1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Chinook

Chinook Well-Known Member

Does Nordstroms/Bloomingdales/Urban Outfitters sell Levi's LVCs?

A curious Canadian..

2. r34skyline

r34skyline Active Member

looking for a pair of everday work jeans:

pbj xx-005 or flathead 3001?

3. breakz

breakz Well-Known Member

Quick one: got the 5EP LDB in raw non-selvedge. How much will these stretch?

EDIT: drizzt mentioned that I should size down one. We'll see if that works.

4. onion

onion Well-Known Member

Quick one: got the 5EP LDB in raw non-selvedge. How much will these stretch? EDIT: drizzt mentioned that I should size down one. We'll see if that works.
    I sized down 1 and they were slightly loose pretty much everywhere when new. I ended up having to hot soak them + machine dry to get them to shrink to an acceptable level. Looking back, I probably would have sized down 2. (and no, I do wear nor was I looking for a 'skinny' jean in 5ep ldb) I will say though after a hot soak + dryer on my sized down 1 LDB the fit is perfect. I haven't really worn them that much since the hot soak/dryer so I really can't comment on how much they stretch, but if you sized down 1 they shouldn't be tight enough to stretch too much, assuming they fit you how they fit me (as it takes pressure to cause stretching).

5. breakz

breakz Well-Known Member

I haven't really worn them that much since the hot soak/dryer so I really can't comment on how much they stretch, but if you sized down 1 they shouldn't be tight enough to stretch too much, assuming they fit you how they fit me (as it takes pressure to cause stretching).
    Sounds like they fit me like they fit you new: the thighs felt a bit tight, but I think they'd loosen up with enough wear so that they're baggy. There's also some bunching of the denim at the crotch, looks like some small waves. I could pull the waist off myself pretty easily. Sounds like I should size down?

6. onion

onion Well-Known Member

Sounds like they fit me like they fit you new: the thighs felt a bit tight, but I think they'd loosen up with enough wear so that they're baggy. There's also some bunching of the denim at the crotch, looks like some small waves. I could pull the waist off myself pretty easily.

Sounds like I should size down?

I think sizing down 2 would be better than 1, but take my word with a grain of salt, as I never tried on a pair of sized down 2, I'm only assuming.

Like I said though, I had good results hot soaking + dryer, if you want to go that option. I probably did some harm to the jeans by doing such (rule of thumb is to never machine dry jeans unless you have to), but other than the noticeable starch/stiffness loss, I couldn't really notice anything.

Personally if I had to do it again, I would probably return my size down 1 for a pair of size down 2, if you don't mind the shipping charges, over hot soaking + drying, but that's me. (I didn't have this option, as I cut my tags off prematurely [​IMG] )

7. breakz

breakz Well-Known Member

I think sizing down 2 would be better than 1, but take my word with a grain of salt, as I never tried on a pair of sized down 2, I'm only assuming.

No, that's cool, no worries. These ALMOST fit me well new, so I'm thinking one size down would be best.

8. dshack

dshack Well-Known Member

Skull 5507XX 6x6 27. Unsoaked (but the denim's sanforized), and mad tight. I can fasten all the buttons, but it definitely feels strained. I'm not sure whether I like the fit or not yet, looking for some help deciding whether to keep or sell these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. breakz

breakz Well-Known Member

Fit looks good to me, assuming they'll stretch a bit and you'll get some space.

10. aerether

aerether Well-Known Member

Hello.

Crucial information crossposted from APC thread.

5' 7" height.
    33" true waist
    Quads are 23.5" around largest part and 22.25" smack in the middle of my thigh. (they are massively/xbox huge)
    16.25" calves.

Usually wear a 30" inseam.

My question:
    Think I could go for the Dry Bones Red-D (despite the 39" inseam)? Or maybe even the KMW 1980s? I have no idea how Dry Bones or KMW denim stretches at all. And I am wearing my size 31 APC NS's with a loose waist and tightness in the thigh area.

Additional potential choices: Iron Heart 634S, larger Skulls (based on SE measurements might be just right), hunt for Dry Bones DP-570 (larger thigh room, much shorter inseam than Red-D).

I'm just lost at the moment :\\

11. mshemons

mshemons Active Member

From what I read Dry Bones stretches about 1" in the waist. I actually just got a pair of Red-Ds today. Got the 29" (my waist is about 32"). One thing: these jeans are definitely loooong. I am 6'7" and I bought these so I could actually have a bit of stacking for once in my life. I think they fit well, can't wait to break them in and stretch them out a bit. Couple fit pics: [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. flyindarkness

flyindarkness Well-Known Member

if you had a choice, would you buy the
    1) PRPS new fit
    2) KMW rocker
    3) other raw jeans slim in that same price point.
    and why?

13. JonB27

JonB27 Well-Known Member

^^ Those do have a nice and long inseam for your height

14. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

ok torn between some jeans. i want a low rise fairly slim fitting straight leg jean.

so i've been looking at

Somet 003
    PBJ XX-005
    APC NS
    Skull 50-10 Black

i have bigger thighs around 25in and normally wear a 33-34 in jeans.

15. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

pbjs and skulls are pretty slim in the thighs. More so than the new standards. I haven't tried on the somets though.

16. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

i'm thinking about getting the NS and only sizing down 1 or getting the rest of those jeans in a 34, maybe a 35 for the skulls if i do.

still up in the air about which ones to get

17. Glory Daze

Glory Daze Active Member

How do I get my jeans to stack evenly? The left leg and right leg of the jeans are stacking differently right now.

18. Deluks917

Deluks917 Well-Known Member

ok torn between some jeans. i want a low rise fairly slim fitting straight leg jean. so i've been looking at Somet 003 PBJ XX-005 APC NS Skull 50-10 Black i have bigger thighs around 25in and normally wear a 33-34 in jeans.
    New Standards aren't even remotely low rise (still cool though). I like somet, never tried the other 2.
    i'm thinking about getting the NS and only sizing down 1 or getting the rest of those jeans in a 34, maybe a 35 for the skulls if i do. still up in the air about which ones to get
    I sized down one on my APC's (hence could barely button them) and it went fine.
    Hello. Crucial information crossposted from APC thread. 5' 7" height. 33" true waist Quads are 23.5" around largest part and 22.25" smack in the middle of my thigh. (they are massively/xbox huge) 16.25" calves. Usually wear a 30" inseam. My question: Think I could go for the Dry Bones Red-D (despite the 39" inseam)? Or maybe even the KMW 1980s? I have no idea how Dry Bones or KMW denim stretches at all. And I am wearing my size 31 APC NS's with a loose waist and tightness in the thigh area. Additional potential choices: Iron Heart 634S, larger Skulls (based on SE measurements might be just right), hunt for Dry Bones DP-570 (larger thigh room, much shorter inseam than Red-D). I'm just lost at the moment :\\
    It seems like everybody has a loose waist on thier APC's, I would get the 1980 as I perfer a nice modern cut jean. 39 Inch inseam might go badly too but I really have no idea.

19. mimesis

mimesis Well-Known Member

20. jasonn

jasonn Member

I just picked up a pair of 501XX STFs 30x34 from Macy's today. Should I soak them immediately or not? Anything I need to do during the soaking process? How long should I soak them? Soak them inside out? Should I hang dry them or wear them around while damp (someone suggested this to me)? Anything else I need to know in general about STFs? (New to raw/selvedge). As is, the jeans feel loose around thighs and legs and just slightly loose around the waist.

I wear a 29 normally (511/514s). Natural waist (2 inches above naval) is 31".