1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Wheeler

Wheeler Well-Known Member

Here's some shitty macbook pics of my 514s (-2). I'm open to suggestions if people think I'd look better in a different cut, too.

I'm liking the look of the routes, and the price is right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hnlax

hnlax Well-Known Member

Here's some shitty macbook pics of my 514s (-2). I'm open to suggestions if people think I'd look better in a different cut, too.

I'm liking the look of the routes, and the price is right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i have the routes as well, and if you want something that isn't tapered, then these are a good choice. it's all about the silhoutte. do you have a chance to try on a range of jeans? i think you'd like the routes, but i originally bought 514s because i thought they were slim without being skinny...until i found this forum.

if you like the fit of the 514, then the routes are a great way to go, especially with farinellis sf discount. i would also suggest taking a look at apc new standards and petit standards as well. they're different beasts, so it depends on what you're going for.

the routes are really unique denim-wise, i think. they're really streaky and i'm glad i have them. i wear them (routes and petit standard) equally. i think the petit standards are just a bit more "sleek", but sleek isn't always necessary or appropriate.

3. Wheeler

Wheeler Well-Known Member

do you have a chance to try on a range of jeans?.

Well, I'll be in NYC in August. I'm assuming there's someplace there that's good for jeans?

4. hnlax

hnlax Well-Known Member

Well, I'll be in NYC in August. I'm assuming there's someplace there that's good for jeans?

Yeah, Blue in Green. The APC Flagship store is also in New York

5. scb

scb Well-Known Member

so i got some samurai s0610lx's in 32 from BiG, and they didn't shrink at all after multiple soaks, so they agreed to send me the 30s instead. i wanted a 34 inch inseam post soak, and i got a 33 inch inseam pre soak. so i guess I have some s0610lx's i need to sell. not sure I can send them back because they won't take returns after they've been hemmed (and i'm not sure yet what the policy is if they hemmed them too short).

so I guess I have some samurai s0610lx's (low rise) for sale in a size 30. anyone want them?

6. meltingz

meltingz Member

He's changed his denim a bunch...I have some Cougars from last year with yellow line selvage that haven't stretched too much, probably a bit less than average. His current selvage is a bit lighter, so maybe they'll stretch more?

Anyway, if in doubt w/ Whall, I say size up or get the roomier cut. His jeans run slim.

well actually i got them already true to size everythings fine but dammmm the thighs are tight... hoping some squats will stretch em out.

7. Caveat

Caveat Well-Known Member

I got a new pair of Earnest Sewn jeans (not raw denim.) They look great, but feel too tight. I don't have any room to maneuvre. What can I expect with wear/washing? Will they stretch, shrink, or both? I'm trying to decide if I should go up a size. I could go up a size and get them tailored for the waist I guess.

8. meltingz

meltingz Member

I got a new pair of Earnest Sewn jeans (not raw denim.) They look great, but feel too tight. I don't have any room to maneuvre. What can I expect with wear/washing? Will they stretch, shrink, or both? I'm trying to decide if I should go up a size. I could go up a size and get them tailored for the waist I guess.

pretty sure they wont stretch much seeing their not raw, id advise you to size up

9. aqhong

aqhong Well-Known Member

^ They will stretch when you wear them, shrink when you wash them, and stretch again when you wear them.

10. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

Earnest Sewn denim, even in raw state, doesn't stretch much tho. I'd advise sizing up.

11. CosmicOsmo

CosmicOsmo Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of taking the plunge into raw denim...my only concern is that if I'm going to be wearing something pretty much every day while breaking them in, I want them to fit and be comfortable. I have "athletic thighs" and want a cut that fits comfortably in the seat and thighs. Also, I find a bootcut seems to work well on my body type (balances out the size of the thighs) or a straight leg can work for me...anything skinny or tapered is right out.

I know the A.P.C. Rescue is advertised as being cut for "athletic thighs" but I'm not too fond of what I've seen of the way they fade. What other jeans would be suitable for my body type? I've been eyeing the 5EP lowdown boot, would those fit ok?

Here are my measurements:

True waist: 33"
    "jeans" waist (lower on hips): 35"
    seat/hips/ass: 38"
    Thighs: 24-25"

(those waist measurements were a little surprising to me as most of my best fitting jeans are tagged 30-31")

12. dinted voice

dinted voice Well-Known Member

I'm sure they make 511s/514s in raw material. And yeah APC NS fade like mad.

Will the APC's fade even without washing? I like the look of the dark color, but don't want to lose it.

13. MusiciMake

MusiciMake New Member

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I have been into jeans for as long as I can remember. When my family would go to NY we would make special trips to Bloomingdale's for True Religions, Diesel, the works. I'm in college now, about to finish my Freshman year, and I'm looking for some Levi's. I have been wearing 511's for a while now. I'm a 31 or 32 waist and 30 or 32 inseam depending on what I'm wearing the jeans with. With Vans Authentics or Slip-Ons, it's 32 inseam. With Nike High's it's 30. Now here's my question... I'm wearing a pair of Docker's 538 (yes, 538, not Levi's 539, they're apparently imported), and I love them. I have two pairs of Levi's 514's, but the issue is they are too wide in the leg! I weigh 150-155, and I have a pretty cut build. Those jeans look much too baggy for my taste, yet they're supposed to be slim. If we can post links (remove if we can't mods), then watch this video at about 0:48, the jeans the guy is wearing are the fit I'm looking for: http://www.nike.com/nikeskateboardin...dia/view/13870 Also, fast forward to 2:58 and look at his dark brown khaki or cords or whatever they are. LOVE THE FIT. I have those black Nike Blazer shoes and those would go perfect with them. At 3:05 there is a shot RIGHT at shoe level and you can see the pants tucked in the tongue of the shoe. I like the leg opening throughout, but they look bootcut, so maybe not bootcut. What are those pants, or at least WHAT IS THAT FIT?! Thank you guys for your time! P.S. 55 seconds in the video as well, dude with gray shirt and black hat. Sick jeans, what are they? (or what is the fit?)

14. onion

onion Well-Known Member

Will the APC's fade even without washing? I like the look of the dark color, but don't want to lose it.

Yes.

15. onion

onion Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of taking the plunge into raw denim...my only concern is that if I'm going to be wearing something pretty much every day while breaking them in, I want them to fit and be comfortable. I have "athletic thighs" and want a cut that fits comfortably in the seat and thighs. Also, I find a bootcut seems to work well on my body type (balances out the size of the thighs) or a straight leg can work for me...anything skinny or tapered is right out. I know the A.P.C. Rescue is advertised as being cut for "athletic thighs" but I'm not too fond of what I've seen of the way they fade. What other jeans would be suitable for my body type? I've been eyeing the 5EP lowdown boot, would those fit ok? Here are my measurements: True waist: 33" "jeans" waist (lower on hips): 35" seat/hips/ass: 38" Thighs: 24-25" (those waist measurements were a little surprising to me as most of my best fitting jeans are tagged 30-31")
    I'm not going to bother looking up measurements, but I can assume the 5ep LDB will be a good match for you. The denim for one is amazing. It's a very unique blue with a very slight teal tent. It's also quite colorfast, which means it holds onto the indigo better when you wash/soak them. As far as the cut, the thigh is slim, but definitely not tight, and I think it will be ok with your 'athletic thighs'. The 'boot' isn't huge, and it sort of gives the effect of a straight leg since it doesn't billow out. Even more so if you hem them. You might want to be aware of the rise though. Some say it's too high for their liking, but I personally don't mind it.

16. raven37457

raven37457 Well-Known Member

I am contemplating what my next pair of denim should be or if should I even purchase another pair. Any suggestions? Here is what I have:

Paper Denim Cloth - 2 pairs which I hardly ever use (Vogel and Eternal)
    Loomstate - 6 pairs I use 2 pairs with tags (3 Genus, Channel, Mission)
    Yanuk - 2 pairs
    Corpus - 1 black (Slim B)
    Habitual - 2 pairs (chambray and khaki from gilt)
    Crate - 2 pairs (Sally's and Hamiltons)

17. Our_Benefactors

Our_Benefactors Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of taking the plunge into raw denim...my only concern is that if I'm going to be wearing something pretty much every day while breaking them in, I want them to fit and be comfortable. I have "athletic thighs" and want a cut that fits comfortably in the seat and thighs. Also, I find a bootcut seems to work well on my body type (balances out the size of the thighs) or a straight leg can work for me...anything skinny or tapered is right out.

I know the A.P.C. Rescue is advertised as being cut for "athletic thighs" but I'm not too fond of what I've seen of the way they fade. What other jeans would be suitable for my body type? I've been eyeing the 5EP lowdown boot, would those fit ok?

Here are my measurements:

True waist: 33"
    "jeans" waist (lower on hips): 35"
    seat/hips/ass: 38"
    Thighs: 24-25"

(those waist measurements were a little surprising to me as most of my best fitting jeans are tagged 30-31")

Average Joe Dry Heavy. Really nice fit, super dark, fades slowly, and isn't prone to the normal crotch blowouts that Nudie is infamous for.

18. aqhong

aqhong Well-Known Member

I am contemplating what my next pair of denim should be or if should I even purchase another pair. Any suggestions? Here is what I have: Paper Denim Cloth - 2 pairs which I hardly ever use (Vogel and Eternal) Loomstate - 6 pairs I use 2 pairs with tags (3 Genus, Channel, Mission) Yanuk - 2 pairs Corpus - 1 black (Slim B) Habitual - 2 pairs (chambray and khaki from gilt) Crate - 2 pairs (Sally's and Hamiltons)
    Why are you looking to purchase another pair? If it's because you have too much money, I'd gladly take it off your hands.

19. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

Seriously. Fade the hell out of the Sally and Hamilton, then get back to us.

20. raven37457

raven37457 Well-Known Member

Why are you looking to purchase another pair? If it's because you have too much money, I'd gladly take it off your hands.
    Well I have just become aware of A.P.C., Nudie, RRL, etc. and thought another pair would not hurt. Also, I am not crazy about the fit of the PDC's and a couple of Loomstate I have. Also, the Hamilton's are too big as well. I could go to the tailor... Just wondering what you guys thought.