• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
Dear SF Denim Gurus,

I'm a skinny guy (5'10", 130lbs) with relatively wide hips. As such, jeans that fit me in the waist tend to be too baggy for my liking in the seat/thighs. Can somebody reccomend a cut that would work for me? Or maybe I should get my jeans tailored? Thanks anyway.

What have you tried so far so that we can get a better idea of what has failed you in the past?
Originally Posted by alexwgoody
No one ever seems to talk about ACNE jeans. Do people tend to like the raw ones, or should I just stick to the standards that we talk about here?
Quite a few people on here like Acne jeans but they're comparative to Nudie in that people buy them for the fit rather than the denim itself. It's like anything else, you simply need to know what you're looking for in a pair.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
What have you tried so far so that we can get a better idea of what has failed you in the past?

A combination of location and me being cheap has lead me to not have a lot of experience outside of mall brands and the like. I've tried various cuts from Levi's (501, 511, 514, 510), Gap, J.Crew, etc. I'd like to save up and get some nice denim that will hopefully fit better, but seeing as I most likely won't be able to try them on before purchasing I don't want to dive in without some help first.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
A combination of location and me being cheap has lead me to not have a lot of experience outside of mall brands and the like. I've tried various cuts from Levi's (501, 511, 514, 510), Gap, J.Crew, etc. I'd like to save up and get some nice denim that will hopefully fit better, but seeing as I most likely won't be able to try them on before purchasing I don't want to dive in without some help first.
I figured you'd respond like that. KMW 1980 is a popular choice, Jean Shop Skinny is a great jean, Naked&Famous Skinny/Weird Guy, and Crate James or Sally. It depends on how much you're willing to go and that list is ordered $$$>$.

duck sauce

Reaction score
obama.jpg

Tumbling Dice

Reaction score
I bought some Capital E Matchsticks a few months ago and they were supposedly rigid/raw. I've been trying to break them in and fade them by wearing as much as possible before I do the first wash. I've worn them a lot over the last few months - maybe on average 4 days a week. However there is no sign of fading! They have stretched in some places where they were previously snug, and they have developed some wrinkles (e.g. quasi honeycombs and whiskers), but there is really no fading at all. Shouldn't I have seen some fading by now? Could it be that they are not truly raw jeans or that Capital E denim isn't really suited for this? They looked raw when I got them but were softer than typical raw jeans. Do you have to have that extra rigid, cardboard kind stiffness to get fading without washing? I know Capital E's aren't that highly regarded here but I thought somebody might have some relevant knowledge about this nonetheless.
Thanks.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tumbling Dice
I bought some Capital E Matchsticks a few months ago and they were supposedly rigid/raw. I've been trying to break them in and fade them by wearing as much as possible before I do the first wash. I've worn them a lot over the last few months - maybe on average 4 days a week. However there is no sign of fading! They have stretched in some places where they were previously snug, and they have developed some wrinkles (e.g. quasi honeycombs and whiskers), but there is really no fading at all. Shouldn't I have seen some fading by now? Could it be that they are not truly raw jeans or that Capital E denim isn't really suited for this? They looked raw when I got them but were softer than typical raw jeans. Do you have to have that extra rigid, cardboard kind stiffness to get fading without washing? I know Capital E's aren't that highly regarded here but I thought somebody might have some relevant knowledge about this nonetheless.
Thanks.

Yeah in the future stay away from capital e. while they look nice when you buy them I've heard that they fall apart after serious wear.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone can point me to a resource on DIY Resin Coating? I want to retain that sheen and keep the indigo color dark.

Neorotic

Reaction score
I just scored my first pair of actually decent denim! Jack Threads has Nudie Straight Sven's on sale for $119, so I scooped up a pair.

My question is, I couldn't find Straight Sven on Nudie's website, so I was just wondering if anyone knew if they're true to size, or if they run big/small.

bunny4eva

Reaction score
My experience with Nudies is that the waist is larger than listed, and it will stretch maybe an inch or two.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, a few questions from someone clueless about jeans.

1. I am buying to buy a pair of Levi 501s tomorrow. Are the rise on those designed to be worn at the waist or below the waist? I ask this because I have been seeing different information. Regardless of the rise, at the hips?

2. In what way is STF better than preshrunk? For someone that doesn't plan to wear jeans that often, is it worth the trouble?

Thanks.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liquidus
Hello, a few questions from someone clueless about jeans.

1. I am buying to buy a pair of Levi 501s tomorrow. Are the rise on those designed to be worn at the waist or below the waist? I ask this because I have been seeing different information. Regardless of the rise, at the hips?

2. In what way is STF better than preshrunk? For someone that doesn't plan to wear jeans that often, is it worth the trouble?

Thanks.

1) Depends on how you want to wear them: Trad/old man? At the waist. Otherwise, sag them down a bit. 2) It isn't other than if you're looking for a raw pair of Levi's it is sometimes easier to find STF than preshunk depending on the cut.

adversity04

Reaction score
At approx. 4 months of wear without washing on some KMW 1980s MiC and getting this at the crotch area. Wash and get them patched and hemmed now or am I good to keep wearing them?

img1001.jpg

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you don't have it patched or stitched up it will just keep getting bigger until it rips... i had a rip develop in the same area on my SJDJs a while ago and Kiya said if it had gotten any bigger they might not have been able to fix it. err on the side of caution IMO

anyways, i want to wash my jeans. if i throw it in a coldwater wash it shouldn't shrink too much, right? SJDJs are sanforized but i still want to minimize even that minimal amount of shrinkage; they are pretty snug as they sit.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by connor
anyways, i want to wash my jeans. if i throw it in a coldwater wash it shouldn't shrink too much, right? SJDJs are sanforized but i still want to minimize even that minimal amount of shrinkage; they are pretty snug as they sit.
Hot or cold the difference in shrinkage is about the same and is nullified once they stretch back out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads