1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Well-Known Member

My actual waist measures 29.5 how would i go about in sizing for Nudie Thin Finn ORGANIC DRY ECRU EMBO?? Would 30 waist be too big/small?

2. HarrisonK

HarrisonK Well-Known Member

Can you recommend how to get around that then? Should I cuff up the jeans?

3. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

Over time, if you keep putting them over the top (or if you force it by hand) it'll stretch out a bit to accommodate. If it fits your style, you could also cuff to a cropped length and be all trendy or whatever.

4. tightandbright

tightandbright Well-Known Member

I think it depends how low you wear your jeans. If you're going to sag them below your waist, then I think you're fine with size 30. If you're going to wear them a little higher, then you can size down cause it'll stretch (2% elastane/lycra/spandex). It might be a little uncomfortable, but it'll defs stretch out!
    But don't take my word for it, cause I have two pairs of sz 26 Thin Finns (dry black coated and dry stretch) and they fit really differently. The dry black coated is tighter around the hips, thighs, and knees... All I can say is, Nudie jeans (like all other brands) are fucking inconsistent with sizing, I think it's best to try them on before you buy 'em. If you can't try them on for whatever reason, then you gotta take a chance and hope for the best :D.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  5. biggerliz

biggerliz Member

recommendations for nice dry tapered denim?

i have the naked and famous slimguy and weirdguy, and would like a taper in between. the slimguy is a 8.5" opening, and the weirdguy is a 7.5" opening. i have looked at other brands, but even "slight" tapers such as APC, are still around 7.5" or less. Are there any brands out there that carry leg openings around 7.75-8.25" leg openings? basically the smallest of tapers?

6. RicPac

RicPac Well-Known Member

I have a pair of twill jeans, what is the best way to wash them? same as denim?

7. abcdenim

abcdenim Well-Known Member

Go with the best way, wash inside out with cold water and then a good hang dry out in the sun and you should be all good!

8. HarrisonK

HarrisonK Well-Known Member

APC petite standard, 6.25" leg opening on the smaller sizes.

9. hoozah

hoozah Well-Known Member

quick q: what's the conversion between us to the robert geller size in pants? i don't know what he sizes his jeans in (44,46,48,50,52). i take a 32 waist in american sizes.

10. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

That's standard EU clothing sizes. 48 if it fits true

11. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

What waist size are you? What is your price range?

12. effang

effang Well-Known Member

Any raw denim that has electric blue fading? I see that flathead jeans will have some electric blue fading, anything else? and what is creating this color? the dye? the denim?

13. Gauss17

Gauss17 Well-Known Member

As many know, some "nicer"/designer brand jeans come with creasing on the pockets. Is there a good way to remove these creases to get a more crisp look? I have read ironing and a water/vinegar mix. Anyone verify this?

14. vaalbara

vaalbara Well-Known Member

That is the exact opposite of what he's asking - he's asking for jeans that only taper slightly, to between a 7.5 and 8.5 leg opening.

Also, wat at the people calling 12oz N&F jeans "thick"

15. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Well-Known Member

IMO, jeans should never restrict your movement. Thighs do not stretch that much.

16. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

You can scroll through the gallery in the "Post pics of denim" thread and see what works for you. Different brands/factories use different blends of different kinds of indigo, thus allowing for a variety of different shades of blue.
    Ironing and starch would help, as would wear and washing. I have my doubts about vinegar but feel free to try it on some test fabric first.

17. blynch

blynch Well-Known Member

mlyngard gave me a few great recs for roomier thigh jeans with a decent taper, with the Skull 5507 and Warehouse 660 being two great choices. http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thr...ginners-ask-questions-here/10185#post_3203787 I have the Skull 5507 with have plenty of room in the thighs, but are fairly slim in the top block which I think would work well for you as well. The Warehouse 660 are a pretty similar cut and might be the better choice as some stores (selfedge I believe) have even stopped carrying skull due to recent quality control issues. -btw those weird guys might loosen up enough and with a little sag be acceptable, but I personally prefer to just start a little looser in the thighs. I have definitely had to resell jeans before hoping they would stretch and not getting enough room in the thighs.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  18. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

Pretty much any indigo-dyed dark raw denim will fade to electric blue before it fades to white. That color is just a stage in the progression of fading.

19. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

True. That said, the N&F deep indigo gets some nice electric blue along the way.

20. CDHagg

CDHagg Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a pair of dark slim/skinny jeans, and they need to be sort of dressy and refined. Not the kind of slouchy ill-fitting skinny jeans that teens wear a foot below their waists. Perhaps a dark dark blue wash, or a faded black wash... the kind of jeans that you could pair with Gucci loafers and a dress shirt/tie. Any suggestions?

-CD

P.S. Seen the movie "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps"? Shia Labeouf's skinny jeans in that movie exemplify what I'm looking for.