1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. CFowler2790

CFowler2790 Active Member

Edit: double post

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

So what made you go the olive resin route in that case? It doesn't make any sense.

Not all resins react the same. There's no way of knowing how the fabric will break in without knowing just how these jeans were treated. Some resins act as an overdye that breaks down in time, like scratching off the top coat of paint, resins can "set" the color of the jeans to preserve a specific look, or they can be light enough to simply come off after the first wash or two. There's really no way of knowing with what you have unless someone has tried it with that specific pair first or if r&b has treated samples (which is likely) in the past.

There are several shops around Houston. Mortar is an affiliate here.

3. CFowler2790

CFowler2790 Active Member

Dumb lazy sales people. They didn't have any NF my size so I asked what other brands of raw they had in a slim or tapered fit and he pointed over and said all those rag and bone are raw. So I found the ones in slim my size they fit nice and snug. Got them home and was ready to soak and everything and stopped to look what people did for mine and found out they were olive resin. The type writingg on tag was hard to read. Dumb mistake on my part. Guess I'll return them and stop by mortar. Any other shops? Noobie mistakes, live and learn!

4. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

3Sixteen probably good.

5. oilpit

oilpit Well-Known Member

Anyone know if it's still possible to kop the Nudie Waxed Thin Finns? They came out a couple years back, I imagine they are probably all gone, but you never know with Nudie, it seems they have 1243573453134 variations of every cut at any given time.

Alternatively, is there any other waxed denim out there that has the leathery sheen that Nudies or Diors have?

6. ceoceo

ceoceo Well-Known Member

are you talking about TF DBC? Go to Blue Owl :slayer:

7. oilpit

oilpit Well-Known Member

8. oilpit

oilpit Well-Known Member

You get an A+ in being awesome...

THANK YOU

9. ceoceo

ceoceo Well-Known Member

^ Please post pics and review. Also interested in getting a pair.

10. whodini

They're decent jeans, especially at that price. The designer is a forum member.

11. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

They look really great. How can they only be $99?

12. Namelesshan

Namelesshan Well-Known Member

Newbie to the denim ... does anyone know about the quality of howe selvedge jeans?... i believe its called live in japanese denim made in USA..
    thank you...

13. Namelesshan

Newbie to the denim ... does anyone know about the quality of howe selvedge jeans?... i believe its called live in japanese denim made in USA..
    thank you...

14. whodini

Overpriced, more than likely. Not sure why anyone would want to trust a brand that doesn't any sort of "respectable" pedigree (ie, A&F offering selvage jeans.)

15. Namelesshan

thank you... whodini...i asked because it was a present and she doesn't know much about denim either...thanks for the response ..

16. reedobandito

reedobandito Well-Known Member

Looking for my first pair of black jeans, preferably raw but I'm open. Skinny cut, selvedge, all the goodies. APC, N&F...Any others? Looking to spend around $100 on sale, can wait it out for a bit

Edit: If anyone wants to sell me a pair with roughly a 30" waist and 7" hem, I'm all ears...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  17. Samir

Samir Well-Known Member

Thanks for y'all's help. So let's say I ignore how much the jeans may fade after use - is the price difference between Levi's and the popular jeans here attributed mostly to the quality of dye? Or is it the fit? I would think comfort and durability would be factors but it seems like a lot of people mention how stiff their jeans start out, crotch blowout, etc.

18. whodini

[youtube]XIX0ZDqDljA[/youtube]
    There aren't that many pairs of black selvage jeans to begin with. The only brand you missed that you could possibly ever find ~$100 like that (used) is 3sixteen; otherwise, you're looking at less-frequently found pairs from over the past couple of years like Uniqlo, KZO, NDG, etc.
    Not the best example but something to think about. Just like anything else, expensive jeans are a sum of their parts. Is a Ferrari expensive because it accelerates quickly? : http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...tml#project=JEANS0711&articleTabs=interactive

19. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

RRL makes awesome black jeans. PM'd you, reedo.

1 person likes this.