1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whatever123

whatever123 Well-Known Member

Thanks Oh,, forgot to mention that. They're just 501 stfs. I soaked them in hot water while wearing them on the first day.. Wish I could buy some better stuff next time [​IMG]
    lol ... and i thought they were fh's. nice! the arcs in the pic look like the fh's to me for some reason .. but its a blurry pic!

2. oilofdog

oilofdog Member

Any opinions on the quality of Thom Browne selvedge? Deeply discounted at the Co-Op near me (~$100).

3. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Well-Known Member

I read quite a bit on 501 vintage crap but I go to school and dont have much money and want a pair of raw denim quick so was thinking of getting

http://cgi.ebay.com/Levis-501-Mens-J...14044411165834

any problem with that in terms of seller etc? i have read negative feedback

My true measurements are 29 waist and about 30 inseam. I want to wear these without washing them at first and try to get it to fade etc i dont know if this is such a good idea as from what i know it will stretch anyway.

How can i get the slimmest fit out of these? Much like APC NS/NC or 1947/66 LVC 501?

What size should i get and how should i care for it to get it like those denimz or nearly like that. Like how should i get it to shrink the most or not wash at first at all and wear it stiff till it softens up?

Sorry for huge post [​IMG]

Thanks for reading if you do anyways.

4. Astronaut888

Astronaut888 Well-Known Member

I read quite a bit on 501 vintage crap but I go to school and dont have much money and want a pair of raw denim quick so was thinking of getting

http://cgi.ebay.com/Levis-501-Mens-J...14044411165834

any problem with that in terms of seller etc? i have read negative feedback

My true measurements are 29 waist and about 30 inseam. I want to wear these without washing them at first and try to get it to fade etc i dont know if this is such a good idea as from what i know it will stretch anyway.

How can i get the slimmest fit out of these? Much like APC NS/NC or 1947/66 LVC 501?

What size should i get and how should i care for it to get it like those denimz or nearly like that. Like how should i get it to shrink the most or not wash at first at all and wear it stiff till it softens up?

Sorry for huge post [​IMG]

Thanks for reading if you do anyways.

brother.........have you not checked zappos?
    don't bother w/ ebay for stfs

5. entrero

entrero Well-Known Member

The inseam is too short buddy. Seems you like a slim fit and could be possible with 501 if sized correctly. That means in your case a size 29x34. Soak and wear it till it dries. http://cgi.ebay.com/Levis-501-Classi...item7dba82f2bb This seller is quite responsive and his current batch are true to size. But it never hurts to ask again.

6. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Well-Known Member

brother.........have you not checked zappos? don't bother w/ ebay for stfs
    I am from Australia, i need cheap international shipping. Levi stuff is like stupidly expensive -_- levi 511 514 are like $150+ it so frustrating!
    The inseam is too short buddy. Seems you like a slim fit and could be possible with 501 if sized correctly. That means in your case a size 29x34. Soak and wear it till it dries. http://cgi.ebay.com/Levis-501-Classi...item7dba82f2bb This seller is quite responsive and his current batch are true to size. But it never hurts to ask again.
    so get true waist size and get longer inseam? How long soak? Do i have to wear it while it soaks? Hot/Cold soak? Will it make my bathtub blue LOL? EDIT: Would I have better luck getting 514 raw selvedge? http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories there isnt a size 29 but wb a 30 and shrink it? I know it isnt STF but wouldnt washing shrink it too?

7. entrero

1.so get true waist size and get longer inseam? yes 2.How long soak? Do i have to wear it while it soaks? Hot/Cold soak? 1 or 2 hours soak, as long it's thorougly wet. Hot/cold dependent on how tight the waist fits. Wear while it dries 3.Will it make my bathtub blue LOL? I heard stories...

8. shoppingshzhang

shoppingshzhang Well-Known Member

I am from Australia, i need cheap international shipping. Levi stuff is like stupidly expensive -_- levi 511 514 are like $150+ it so frustrating!

so get true waist size and get longer inseam?

How long soak? Do i have to wear it while it soaks? Hot/Cold soak?

Will it make my bathtub blue LOL?

EDIT: Would I have better luck getting 514 raw selvedge?

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

there isnt a size 29 but wb a 30 and shrink it? I know it isnt STF but wouldnt washing shrink it too?

Hey I just got my first pair of STFs too, my true size is 32 but i size down 2 to 30 waist, and inseam 32. I am 5' 10'' 165lbs.
    The fit pics are here http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...55144&page=893
    Hope is helps.
    I have some pre-shrunk pics too on my blog.
    Thanks

9. entrero

EDIT: Would I have better luck getting 514 raw selvedge?

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

there isnt a size 29 but wb a 30 and shrink it? I know it isnt STF but wouldnt washing shrink it too?

Those are not the popular 514s you're looking for. Besides it's not indigo either, so will be near impossible to fade.

10. gettheleadout

gettheleadout Member

1.so get true waist size and get longer inseam?
    yes
    2.How long soak? Do i have to wear it while it soaks? Hot/Cold soak?
    1 or 2 hours soak, as long it's thorougly wet. Hot/cold dependent on how tight the waist fits. Wear while it dries
    3.Will it make my bathtub blue LOL?
    I heard stories...

Soak immediately after buying? Or wear first? Just checking cause the reviews on Levi's website said some weird stuff...

11. dron

dron Well-Known Member

judging by your measurements, you're looking for a slim tapered low-rise jean. probably size 27 or 28 or something depending on the brand.
    (...)

thanks a bunch
    i sense you haven't seen the last noobish question from me yet...

i think i like the n&f weird guys a lot. i'm thinking about getting the 15oz variant. what size would you guys recommend for a slim/snug fit? i think i am a 30-31" true waist and usually wear size 29 in most brands.

thank you all.

12. islay

islay Well-Known Member

Hi

In BIG measurements, do they measure the tights from the crotch seam or the whole tight laying flat? it looks that way in the picture but I am not sure

Cheers.

13. urymoto

urymoto Well-Known Member

i pretty much realized that every jean i have is a 32...i want to buy a pair of nudies...will they run true to size? or are they a skinnier fit? (i have a big butt and quads....)
    thanks

14. ryank1331

ryank1331 Member

Hey guys!

Simple question for anyone....

Do all jeans stretch and get bigger? I am asking because I am going to be buying a pair of jeans and need to know for sizing issues.

Thanks.

15. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

Hi In BIG measurements, do they measure the tights from the crotch seam or the whole tight laying flat? it looks that way in the picture but I am not sure Cheers.
    They measure the thigh at the level of the crotch seam, but they measure the entire width of the thigh there parallel to the angle of the waist band.
    Hey guys! Simple question for anyone.... Do all jeans stretch and get bigger? I am asking because I am going to be buying a pair of jeans and need to know for sizing issues. Thanks.
    Pretty much. Some jeans stretch a lot less than others, but they all can stretch at least a little.

16. haspy

haspy Active Member

Quick Question: I was looking into buying the Unbranded Indigo Skinny 14.5oz Selvedge Jean from UO but I'm not too sure on the sizing? I am usually a 34/34 in skinnys. Do you think I should stay the same or go up in sizes? Thanks

17. shoppingshzhang

shoppingshzhang Well-Known Member

18. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Well-Known Member

Thoughts on Levis Kaihara Selvedge?

19. thewho13

thewho13 Well-Known Member

Has anyone else ever seen fading along the lines of the selvage in their jeans? I swear my jeans are beginning to fade vertically along the seams. Regardless, it seems (ha, sorry) like pretty weird shit.

20. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

Has anyone else ever seen fading along the lines of the selvage in their jeans? I swear my jeans are beginning to fade vertically along the seams. Regardless, it seems (ha, sorry) like pretty weird shit.

That's normal, I see it a lot. I've experienced it before, too, more so on pairs of jeans that I washed more.