1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

I measured a pair of jeans that fit me well around the waist. They were 33".

33" - 2" = 31", which would be a size 29 in New Cures.

I'm curious, what size do you normally buy your jeans in? 31?

2. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Well-Known Member

I measured a pair of jeans that fit me well around the waist. They were 33".

33" - 2" = 31", which would be a size 29 in New Cures.

[​IMG]. Sizing down 2 after vanity applies to New Standards. Usually people go TTS (accounting for vanity sizing only) or down 1.

3. Shirt+Pants

Shirt+Pants Well-Known Member

I'm curious, what size do you normally buy your jeans in? 31?

In Levi's 510 and 511 I wear a size 32. I have a pair of sevens in a size 31 and they're actually pretty loose. When measuring the waist of a pair of jeans are you supposed to lay them down naturally where the front of the jeans falls lower than the back or are you supposed to align them?

4. whodini

In Levi's 510 and 511 I wear a size 32. I have a pair of sevens in a size 31 and they're actually pretty loose. When measuring the waist of a pair of jeans are you supposed to lay them down naturally where the front of the jeans falls lower than the back or are you supposed to align them?
    But wait, when you told me you measured your 510s were you talking about a new pair or something you've worn in for a while? It makes a difference in that with a worn in pair you're measuring a stretched out waistband while taking into consideration the rest of the top block. A stretched out pair of 32s may have a waistband that measures out 34 but the rest of the dimensions will stay pretty much the same; a fresh pair of 29s may have a 31 waistband that will stretch out to 33 but the rest of the dimensions (top block) will still be for a 29. Does that make sense? Sorry, but looking back at the information you gave me it'd appear that we were focusing more on the waistband than the tagged size as I assumed your measured Levis were new. "Size down two" should be from the tagged size of jeans or dress pants you typically wear (with Levi's probably being the best case scenario); that being the case, the 30 was probably the right way to go. They would measure out to 32" new (by Context's measurements) leaving you plenty of space to stretch out 1-2". Concerned, IIIrd isn't the only person I know who has sized down two. Context isn't too far off by also giving this advice.

5. Shirt+Pants

But wait, when you told me you measured your 510s were you talking about a new pair or something you've worn in for a while? It makes a difference in that with a worn in pair you're measuring a stretched out waistband while taking into consideration the rest of the top block.

A stretched out pair of 32s may have a waistband that measures out 34 but the rest of the dimensions will stay pretty much the same; a fresh pair of 29s may have a 31 waistband that will stretch out to 33 but the rest of the dimensions (top block) will still be for a 29. Does that make sense?

Sorry, but looking back at the information you gave me it'd appear that we were focusing more on the waistband than the tagged size as I assumed your measured Levis were new. "Size down two" should be from the tagged size of jeans or dress pants you typically wear (with Levi's probably being the best case scenario); that being the case, the 30 was probably the right way to go. They would measure out to 32" new (by Context's measurements) leaving you plenty of space to stretch out 1-2".

Concerned, IIIrd isn't the only person I know who has sized down two. Context isn't too far off by also giving this advice.

So basically all that strecthes is the waistband?

6. whodini

More than anything, absolutely. That's where most of the stress is going to occur.

7. Shirt+Pants

More than anything, absolutely. That's where most of the stress is going to occur.

Cool...thanks again bro.

8. joel_954

joel_954 Well-Known Member

At retail I think they're pretty weak choices. IH and PRPS both use great denim and are well-made but that $300+ peak is about the point where I question just what's so special about what I'm buying; rag&bone is good but for $245 I think there are better options.

Cool. I'll just wait to see what Mauro gets in for Fall. He's my regular denim dealer.

9. whodini

Cool...thanks again bro.
    No problem.
    Cool. I'll just wait to see what Mauro gets in for Fall. He's my regular denim dealer.
    I'm not saying they're bad jeans but on a whole there's a lot of compromising going on for each pair when your requirements are fairly simple. It's also a shame Mauro sold out of the Chimala Acrylic pairs because those pretty much match what you're looking for.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

waistband stretch a lot but anywhere that there is stress on the fabric it will generally stretch to accommodate. thighs normally stretch out also.

11. bassmanpatsfan18

bassmanpatsfan18 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    What's the general consensus on sizing for Helmut Lang raw denim? Should I size down?

12. pantheist

pantheist Well-Known Member

i wear 29 in raw 19cms

would i need to size up 1 for umc's?

13. pridecake

pridecake Well-Known Member

the general rule for dior washed denim is raw size +1. As for me, I wore 19cms dust wash and overdyes in 29, same as my mij raw 21s. If you're close to a dior boutique, I'd recommend trying on the umc's in person and seeing how they fit. I think +1 should be good though

14. drillserg

drillserg Member

What brands/model of jeans are similar to Dior UMC, Clawmark, Jakes in terms of cut and distressing?

15. benny196

benny196 Well-Known Member

Was looking into buying a pair of KMW 2010. Does anyone have any good fit pics of them after they have already been worn in, I am having trouble finding them.

16. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

Hey guys, What's the general consensus on sizing for Helmut Lang raw denim? Should I size down?
    yes, size down. stretches about 2 inches.

17. ConcernedParent

Concerned, IIIrd isn't the only person I know who has sized down two. Context isn't too far off by also giving this advice.

Seriously? TWO down after vanity? I have scrawny chicken legs and I went TTS and they fit ridiculously tight at first- they've since stretched out to be comfortably skinny without any real ridiculous hip flare either. I guess you guys have more balls (heh heh) than I do.

18. whodini

??? Two down after vanity would be sizing down four. Apc is 2 inches larger than tagged.

19. connor

connor Well-Known Member

20. ConcernedParent

??? Two down after vanity would be sizing down four. Apc is 2 inches larger than tagged.

Blame the esoteric system. The way i've seen it explained is that that you take your real waist- size down 2 for vanity, then an additional 0-2 depending on the fit you are going for. So therefore accounting for vanity (or minus 2) would be considered TTS.