1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. lilkatalyst

lilkatalyst Member

I'm looking to buy a pair of black jeans, not sure what to get.. I like the APC New Standard Black but I have never had any experience with dry, raw denims, think its a hassle doing the wash, haha.. I saw some Levi's 501 Original Fit Jean in Iconic Black color, http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/produ...63/cm--57831P/ not sure if these will shrink though.. Anyone know? If not, I will just buy my usually size like on my 514. If anyone know any better, cheap jeans, let me know! Thank you everyone for your help!

2. mulansauce

mulansauce Well-Known Member

You got that backwards. If you think it's a ahssle doing the wash, then you should enjoy raw denim.

3. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Well-Known Member

I have some APCs in the black. They are great. And I honestly think the raw jeans mentality and lifestyle is less important in black jeans. Just wear them for several months, turn them inside out, wash them alone in cold water, and hang dry!

4. lilkatalyst

lilkatalyst Member

oh hahah! didn't know it was that simple!! fine, i will go for the APC NS black then! just not exactly sure with my sizing.. I'm 5'9" tall and weigh 185.. I got some big thighs, haha.. I usually wear a size 34, pretty loose.. my true size would be 32

5. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Well-Known Member

You should have used the q&a thread for this

6. lilkatalyst

lilkatalyst Member

nevermind.. I decided just to get size 32

7. awxg

awxg Well-Known Member

I need a jean recommendation. Things to take into consideration:

- I am a complete jeans newbie.
    - I don't own any SF-approved jeans.
    - I have a tight budget for streetwear as I don't get to wear jeans often (about once a week).
    - Looking for something slim but not hugging the skin.
    - Slightly tapered and selvedge is a bonus but not necessary.
    - No preference between raw or washed. Although, I'm leaning towards raw slightly.

I've been browsing WAYWT and I'm liking APC NS and PBJ. Should I start with the APC-level stuff first or jump right in to Japanese denim?

8. blynch

blynch Well-Known Member

I need a jean recommendation. Things to take into consideration:

- I am a complete jeans newbie.
    - I don't own any SF-approved jeans.
    - I have a tight budget for streetwear as I don't get to wear jeans often (about once a week).
    - Looking for something slim but not hugging the skin.
    - Slightly tapered and selvedge is a bonus but not necessary.
    - No preference between raw or washed. Although, I'm leaning towards raw slightly.

I've been browsing WAYWT and I'm liking APC NS and PBJ. Should I start with the APC-level stuff first or jump right in to Japanese denim?

I'd consider Ande Whall, at $200 they aren't that much more than APC and are a much higher quality. I just got a pair and wish I had just started with them instead of getting APC as my first raw denim 6 months ago.

9. afici0nad0

afici0nad0 Member

other than nudies and ande whall, i'm not aware of any other brands that offer dry selvage in a boot/slim boot cut. most, if not all, that i've seen are geared towards the skinny or straight leg audience.

thoughts?

10. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

other than nudies and ande whall, i'm not aware of any other brands that offer dry selvage in a boot/slim boot cut. most, if not all, that i've seen are geared towards the skinny or straight leg audience.

thoughts?

5EP Low Down Boot from Farinelli's.

PBJ, Samurai, Studio D'Artisan all have a few bootcut models. Check out www.blueingreensoho.com

Imperial King is a relaxed bootcut.

11. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

^^^

RRL slimboot.

12. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Well-Known Member

Especially if you wear a 36x34, cause I've got a pair I'm looking to sell. [​IMG] Oh yeah, and if you wear a 33, click the link in my sig. [​IMG]

13. FreakyStyley

FreakyStyley Member

I searched and couldn't find much information about these jeans...

I just purchased WESC Lower men's 5-pocket jean in raw stretch selvage.
    The tag notes that they are 11.5 oz Japanese selvage
    98% cotton
    2% elastane

I'm a fairly short guy (5'6") so these jeans are huge on me. I need to get them hemmed. My old jeans (not raw) are 6 inches shorter than these jeans.
    After wear and wash how much do these jeans shrink? Right now I was thinking of taking 3" off.
    Should I bath in these and/or wash to shrink them first?

Obviously I'm a little new at this, and from everything I've read, each brand is different for their "instuctions"

Thank you

14. Timbaland

Timbaland Well-Known Member

I searched and couldn't find much information about these jeans...

I just purchased WESC Lower men's 5-pocket jean in raw stretch selvage.
    The tag notes that they are 11.5 oz Japanese selvage
    98% cotton
    2% elastane

I'm a fairly short guy (5'6") so these jeans are huge on me. I need to get them hemmed. My old jeans (not raw) are 6 inches shorter than these jeans.
    After wear and wash how much do these jeans shrink? Right now I was thinking of taking 3" off.
    Should I bath in these and/or wash to shrink them first?

Obviously I'm a little new at this, and from everything I've read, each brand is different for their "instuctions"

Thank you

Well first do you know if the jeans are sanforized? If it is they probably won't shrink more than 1 to 1.5 inches at the most. If they're not (example Levi's STF) then 3 inches is possible.

15. theom-

theom- Well-Known Member

Why do so many people question if jeans are sanforized? Most jeans are sanforized and will say so if they aren't. It is that simple. WESC jeans are sanforized like 95% of other brands out there.

16. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Well-Known Member

not even taking into consideration if they're sanforized or not, would jeans that aren't 100% cotton shrink much at all in the first place...? I'd imagine they wouldn't especially if its a cotton/elastane blend.

17. sploosh

sploosh Well-Known Member

I got mud on my stfs right on the knees where there is fading. Best way to get it off? I put a little water on the area and wiped/scratched it out but theres still a stain

18. van_hammersly

van_hammersly Well-Known Member

I have a pair of APC Petite Standards (26, sized down 2 from my natural waist) that fit great. But now i'm looking for jeans that fit similarly in the top and thighs (and with a low rise) but with a slightly wider leg opening (maybe half an inch or so). So I ordered a pair of New Standards sized down 3 and they were very loose, baggy and the rise was way too high. I'm really small / thin and now I'm thinking my frame is suited to extremely tapered jeans. But now I guess I'm just looking for a pair that's slightly wider at the leg opening. My Petite Standards measure 6.25 inches at the hem.

I'm sending the NS back to Context so I'll have $155 in store credit with them. Can anyone give me any recommendations off their website that might fit what I'm looking for? I'm interested in the KMW Rockers and wondering how tapered / skinny those are in comparison to the Petite Standards. There's also the Somet 008s but those have that weird dart in the leg I'm not a fan of.

Thanks!

19. Dane

Dane Well-Known Member

I got mud on my stfs right on the knees where there is fading. Best way to get it off? I put a little water on the area and wiped/scratched it out but theres still a stain

Don't be scared to wash your jeans.

20. sharpcelery

sharpcelery Active Member

I just bought a pair of uniqlo raw selvadge jeans, but the dye is rubbing off on everything. If I don't care about fading, should I just toss them in the wash?