1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whatever123

whatever123 Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a low rise raw denim?
    here are a couple 1. somet 003, 005 or if you want a slimmer cut do the 008 or 018. 2. momotaro 0701 or the 0705 (blue in green ed.). these are more of a mid/low though. 3. pure blue japan - any fit but the "relaxed" (my personal favorite). 4. skull 5010 if you want a LOW rise i would either do the somet or pbj. both fade well and construction is superb.

2. cowsareforeating

cowsareforeating Well-Known Member

pbj's have a pretty unique indigo color after soak/rinse after some wear... definitely recommend.

3. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

okay. size 34 it is. thanks.

and im trusting you on these. ive never owned sda denim (i do, however, own a couple looped crews) so im trusting your word! [​IMG]

TTS is what I've always done on any SD-103-based model of SDA, and I'm happy with the fit I get with that sizing. Unless you want your waist to be in pain for a long, long time, you'll be happy with the TTS as well.

4. whatever123

TTS is what I've always done on any SD-103-based model of SDA, and I'm happy with the fit I get with that sizing. Unless you want your waist to be in pain for a long, long time, you'll be happy with the TTS as well.

yeah. thanks.

5. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

I bought my first pair of dry denim, Nudie Slim Jims. The sz 30 that I bought is a tight fit, while a 31 would be the 'right fit off the bat'. I bought the sz 30 thinking that they will stretch out a bit and become a 31, was I right in the decision making?

6. jamf

jamf Member

I've seen people wearing dior jeans in the what are you wearing thread as well as others

They look beautiful stacked and have a nice taper to them.

Which dior jean would you recommend for a man 6'2 180 lbs lean? I don't want them painted on my ass like the last pair of naked and famous weirdguys I tried, but I would like a well fitting jean. I wear a 31 in naked and famous weirdguys. They fit pretty well, although I could easily wear a 32 as well.

Also, if you have any idea where I might buy them in Canada or online, I would appreciate recommendations. Thanks.

7. phaseshift

phaseshift Well-Known Member

do these jeans look too short?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mikecch

mikecch Well-Known Member

I reckon the half-inch cuff is a little superfluous - just wear them un-cuffed and it'll look alright.

9. phaseshift

I reckon the half-inch cuff is a little superfluous - just wear them un-cuffed and it'll look alright.
    should I wash them? They are 514s rigid, haven't washed them yet since I got them a couple days ago. I also got them hemmed to my 501 inseams of 30...if I wash it will it look better? They don't look nearly as good with the boots than my 501s

10. whatever123

I've seen people wearing dior jeans in the what are you wearing thread as well as others They look beautiful stacked and have a nice taper to them. Which dior jean would you recommend for a man 6'2 180 lbs lean? I don't want them painted on my ass like the last pair of naked and famous weirdguys I tried, but I would like a well fitting jean. I wear a 31 in naked and famous weirdguys. They fit pretty well, although I could easily wear a 32 as well. Also, if you have any idea where I might buy them in Canada or online, I would appreciate recommendations. Thanks.
    your best bet would be try them on at a dior store (there are many so you might want to do a google search). diors look best fitted imo. but they have a couple different cuts ... i think the main difference is in the tapper ...

11. cap10crunch

cap10crunch Member

I'm looking at getting a new pair of jeans. Either some pbj or a pair of flathead f310 or bsp. Which company should i go with? And what model pbj would be similar to those flatheads?

12. cowsareforeating

cowsareforeating Well-Known Member

the denim is pretty different:

pbj (most of their models) are more slubby and textured -- i would say about average fading time. comparable cuts would be the xx-11 and xx-13.. but it'd still be looser than the 310's i reckon.

flat heads are very quick fade, very high contrast smoother denim

13. whatever123

I'm looking at getting a new pair of jeans. Either some pbj or a pair of flathead f310 or bsp. Which company should i go with? And what model pbj would be similar to those flatheads?
    whichever one YOU prefer. if i were you i would get whichever had the fit and fading characteristic you prefer. i know nothing of fh's but i have had a couple pairs of pbjs over the years. what fit are you after? do you want a slim mid-rise slim low-rise, a slim mid/high-rise, a mid-rise straight, a low-rise straight, etc.?

14. mikecch

mikecch Well-Known Member

should I wash them? They are 514s rigid, haven't washed them yet since I got them a couple days ago. I also got them hemmed to my 501 inseams of 30...if I wash it will it look better? They don't look nearly as good with the boots than my 501s

Sorry mate, I don't know much about Levi's.
    Is the denim on the 514 unsanforised? If so, you should soak them for shrink-to-fit, but your inseam will shrink and become a bit short.
    I don't know whether it will look better - you can tell us that after you've tired [​IMG]

Always hem your jeans after you get the most of the shrinkage out.

15. phaseshift

Sorry mate, I don't know much about Levi's.
    Is the denim on the 514 unsanforised? If so, you should soak them for shrink-to-fit, but your inseam will shrink and become a bit short.
    I don't know whether it will look better - you can tell us that after you've tired [​IMG]

Always hem your jeans after you get the most of the shrinkage out.

I believe they are sanforized

16. commodorewheeler

do these jeans look too short?

They're pretty close to looking too short, but if you uncuff them, they should be OK.

I don't think they'll look any better if you wash them. In this case, I would actually recommend not washing them right now, because I don't think you have any room to spare for shrinkage on the inseam. If you do have to wash them in the future, do it cold on delicate cycle and hang dry them, that should minimize shrinkage to almost nothing.

17. phaseshift

They're pretty close to looking too short, but if you uncuff them, they should be OK. I don't think they'll look any better if you wash them. In this case, I would actually recommend not washing them right now, because I don't think you have any room to spare for shrinkage on the inseam. If you do have to wash them in the future, do it cold on delicate cycle and hang dry them, that should minimize shrinkage to almost nothing.
    that's what I'm thinking, even when I uncuff them they seem still too close to being short. I dont get it, I measured the inseam on my 501s they are 30 and they don't look like that at all in the picture, they look stacked with those boots. ANd the 514s in the picture are 30 inseam and they look short to me for some reason. Could it be the fabric? these are washed once I think, they feel firm but not raw firm. thinking of getting tapered thoughts?

18. commodorewheeler

that's what I'm thinking, even when I uncuff them they seem still too close to being short. I dont get it, I measured the inseam on my 501s they are 30 and they don't look like that at all in the picture, they look stacked with those boots. ANd the 514s in the picture are 30 inseam and they look short to me for some reason. Could it be the fabric? these are washed once I think, they feel firm but not raw firm. thinking of getting tapered thoughts?
    It's possible that the crotch rides lower on your 501s, which would cause the legs to come down further and seem longer. I doubt it has anything to do with the fabric at all. I would advise against tapering in this case. If your jeans are on the verge of being too short, they'll look better with a wider leg opening than a narrower one. Tapering is generally recommended if you are going to stack, which you definitely don't have enough length to do on this pair.

19. thoogsby

thoogsby Well-Known Member

What is this BiG sizing guideline I hear mentioned all the time?

20. commodorewheeler