1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. connor

connor Well-Known Member

2. reprehensible

reprehensible Well-Known Member

So the whole idea of "faded jeans are better overall" or "dark jeans are better overall" is false...and both have their own place in the wardrobe of everyone, right?

This has elements of correctness, but might be misleading. Someone somewhere is wearing a light wash and making it look good. Chances are, though, that the pair of stonewashed levis you're thinking of do not the fit the bill.

When it comes down to it, things that look good look good, and things that look bad look bad. It's not really about a set of rules.

3. aviddresser

aviddresser Member

This has elements of correctness, but might be misleading. Someone somewhere is wearing a light wash and making it look good. Chances are, though, that the pair of stonewashed levis you're thinking of do not the fit the bill.

When it comes down to it, things that look good look good, and things that look bad look bad. It's not really about a set of rules.

When you mentioned the "fit the bill" part, clarify what you meant. And act like I am 10 years old when you say it.

4. reprehensible

reprehensible Well-Known Member

When you mentioned the "fit the bill" part, clarify what you meant. And act like I am 10 years old when you say it.

There isn't a lot to explain. Lots of light washes look bad. There's no deeper secret to it.

The best thing you can do to understand it better is look at lots of pictures, and pay attention to the details, colors, cuts, etc.

5. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

WOW I never really noticed but yes, my left selvedge does twist. Why is it predominant on the left leg?
    Because most denim is a right-hand twill, meaning it's going to pull to the wearer's right. Higher tension in the denim when woven = more twist. Left-hand twill (very rare, people make a big deal about this....) goes the opposite way (so the outseam on the right leg is forward and back on the left leg) and broken twill (zig-zag) in theory shouldn't twist at all. Historically, this was just one more way to distinguish brands. Levi's used RHT (and that's probably why it's standard), Lee used LHT (and still does to this day on the high end [Japanese] Lees), and Wrangler used broken-twill.

6. mlyngard

mlyngard Well-Known Member

Ohhh man these definitely shrunk. My stomach is a bit tight. Also, are they supposed to be rougher than ever?
    A good example of why soaking is a good idea. It primes the denim. You want all that shit on you and your jeans for the next few moonths? Bad for denim too. That shrinkage will stretch out in the waist, and those jeans will soften very quickly to softer than they were new. Learn from this. Keep an eye on you jeans as they soak. If you see lots of indigo and starch coming off them like that, change the bath water and move the jeans around to get the brown water out from the legs. As for the brown starch staining, only more soaks in clean water will rid them of that, and the indigo stains will only come off with wear and some machine washes. The stiffness is from residual starch and a natural stiffness from the tightened denim. If you want them softer, soak them a few more times or wash them. No harm or shame. Learning curve.
    theyre gonna be stiff as fuck and yeah your beautiful white patch probably isnt so white anymore but theres probably something you could do about it. the brown and shit is probably from starch. they'll soften up and stretch. i fucking love putting on my denim when it's all crunchy. i soaked my SEXI04s the other day and when I put them on it almost hurt... i instantly fell in love
    Nice on those IH. Yeah, that has to be one of my favorite parts. The supercrunch is totally the best part of soaking.
    Because most denim is a right-hand twill, meaning it's going to pull to the wearer's right. Higher tension in the denim when woven = more twist. Left-hand twill (very rare, people make a big deal about this....) goes the opposite way (so the outseam on the right leg is forward and back on the left leg) and broken twill (zig-zag) in theory shouldn't twist at all. Historically, this was just one more way to distinguish brands. Levi's used RHT (and that's probably why it's standard), Lee used LHT (and still does to this day on the high end [Japanese] Lees), and Wrangler used broken-twill.
    Thanks for that extra ed, Kit.

7. steezin

steezin Well-Known Member

Dunno. The amount of leg twist would be the same. So it must be more noticeable due to leg orientation to the front of the pants, and how we move in them

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=7759

Is it possible for them to twist anti clockwise?
    My left twists back, and my right to the front...

8. KitAkira

Is it possible for them to twist anti clockwise? My left twists back, and my right to the front...
    Good thing you read my post.

9. mlyngard

Is it possible for them to twist anti clockwise? My left twists back, and my right to the front...
    When you say 'right' and 'left', are you looking in the mirror when you assign left and right? Your left leg (wearing - looking down at your own legs) is the one that twists to the front. Unless you have left-hand-twill. Dunno, maybe you have bad pants. Give them to Kit. It's permanent.
    Good thing you read my post.
    Heheh.

10. steezin

steezin Well-Known Member

When you say 'right' and 'left', are you looking in the mirror when you assign left and right? Your left leg (wearing - looking down at your own legs) is the one that twists to the front. Unless you have left-hand-twill.

Dunno, maybe you have bad pants. Give them to Kit. It's permanent.

Heheh.

Nope, i'm definately talking about the left leg!

Is there such a thing as "bad pants" (as in improperly constructed)?

11. connor

connor Well-Known Member

what jeans are you wearing? and yes there are definitely improperly constructed pants, what a silly question

12. bencho

bencho Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks. I'll be sure to change the water next time I soak, or wash, them.
    How does one wash jeans? Do I just soak them in warm soapy water and move them around? What kind of soap?

13. mlyngard

Ok, thanks. I'll be sure to change the water next time I soak, or wash, them.
    How does one wash jeans? Do I just soak them in warm soapy water and move them around? What kind of soap?

Hand washing is fine, cold, warm, etc. Some are picky about the detergent or soap, others not so much. Many use Woolite dark colors. Make sure to rinse well. Machine is okay too. Inside out in that case for the first wash, on cold, ideally. Dryer only if you're looking to shrink them more.

14. eseanyang

eseanyang Well-Known Member

Should i get the Iron heart 634s with copper or silver rivets, and should i get crotch rivets?

15. KitAkira

Should i get the Iron heart 634s with copper or silver rivets, and should i get crotch rivets?
    copper, no.

16. mlyngard

copper, no.

Oh shit. I'm gonna have to throw out all my jeans then?

17. mlyngard

Depends if you want a more traditional look or not. Copper is the only way to go, imo, if there's a choice. I like crotch rivets, personally. They do help hold that crotch seam together, esp. if you tend to wear out the crotch quickly. They're not very visible when wearing the jeans.

18. seany

seany Well-Known Member

Just want to say Mlyngard is by far the most helpful person in this forum.

19. mlyngard

Aw shucks. But what I don't know could fill a library, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

20. seany

seany Well-Known Member

Well you know alot about jeans, which is like 50% of what this forum talks about.