comments like, oh look at that miser, all that money and he is still wearing the same watch.

4. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

(ernest @ 21 July 2004, 02:03) What is the use to have 26 watches? More you have got and less is the pleasure you have when you buy a new one...so after 10 watches it is like buying a new tie.
    I suppose, but once sombody has noticed it, you end up hearing sly comments like, oh look at that miser, all that money and he is still wearing the same watch.
    I do not understand

5. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

(ernest @ 21 July 2004, 02:03) What is the use to have 26 watches? More you have got and less is the pleasure you have when you buy a new one...so after 10 watches it is like buying a new tie.
    1) Do you always do things because of what others would say? 2) I think after 10 watches nobody will say your wear the same watch...

6. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

(LA Guy @ 20 July 2004, 5:35) Like the color of the first and the texture of the second. Â Ernest, if you are unemployed and living at home (with atrocious bedroom furnishings, by the way) how come you are spending a mint on tailored clothing? Â And how can you?
    Ernest has answered this before -- he hates to travel and does not have to pay rent. Â Seriously though, Ernest. Â I think LA Guy may have a good point here; you may be spending a bit much for your age/income bracket. Â You seem to have quite a large collection as it is, and a pretty darn good one at that it seems. Â This board shouldn't be a pissing contest. Â There is nothing wrong with spending a lot on things you enjoy, provided you are making wise purchases. Â You may want to consider putting some money in the bank if you don't have a regular income.
    How much do you think these suits can cost?

7. kalra2411

(kalra2411 @ 20 July 2004, 6:08)
    What is the use to have 26 watches? More you have got and less is the pleasure you have when you buy a new one...so after 10 watches it is like buying a new tie.
    1) Do you always do things because of what others would say? 2) I think after 10 watches nobody will say your wear the same watch...
    1. That is the problem with being me. 2. Trust me, the people I know, they do notice.

8. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

(ernest @ 21 July 2004, 02:12)
    What is the use to have 26 watches? More you have got and less is the pleasure you have when you buy a new one...so after 10 watches it is like buying a new tie.

1. That is the problem with being me. 2. Trust me, the people I know, they do notice.
    1) sad to see a person who have so few self confidence. 2) if they know you have enough money to buy a watch and ask you why do you wear the same watch when you have 10 watches that means they are stupid and/or have more less self confidence than you have.

9. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Well-Known Member

Ernest, I think that 14 new suits and 6 used suits (does that mean that you have 14 untailored suits in your closet, or does that mean that you purchased 6 of your suits in used condition) is A LOT for someone your age who is not employed at a job where he needs to wear a suit every day. I'd in fact say that you probably have at least double the amount of everything that you need -- this includes shirts, cashmere sweaters, suits, and ties. At this point, it is extremely odd in my opinion for you to have such a large collection of these things. No offense, but if you have 14 brand new suits in your closet and have not worn even one of them, this is a sign that you have too many.

10. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

You two are single handedly ruining this board.

Why people come here to act like children every day is beyond me.

11. Mike C.

Mike C. Well-Known Member

Kalra is 16, so I guess he is a child. How old is ernest again?

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's just that some people really like suits.

Why is it that all the arguements center around watches or the concept of taste/class?

Were the Lanvin's on sale?

13. naturlaut

naturlaut Well-Known Member

This is absolutely not personal, as I have found recent posts with/of Mr. Kalra ridiculously childish (which is fine) and in no way relevant to the forum (which is not fine). The board seems to be much more civilized when I first joined. But, Ernest, I absolutely agree to every word you said... Most of us here have an obsession for clothes and seek this board as a support group --- and for a change we see a person who is obsessively insecure. I guess that's one thing money cannot buy. I am no where near having $billion, as such I cannot comprehend the life style of a billionaire; but through my silent reading of your posts I have now come to understand the psychology of people of your statue. Your words, if nothing else, are quite valueable for a study into the minds of the money-is-no-object population --- things that you cannot see on TV or magazines. Thracozaag: [​IMG] A man walked into Birroni store and said "I want to look at Donald Trump". We should have asked David for a description of that guy. [​IMG]

14. kalra2411

(ernest @ 20 July 2004, 9:34) 1) sad to see a person who have so few self confidence. 2) if they know you have enough money to buy a watch and ask you why do you wear the same watch when you have 10 watches that means they are stupid and/or have more less self confidence than you have.
    This is absolutely not personal, as I have found recent posts with/of Mr. Kalra ridiculously childish (which is fine) and in no way relevant to the forum (which is not fine). Â The board seems to be much more civilized when I first joined. Â But, Ernest, I absolutely agree to every word you said... Â Most of us here have an obsession for clothes and seek this board as a support group --- and for a change we see a person who is obsessively insecure. Â I guess that's one thing money cannot buy. Â I am no where near having $billion, as such I cannot comprehend the life style of a billionaire; but through my silent reading of your posts I have now come to understand the psychology of people of your statue. Â Your words, if nothing else, are quite valueable for a study into the minds of the money-is-no-object population --- things that you cannot see on TV or magazines. Â Thracozaag: Â [​IMG] A man walked into Birroni store and said "I want to look at Donald Trump". Â We should have asked David for a description of that guy. Â [​IMG]
    I am very interested to hear more about what you have learnt, please tell me perhaps it would be better by private message, as the members of the board get quite annoyed.

15. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

I have 20 suits, 14 new + 6 used (soon dead)

I do not need them, for THE MOMENT...

What do you propose ? Buying nothing because I do not work for the moment but buying 5 suits when I will need them a the double price and get them used very quickly because I wear them often?

Sorry, I prefer making a bargain when I can it because it may not be here when I will need it in x mounths.

One calls this : "to project in the future"

Is there an age to have more than 5 suits? I think interest in clothing is going less important when you already have had many suits in your life @ 40 years...

16. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

Of course. Do you think I am stupid?

17. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member

This is great. I think that ernest and kalra should start their own board. I love it.

-Tom

18. Classic

Classic Well-Known Member

Oh no.
    Here we go again.
    Is it not possible to stick to the topic at hand, provide your opinion, but stay away from personal attacks, and get on with it?
    Let us be civilized, respect each other's opinion, and use the forum for what it was intended to be.

Classic

19. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

(LabelKing @ 20 July 2004, 7:02) Were the Lanvin's on sale?
    Of course. Do you think I am stupid?
    Spending 5 000 euros in suits at retail price is stupid Doing it when you do not work and do not need them straight away is madness

20. kalra2411

What more can I do, I ignored ernest's comment. Also,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.