1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, the sven's were not one-washed, they were raw. I got them from denimbar but I think they were the same as these. Does that change anything?
    I'll assume you're new to this so I won't read you the riot act, however, "raw" simply implies that the jeans have not been distressed or specially washed. "Raw" doesn't specify if a pair is sanforized, one-wash, or STF. To put it simply, think of it as saying that a pair is "dark blue." That said, NO Nudie pair is STF. They have all been washed once even if they are raw.

2. DBoon

DBoon Well-Known Member

I'm pretty new to the forum, and I've had my first pair for about a month now. (Acne Mic Rigid) I'm ready for my 2nd pair - any recommendations? I know that one of the obvious choices is the APC NS, which I will pick up sooner or later - any others?

Any size recommendations would be great as well. The Acnes are 33w and I like the way they fit.

thanks in advance!

Well you technically aren't anywhere NEAR finished with your Acnes, so you are really just jonesing for another to put in the rotation

No shame in that

I'd suggest trying something Japanese, like a Samurai, PBJ, Flat Head, etc. You have a million choices in fabric, cut, etc...

I would also say that you really limit it to 2, maybe 3, or else it'll just take so long for everything to fade! Not that there are any rules to wearing jeans

3. fegidero

fegidero Member

im deciding between ande whall grifters and kmw 1980s. i really like both but still need some opinions from people who own these jeans.

4. malloc

malloc Member

Can anybody comment on the fit in the seat for the KMW 1980s? I have SC Okinawas in sz 30 that are a little loose in the seat, but basically around my ideal comfort level. My only complaint is that the knee area looks a little too loose. Any recommendations?

5. Dekayte

Dekayte Well-Known Member

I can only help you guys on one side of the problem since I don't own Grifters or Okinawas, but I love my KMW 1980. The cut is great. Here is a picture of Dirk's KMW 1980 Black.

Hey Chronic, Thanks for posting pics of your 1980 Blacks. Here is a long overdue pic of mine after 2 months of every day wear.
    [​IMG]
    I can not express how happy I am with the early results. KMW rules.

6. halberdklown

halberdklown Well-Known Member

skull 5010xx 6x6, Imperial Duke, or SExI04?

anyone that can shed some light on this?

7. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of Nudie Even Stevens in 32x34, and while the waist is spot on after some stretching, I get the feeling that they're too long. The stacks seem to bunch up on top of my shoe for a good 2 inches, and then the jean is pretty much flat straight the rest of the way up. Is this more of a result of the jean still being relatively new and the denim still pretty stiff? Or are they too long? I'll try to get a pic up when I get home.

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

anyone that can shed some light on this?

skull, imo.

9. halberdklown

halberdklown Well-Known Member

skull, imo.

no love for the sexi04bk i see

10. Brutus

Brutus Well-Known Member

I'll assume you're new to this so I won't read you the riot act, however, "raw" simply implies that the jeans have not been distressed or specially washed.

"Raw" doesn't specify if a pair is sanforized, one-wash, or STF. To put it simply, think of it as saying that a pair is "dark blue."

That said, NO Nudie pair is STF. They have all been washed once even if they are raw.

I think dsj488's original question was one of stretching...everyone keeps talking about shrinking. I haven't seen enough Nudies to answer the question comparing the "used grey" and the Sven but I'd assume they'd both stretch about the same unless the grey's were heavily washed originally.

Q of my own here: What's a good way to tell how much a pair of denim jeans will stretch with wear? You know, besides asking the who's and drizzt's on this thread who have tried just about every brand and cut out there.

11. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

Q of my own here: What's a good way to tell how much a pair of denim jeans will stretch with wear? You know, besides asking the who's and drizzt's on this thread who have tried just about every brand and cut out there.

Simple: witchcraft.

12. FenixConnektion

FenixConnektion New Member

Hey all,

I've been lurking around these forums for a short while now, admiring everyone's denim and whatnot. I'd just like to make my first post, and what better thread to launch me into the foray than the "I have a jean..." thread!

I wanted to know how the fit of these Nudies are on me? I unfortunately went true to size on these SJDJs, and now am thinking they look a bit too large 'specially around the waist. What do you guys think? Absolutely horrible?

(sorry for the crappy phone pics...it's all I've got)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Brutus

Brutus Well-Known Member

SJDJ stands for Slim Jim right? Those aren't slim.

Side note: That shirt would be awesome if the Wii didn't suck so much!

14. buttonman

buttonman Well-Known Member

anyone familiar with flatheads other cuts(ie 3005xx, 3009, the lesser known ones?) tried searching up the threads and google for flatheads size chart for the other cuts but can't find them.

i remember flathead use to have a website up but i think it was under construction or being moved to some other place. anyone have any idea where to find measurements?

15. hi-val

hi-val Well-Known Member

I've been breaking in a pair of Academi jeans. I got some snug ones that were a tight fit, though the size up would be too big. The waist has streched a bit, the butt and hips area generally too. This isn't really related to my Q but it's some backstory.

Anyway, I've been finding that they fit fine when I'm standing, but when I'm sitting, the waist digs into my stomach and if I'm sitting for an hour or more, my lower ab muscles get sore. I think this is a function of the jeans being still unwashed and stiff. I've looked at other pairs of jeans I wear and even the skinny hipster girl jeans don't do that to me, and I think it's because the fabric is softer. So my question is, have you experienced discomfort in your muscles where your waist digs in when you sit? Got any remedies? I'm not a big guy by any means and this really is the first time I've had this issue. Suggestions for softening the fabric without washing?

16. buttonman

buttonman Well-Known Member

same thing with my pair. i dunno if you sized down but i went true to size and i had that digging into my stomach discomfort initially for a couple days but it stretched out for me after having these for a couple weeks now. get used to it and it'll stretch? the top part of the waist has kinda stretched out a litttle more than the rest since being in high school, i spend a majority of my time sitting, listening to boring lectures

17. PG2G

PG2G Well-Known Member

Alright guys, need some advice. Picked up a pair of S5000BK while I was in Japan (with tabs and arcs, yay!) but am now thinking they may be a bit too relaxed for me. The 710 wasn't out yet when I was there :/

Would you have them altered, or try and sell them and pick up a pair of 710BK? I'm in LA so I have access to some fairly good denim tailors.

18. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

*Clears throat*
    This seems like as good a place as any to ask this: are there any jeans that are very slim in the seat but are still mid rise (as in 10-11" in a 32" waist)? And would you determine this by looking at the rear rise measurement? Most mid-rise jeans I've tried on are also somewhat baggy on me in the seat, however, I'm not really a fan of very low-rise jeans with a tucked in shirt on me so I'm not nuts about going in that direction just to get acceptably form-fitting seat.

19. Asch

Asch Well-Known Member

Brian, have you tried the Iron Heart 634S? Its rise is medium/medium-low in front, medium/medium-high in back, but the whole top block, waist included, is very slim.

The Flathead 3001 is another option, significantly slimmer throughout the leg. Its rear pockets are fairly high and close together, which gives a more fitted look than many Japanese brands.

20. reprehensible

reprehensible Well-Known Member

Is there any kind of consensus on what the better 1947-ish reproduction jeans are? I've searched around and seen personal testimonials here and there, but nothing that seemed consensus-like.