1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. mejoshua

mejoshua Well-Known Member

So I finally caved in and recently bought myself the A.P.C. New Standard. While I'm waiting for them to reach me, the thought of cleaning them has been bugging me. Now I'm going to try to wear these as long as I can without washing them, but I've been curious about the best way to go about cleaning them when the time comes. Is it safe to dry clean raw denim? I searched here a bit and read mixed thoughts. I've read in some posts that the chemicals used can weaken the denim and stuff like that. If that's the case then is it better that I hand wash them and then air dry them?

2. stickonatree

stickonatree Well-Known Member

I find the APC almost unwearable because of their weird waist configuration: already 2 inches larger than tagged plus an additional 2 inches of stretch (the lower I go on the waist, the more I compromise on the thighs) makes them, in my opinion, the most retardedly constructed jeans around.

BUT, I love the color and shine of the denim. So, are there other brands out there that have denim similar to APC?

you do know that you're supposed to size down 2 (or more, if you want) to compensate for that, right?

the "weird waist configuration" you're talking about is called vanity sizing, btw.

raw denim naturally will stretch, even if it's sanforized.

3. bobdobalina

bobdobalina Well-Known Member

What's a sensible 33 year old to do for a pair of nice jeans?

Criteria:
    1. Nothing that requires substantially more care than one would give to any other garment.
    2. Look appropriate for a man of my age.
    3. Less than, say, $300.
    4. Trim, but in good taste. Nothing to reduce my sperm count.
    5. Make my (relatively) fit body look good.

Thanks.

I am in Manhattan

4. JOA

JOA Well-Known Member

PC--New Standard or Rescue cut. Roughly $120 @ Denim Bar. Classic straight leg, button fly jean that is easy to take care of.

5. Serg

Serg Well-Known Member

APC--New Standard or Rescue cut. Roughly $120 @ Denim Bar. Classic straight leg, button fly jean that is easy to take care of.

uh or he can go to the APC store in soho and try them on...

6. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

I should probably know this after spending so much time here, but....

I'm looking for something in a slim straight leg, fairly slim top block and mid-low rise. I think I basically want something like an APC NS without the taper, or a PBJ 005's that are a tad bigger all around. 8.5-9" knee and hem would be fine after shrinkage. My LBDs have stretched to 33.5-34" after considerable wear, so that appears to be my true waist (or true wherever-it-is-that-I-wear-my-jeans) but I have no problem stretching something out. I'd prefer the denim should be on the lighter side, as I've got several months of 90+ temps to deal with. I could spend up to $250 if they're amazing but I'd rather keep it sub-$200.

7. PG2G

PG2G Well-Known Member

I would recommend the Kicking Mule Workshop 1980, but it looks like its a bit out of your price range.

Is the taper of the APC NS that much of a problem? Its only like a half inch.

8. alliswell

alliswell Well-Known Member

So I finally caved in and recently bought myself the A.P.C. New Standard. While I'm waiting for them to reach me, the thought of cleaning them has been bugging me. Now I'm going to try to wear these as long as I can without washing them, but I've been curious about the best way to go about cleaning them when the time comes. Is it safe to dry clean raw denim? I searched here a bit and read mixed thoughts. I've read in some posts that the chemicals used can weaken the denim and stuff like that. If that's the case then is it better that I hand wash them and then air dry them?

Dry clean them, and insist that they're dry cleaned. I know of at least one place that launders all jeans, whether they're for dry cleaning or no.

9. alliswell

alliswell Well-Known Member

So following some good advice I received earlier in the thread, I bought the 101z in 29 and also got a pair of earnest sewn rottons in 30 so I could compare the fits. Their measurements are very similar bu I feel the Lees fit better, the earnest seem a bit big. The lees are a little tight but form what I've read they'll stretch. They are long but they are so narrow that I don't know if I should hem them? Does the stacking look excessive?

Lee 101Z
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Earnest swen
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Glad that worked out for you.

The Lees will stretch some so I think you'll be fine. Whodini is right in that they will settle, but I'm of a mind that excessive stacking doesn't look great on an older guy -- I say that as someone much older that you -- so I would cuff for a time to determine the best length then hem once you're happy with the look.

lefty

The combination of high rise and low pockets is not flattering to your backside, I'm afraid.

10. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

I would recommend the Kicking Mule Workshop 1980, but it looks like its a bit out of your price range.

Is the taper of the APC NS that much of a problem? Its only like a half inch.

DB's discount would kick that price to the low $200s. Don't the 1980s have a slight taper, though?

11. PG2G

PG2G Well-Known Member

DB's discount would kick that price to the low $200s. Don't the 1980s have a slight taper, though?
    Nah, the Rocker and 1950 are tapered according to context

12. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

Nah, the Rocker and 1950 are tapered according to context

Guess DB's description is wrong then.

(Something else for the new site...)

13. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

The combination of high rise and low pockets is not flattering to your backside, I'm afraid.

True on his Earnest Sewn, but not so much on the Lee Gold 101z, which has low-to-medium rise.

14. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

101z's have one of the lowest rises, it's like 8.5"...

15. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

I should probably know this after spending so much time here, but....

I'm looking for something in a slim straight leg, fairly slim top block and mid-low rise. I think I basically want something like an APC NS without the taper, or a PBJ 005's that are a tad bigger all around. 8.5-9" knee and hem would be fine after shrinkage. My LBDs have stretched to 33.5-34" after considerable wear, so that appears to be my true waist (or true wherever-it-is-that-I-wear-my-jeans) but I have no problem stretching something out. I'd prefer the denim should be on the lighter side, as I've got several months of 90+ temps to deal with. I could spend up to $250 if they're amazing but I'd rather keep it sub-$200.

Flat Head's F310 meets all your requirements including amazing denim albeit hem being a hair smaller than 8.5".

Can be had under $200 in the second hand market, like this pair (no affliation w/ seller)

16. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

Thanks all that responded. I'd rather not go tapered because I'd like to keep a slim knee without a 8" or less leg opening, which I'd really just like to stay away from for this pair.

Any reason the F380s wouldn't work for what I'm looking for or are they too relaxed in the seat and thighs?

17. rando

rando Well-Known Member

I currently have a pair of APC new standards in 29 that are a little loose as i lost about 10 lbs. i was considering getting the new cure in 28. how would these compare or should i just go with the new standard in 28? thanks!

18. June

June Well-Known Member

In the market form some skinnier jeans so I bought Thin Finns in Dry Black Coated 27x34. [​IMG] Compared to my sz 28 Skulls 5010 (hemmed to some amount like 33" or something) [​IMG] Not really sure if I want to keep them, but I think tapered jeans are better for my legs than slim straight.

19. spreadcollar

spreadcollar Well-Known Member

Looking for a pair of black overdye jeans, preferably raw, under $200 -- slim fit, perhaps a slight taper but nothing too extreme, something that will stack nice with a sleeker dress shoe. Suggestions?

20. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

The best bet is a bit more expensive. KMW black selvage context collab is exactly what you're looking for.