1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I find myself on marginalized on SF

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Checks, Jul 13, 2006.

1. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Well-Known Member

Why not just have a multi-troll playpen, where they all can post and flame to their content, and we can pass by and see what depraved crap they're up to when we like. Wait, why does this sound familiar?

Exactly. This place of which you speak already exists.....just not on SF.

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

The Forum eradicated all the trolls and now we are Ernest-, Kalra- and Vaclav-freed. I don't know if that's a good thing.

I never saw any of them as "trolls", just "lively characters"...after all, they did seem genuinely interested in talking about clothes. A troll I would define as someone with a malicious intent, like calling all of us homos for being clotheswhores.

3. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

I never saw any of them as "trolls", just "lively characters"...after all, they did seem genuinely interested in talking about clothes. A troll I would define as someone with a malicious intent, like calling all of us homos for being clotheswhores.
    I think we have a "lively character" active right now...

4. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

I think we have a "lively character" active right now...

Oh, at least one.

5. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Well-Known Member

C'mon folks - the reports of SF's death are highly exaggerated. If we find ourselves bored, one answer is to start topics that are more of interest.

JLibourel, Do you feel the same flagging @ AAAC or is it an SF thing exclusively?

Also - we need more Manton!

Well, I think SF itself is fine; rather, I was posting about where I am in the life-cycle of an SF member.

My political leanings could have me posting hourly on Current Events, but I do politics for a living, so it's a bit like work.
    I'd love to post on Streetwear, but have nothing of interest to add.
    I tried posting on the music-related threads, but have ended up in a pissing contest on "Vinyl" so no fun there.
    The bank account will be depleted for the next few years, as we sock away money for the Gifted Child's college expenses, so I'm not shopping much.

Oh, how I yearn to be on the upward slope of the learning curve! Every "Blake-stitching" thread a revelation, every "Chang suit - pics!" thread a sartorial graduate class! Every "CT-50% off" well, nevermind...

6. Histrion

Histrion Well-Known Member

I, too, feel marginalized around here. I, sometimes, just can't find the proper english word to really express what I mean, even though my english is decent. And there's this other problem: as a student, I don't have enough money to indulge in my sartorials envy. As a matter of fact, I don't even own a suit just yet. I am merely reading the Clothing forum to guide myself and know where/what to buy when I will actually have to money to do so. And that will take a few years.

Oh, and not being American doesn't help either. You guys are always talking about amazing sales in NYC, Washington, etc... That just makes me envious. [​IMG]

7. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Well-Known Member

Oh, at least one.
    i hope youre talking about me..... and i agree that the trolls.... no, lively characters.... should not be banned at first.... i still miss vaclav....

8. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Well-Known Member

Is there a test one can take to determine if one is a "lively character" or a "genuine poster"? I suspect I am a troll...

You are in a desert and there is a turtle lying on its back...

9. cheapmutha

10. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

Oh, and not being American doesn't help either. You guys are always talking about amazing sales in NYC, Washington, etc... That just makes me envious. [​IMG]

Hah, try living in DC and not having the money to spend at the great Sack's and NM sales. We were just there on Sat and all I could afford were a couple pocket squares. Sigh.

bob

11. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

cheapmutha and denimdestroyedmylife are troll buddies. I'm only sorry I don't have photographic evidence.

12. cheapmutha

cheapmutha and denimdestroyedmylife are troll buddies. I'm only sorry I don't have photographic evidence.
    [​IMG]

13. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I wasn't satisfied with my own google image searching. I think DDML will be elevated to contributing styleforum member with his purchase of Alden cordovan boots. He may even want to join AskAndy.

14. cheapmutha

i own a fully canvassed hickey freeman jacket with real mop buttons and 2 pairs of AEs... why am i not a contributing member?

15. denimdestroyedmylife

He may even want to join AskAndy.
    I would never admit to searching the AA forums about Aldens and cordovan shell care.

16. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Well-Known Member

i own a fully canvassed hickey freeman jacket with real mop buttons and 2 pairs of AEs... why am i not a contributing member?

Because they are Hillcrests, not Park Aves, and we all know this.

17. cheapmutha

Because they are Hillcrests, not Park Aves, and we all know this.
    ahhh..... but they are polo and leeds.... oh well.... i guess ill just enjoy being the troll that is allowed to live under the SF bridge

18. wilson brother

wilson brother Well-Known Member

what do you mean about marginalized?

19. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

I, too, feel marginalized around here. I, sometimes, just can't find the proper english word to really express what I mean, even though my english is decent. And there's this other problem: as a student, I don't have enough money to indulge in my sartorials envy. As a matter of fact, I don't even own a suit just yet. I am merely reading the Clothing forum to guide myself and know where/what to buy when I will actually have to money to do so. And that will take a few years.

I wouldn't worry about this so much. In fact, this place is perfect for guys who don't have a lot of money but still want to look good - no matter where on the globe they are. I think there's two sides to the forum: one side is about what looks good, what fits good, what's appropriate, what should be worn with what, etc.; the other side is where can you find the things from the first side for the cheapest possible price. Also, a lot of us here subscribe to this quote (which I don't know who to attribute to): "I'm not rich, I'm just irresponsible."

20. denimdestroyedmylife

"Marginalized" means you are in the biggest club in the world.