1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. tomee

tomee Well-Known Member

newb question but how high do you have your jeans cut?
    or is it personal preference?

2. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

How many of you folks have black jeans?

I've been thinking about it for a while, but I can't see it being too versatile at all.

3. dan138zig

dan138zig Well-Known Member

is it really hard to get the stacks to settle on 12.5 oz jeans? the leg opening is 7" and the inseam is 34" by the way.

4. abcdenim

abcdenim Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about it for a while, but I can't see it being too versatile at all.

i do, just to switch it up once in a while yenno.. whats your denim rotation like? do you just have 1 pair you wear hardcore?

5. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

Sure. Got a pair of black Ande Whall Grifters and a pair of Uniqlo MIJ S002s. Not sure what you wear other than an obscene number of ToJ jackets :)jealous[​IMG], but I'd think they'd go fine with a leather jacket and a t-shirt, boots or sneakers.

is it really hard to get the stacks to settle on 12.5 oz jeans? the leg opening is 7" and the inseam is 34" by the way.

Nah. Wear them for a week or two and they'll settle fine. It takes longer if the denim is particularly starchy. Jeans with a hem that size should stack pretty well.

Also, a 34" inseam is only significant relative to your own inseam measurement. 34" would get me a couple of breaks but not much stacking, while someone shorter might end up with mad stax with the same inseam length.

6. dan138zig

dan138zig Well-Known Member

Nah. Wear them for a week or two and they'll settle fine. It takes longer if the denim is particularly starchy. Jeans with a hem that size should stack pretty well.

the case is, I've been wearing my jeans for 2 months and the stacks are still a bit flary. I want pancake-like stacks like the guys here.

Also, a 34" inseam is only significant relative to your own inseam measurement. 34" would get me a couple of breaks but not much stacking, while someone shorter might end up with mad stax with the same inseam length.

ah of course. silly me.

7. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

newb question but how high do you have your jeans cut? or is it personal preference?
    It's personal preference, but it depends in part on your build as well. Higher rises tend to look better on people with shorter legs, lower rises generally look better on people with longer legs.
    How many of you folks have black jeans? I've been thinking about it for a while, but I can't see it being too versatile at all.
    I have a few pairs, and although I prefer the look of indigo, I'm pretty comfortable wearing a black jean in any situation that I can wear an indigo jean as well.
    Shouldn't be too difficult, especially with a leg opening that small. Just takes some time.

8. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

i do, just to switch it up once in a while yenno.. whats your denim rotation like? do you just have 1 pair you wear hardcore?

I bought one more pair yesterday so now I have 2. Both are dark blue. I have a pair of Nudie that I wear with t shirts usually. I bought a pair of dark blue APC yesterday to be worn when I need to tuck in shirts.

I can only wear jeans 2 days max a week because I work in an office setting.

I'm not the biggest jean enthusiast out there as I like to mix in other kind of pants ie cords and slacks.

9. linkinwayne

linkinwayne Well-Known Member

I've a pair in black wax but the rest of my jeans are mostly really dark indigo anyway. I'd say all raw jeans have about the same amount of versatility. Except you can't really wear navy/blue footwear with the black jeans, I guess

10. porschemad911

porschemad911 Well-Known Member

People have traditionally had the most success sizing down 2 from their true waist size on the APC NS. So if your true waist is 32", you'd probably be best off with a tag size 30 on the NS if you don't want it to look painted on you.

Though if you have muscular thighs, APC's Rescue may be a better cut on you. I would size down 2 or 3 on that cut, but not more than that if you don't want it to look painted on you as well.

I'm a true 32" waist as well, don't recommend getting a size 30. Ended up way too loose in the waist, pretty baggy overall. I'd recommend a 29.

11. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

I'm a true 32" waist as well, don't recommend getting a size 30. Ended up way too loose in the waist, pretty baggy overall. I'd recommend a 29.
    Unless you have skinny thighs, though, you have to be careful about sizing down that much. The waist will indeed fit a bit better after stretching if you size down 3 in that cut, but for people with muscular thighs, like the OP I was replying to, the thighs will look painted on. Sizing down 2 seems to work better with people who aren't skinny. If you have muscular thighs and want to size down 3 to get a better fit in the waist, you may have to do it with the Rescue, not the NS.

12. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Just curious to know if APC jeans will become less stiff with more wears. Right after I bought my NS from Barneys, I dropped them off at my tailor for a hem job. I picked them up today and she said what's wrong with your jeans...they're very stiff, haha.

I seriously hope they don't stretch (much if at all). The fit right now is perfect. If I size down 1, it becomes legging more or less.

13. abcdenim

Just curious to know if APC jeans will become less stiff with more wears. Right after I bought my NS from Barneys, I dropped them off at my tailor for a hem job. I picked them up today and she said what's wrong with your jeans...they're very stiff, haha.

I seriously hope they don't stretch (much if at all). The fit right now is perfect. If I size down 1, it becomes legging more or less.

saw your question got answered in the other thread, but for others yeah as you wear and wash your jeans you lose some of the rigidity along the way and they stretch (depending on brand) a lot. And when you wash it and hang dry it a lot of that comes back, and they will shrink a little, but then with more wear they break in again. For NS you should try sizing down 2-3.. it's pretty uncomfortable for the first bit, but after a week or so of wear they break in and are a lot more comfortable. if you don't size down, you'll find that in a little while they'll be a little too big. Good luck with yours tho, i saw that you were wanting to get another pair so keep in consideration that a lot of stretching does occur!

14. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

saw your question got answered in the other thread, but for others yeah as you wear and wash your jeans you lose some of the rigidity along the way and they stretch (depending on brand) a lot. And when you wash it and hang dry it a lot of that comes back, and they will shrink a little, but then with more wear they break in again. For NS you should try sizing down 2-3.. it's pretty uncomfortable for the first bit, but after a week or so of wear they break in and are a lot more comfortable. if you don't size down, you'll find that in a little while they'll be a little too big. Good luck with yours tho, i saw that you were wanting to get another pair so keep in consideration that a lot of stretching does occur!
    Thanks, man.

Will try some more tomorrow. If I size down, I will try to wear as much as I can to really see how much they will stretch out of curiosity.

15. tightandbright

tightandbright Well-Known Member

Bleh... I kind of regret buying Nudie jeans. I have an odd feeling that it won't last very long, could someone recommend another brand with similar fits as Slim Jim please?

16. abcdenim

Bleh... I kind of regret buying Nudie jeans. I have an odd feeling that it won't last very long, could someone recommend another brand with similar fits as Slim Jim please?

try the skinnyguy fit from naked and famous. quality selvedge raw japanese denim made by the hands of canadians, good shit!

17. linkinwayne

[​IMG]

still trollin, i see

18. linkinwayne

holy fucking newsflash

19. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

APC NS is very similar. I laid the two on top of one another and the APC NS (that is not worn yet) was nearly identical to the Slim Jims (that have been worn probably about 20-30 times now). Both are in the same size as well. The price is around the same bracket as the Slim Jim's too.

I tried on the PS and it seems that the fit is similar to the NS except the leg openings are extremely small.

20. parc

parc Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I can purchase a pair of Naked and Famous online in Canada?